Old January 22nd 08, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Picc Line train indicators display Heathrow Term 5

At Hyde Park Corner station on Sunday, I noticed that the train
indicators said:

1st Heathrow Terms 123 & 5
2nd Rayners Lane
3rd Heathrow Term 4

Are trains already running in this pattern, or is the Picc just trying
to confuse tourists (and the odd Londoner)?

Old January 22nd 08, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Jan, 23:04, Stef Richards wrote:
1st *Heathrow Terms 123 & 5
2nd *Rayners Lane
3rd *Heathrow Term 4

Are trains already running in this pattern, or is the Picc just trying
to confuse tourists (and the odd Londoner)?

Yes they are. The trains are tipped out at 1,2,3 and run empty to T5.
A warning to change trains is announced at the last two or three
stations before the line splits.

The experience at T1,2,3 is very different. Whereas before all trains
went to central London and there was usually one waiting, tourists now
have to grasp not boarding a westbound train (which currently isn't
even allowed) then have to scrum get onboard a passing eastbound.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old January 23rd 08, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

indicators said:

1st Heathrow Terms 123 & 5
2nd Rayners Lane
3rd Heathrow Term 4

Are trains already running in this pattern, or is the Picc just trying
to confuse tourists (and the odd Londoner)?

It's just a reminder to flyers that they need to read the terms and
conditions for using Heathrow airport. Term 5 is a new part of the
terms and conditions which specifies that all shoppers... ahem,
flyers, must carry either a platinum credit card or GBP 1,000 in cash
as they make the short 5 mile walk from security through the airport
terminal building past the glittering array of tempting retail outlets
to their departure gate

Meanwhile Rayners Lane is a mistake - it is a misspelling of Ryanair
line. Those flying with Ryanair are instructed to take the first
Ryanair line train - after a short hop to the end of the line they
will then transfer to a bus that will take them on the short journey
from the Harrow area out to London Caernarfon Airport, where they can
then catch their Ryanair flight to Vienna's Bratislava airport. Please
note that any Ryanair passengers who make use of the train indicator
will be charged an 'optional provision of essential information' fee
of £2.50 (exc. VAT) - also note that a fee handling charge of 50p
applies, and anyone paying using methods other than Ryanair payment
vouchers will be surcharged a 30% admin fee.
Old January 23rd 08, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Stef Richards
writes
indicators said:

1st Heathrow Terms 123 & 5
2nd Rayners Lane
3rd Heathrow Term 4

Are trains already running in this pattern, or is the Picc just trying
to confuse tourists (and the odd Londoner)?

This is now how the timetable is operated since 13 January.

T4 trains stand for 7-8 mins at T4 though, and T5 trains will operate as
a direct T123 train, detrain, and then work to T5 with an instructor for
driver training purposes. Therefore passengers for T123 are generally
better getting the following T123 & 5 train as they will reach their
destination quicker.

There is a T4 train only every 10 minutes now.

This has caused some discussion at work, as we've been told that all
trains should be described as a T123 (pending alterations to the
destination kit). This is at variance with the TfL website and the Train
Describers you've noticed. Discussions are continuing as many of us
maintain we should be sending a consistent message out to the travelling
public and trains should be described as to their correct destination
(ie T4 or T123 as appropriate).
Old January 23rd 08, 01:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Mizter T writes

indicators said:

[...]

Now that made me genuinely ROFL!

Good man!

Old January 23rd 08, 06:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
15:18:54 on Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Mr Thant
remarked:
The experience at T1,2,3 is very different. Whereas before all trains
went to central London and there was usually one waiting, tourists now
have to grasp not boarding a westbound train (which currently isn't
even allowed) then have to scrum get onboard a passing eastbound.

I'm not sure that's the end of the world, because tourists don't
necessarily expect to board a train at a terminus station. For example,
already at the T123 Heathrow Express station, or Schiphol.
Old January 23rd 08, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Jan, 01:56, Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote:
In message , Stef Richards
writes

indicators said:

1st Heathrow Terms 123 & 5
2nd Rayners Lane
3rd Heathrow Term 4

Are trains already running in this pattern, or is the Picc just trying
to confuse tourists (and the odd Londoner)?

This is now how the timetable is operated since 13 January.

T4 trains stand for 7-8 mins at T4 though, and T5 trains will operate as
a direct T123 train, detrain, and then work to T5 with an instructor for
driver training purposes. Therefore passengers for T123 are generally
better getting the following T123 & 5 train as they will reach their
destination quicker.

Specifically catching a T123 & 5 train is what I've been led to
believe is best, from past discussions here, given the delay on a T4
train as it stands at T4 (incidentally is there a change of driver
here, or do you just get a break?). However I did read one post on the
District Dave forum (I think) that suggested that catching a via T4
loop train to reach T123 & 5 wasn't really a big deal.

There is a T4 train only every 10 minutes now.

I don't know the ins and outs of the Piccadilly timetable, but the TfL
journey planner certainly seems to suggest that there is also only a
10 minute service to T123 (for a journey from Hyde Park Corner at
around midday today).

If this is the case there could be problems if all passengers in
central London who want to go to T123 & 5 (when it opens) rather than
T4 wait for the appropriate train - the T4 loop trains could end up
rather empty and the others rather full. I'm sure you've all had such
discussions, but what's your take on that?

Also (and this demonstrates my lack of Pic line operational
knowledge), is it worth getting a Rayners Lane train and changing at
Acton Town?

This has caused some discussion at work, as we've been told that all
trains should be described as a T123 (pending alterations to the
destination kit). This is at variance with the TfL website and the Train
Describers you've noticed. Discussions are continuing as many of us
maintain we should be sending a consistent message out to the travelling
public and trains should be described as to their correct destination
(ie T4 or T123 as appropriate).

I have to agree with you on that one. Getting two conflicting bits of
information is genuinely confusing. When might the destination kit on
the train get altered?
Old January 23rd 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
01:33:23 on Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Also (and this demonstrates my lack of Pic line operational
knowledge), is it worth getting a Rayners Lane train and changing at
Acton Town?

On the basis that "a train in the platform is worth two on the departure
board" it is *always* worth getting one as far as you can, then
changing, if you are at all time-constrained on the journey.

For all you know, just after you've passed Hammersmith someone will jump
onto the lines there, and then your only hope of getting to LHR for the
next couple of hours will be an ad-hoc shuttle service from Acton Town.
Old January 23rd 08, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Jan, 01:01, Mizter T wrote:
On 22 Jan, 23:04, Stef Richards wrote:

as they make the short 5 mile walk from security through the airport
terminal building past the glittering array of tempting retail outlets
to their departure gate

Having taken part in a passenger trial last Saturday, I speak from
experience when I tell you that it's a lot shorter than you think it
is....I was suitably impressed - although NOT with the current signage
- it stinks! No one could find the baggage area when coming through EU
arrivals, for instance!

This has caused some discussion at work, as we've been told that all
trains should be described as a T123 (pending alterations to the
destination kit). This is at variance with the TfL website and the Train
Describers you've noticed. Discussions are continuing as many of us
maintain we should be sending a consistent message out to the travelling
public and trains should be described as to their correct destination
(ie T4 or T123 as appropriate).

All it says now at Hatton Cross is 'check front of train' on the
indicator boards - not a lot of bloody use, when the trains all still
have T123 on the front. THe drivers are meant to make announcements,
but there were no staff on the platform & if the driver makes no
announcement on train, or if they do & your sat on the platform seats,
you have no time to reach the train before the doors are
shut.....Grrrrr
Old January 23rd 08, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
01:33:23 on Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Mizter T remarked:

Also (and this demonstrates my lack of Pic line operational
knowledge), is it worth getting a Rayners Lane train and changing at
Acton Town?

On the basis that "a train in the platform is worth two on the departure
board" it is *always* worth getting one as far as you can, then
changing, if you are at all time-constrained on the journey.

For all you know, just after you've passed Hammersmith someone will jump
onto the lines there, and then your only hope of getting to LHR for the
next couple of hours will be an ad-hoc shuttle service from Acton Town.

I certainly operate on that principle, no doubt. However others don't
- or more likely they're a bit more sensible and less likely to cut it
fine than I am - so I'm just wondering what advice I should give
anyone who asks.

As well as the hassle of moving bags from train to platform to train
(not something I'd find an issue but others would), there's also the
possibility that one loses out on a potential seat for the whole
journey (again not a great concern of mine, though I did once struggle
to find a space when getting on a very packed Heathrow-bound Pic line
train at Acton Town).