London Banter

-   -   A40 traffic lights rephased? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/611-a40-traffic-lights-rephased.html)

Colin Rosenstiel August 27th 03 10:54 AM

A40 traffic lights rephased?

In article ,
(Grebbsy McLaren) wrote:

It was a dark and stormy night when Paul Terry
n.co.uk wrote in article ...
In message , Stuart
writes

Most named junctions have lost the things they were named after,
mostly knocked down cinemas or factories

Or long-departed undertakers in the case of Chalker's Corner (where
the A316 crosses the South Circular in Mortlake).

Chalkers were still there within my memory (i.e. the last ten years or
so, when I was at school in the area...)

And mine. Their name always amused my dad. "Chalker and Gamble" has a
certain something for a undertaker's.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Helen Deborah Vecht August 27th 03 11:31 AM

A40 traffic lights rephased?

(Colin Rosenstiel)typed

In article ,

(Grebbsy McLaren) wrote:

It was a dark and stormy night when Paul Terry
n.co.uk wrote in article ...
In message , Stuart
writes

Most named junctions have lost the things they were named after,
mostly knocked down cinemas or factories

Or long-departed undertakers in the case of Chalker's Corner (where
the A316 crosses the South Circular in Mortlake).

Chalkers were still there within my memory (i.e. the last ten years or
so, when I was at school in the area...)

And mine. Their name always amused my dad. "Chalker and Gamble" has a
certain something for a undertaker's.

As has the local Sidney Hurry...

--
Helen D. Vecht: