Old February 12th 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default M25 Speed cameras

FYI

Don't let the *******s get you.

All

I have just been informed by my dad who works for the Metropolitan Police
Service that as and from the 15th February 08 all the Speed Cameras in the
Variable Speed Limit section of the M25 near Heathrow Airport (JCT 10-15)
are going Digital and the activation limit is being lowered.

They are currently the older film type cameras and Set at 90mph when the
Variable Limit Signs are not in operation.

The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% 0f the speed
limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically) when the signs are
not in use i.e. national speed limit. I can't confirm the activation limit
when the signs are set (variable limits showing) but believe it would be
the same 10% + 2mph of the speed shown by the sign at that time.

Please pass this on to anyone you know.

I hope this saves a few of you getting points on your licence!!!

Old February 12th 08, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:52:45 on
Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Anon remarked:
The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% 0f the speed
limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically)

A true 80mph will typically be over 95mph indicated, so I have no
sympathy for people caught by these cameras.
Old February 12th 08, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Feb, 12:14, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:52:45 on
Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Anon remarked:

The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% 0f the speed
limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically)

A true 80mph will typically be over 95mph indicated, so I have no
sympathy for people caught by these cameras.

Perhaps I'm being thick Roland but I don't really understand the point
you're making - how is "a true 80mph" in fact "typically [...] over
95mph indicated" ?!
Old February 12th 08, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Feb, 12:26, Mizter T wrote:
On 12 Feb, 12:14, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:52:45 on
Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Anon remarked:

The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% 0f the speed
limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically)

A true 80mph will typically be over 95mph indicated, so I have no
sympathy for people caught by these cameras.

Perhaps I'm being thick Roland but I don't really understand the point
you're making - how is "a true 80mph" in fact "typically [...] over
95mph indicated" ?!

The diference between what the speedomoter reads and the actual speed.
I have a Origin B2 in my car which has GPS speed indication. The
difference between it and my cars speedomoter is roughly 3mpg ...
granted, my car is relaively new and the Germans know precision but
all the same I think 15mph variance is pretty unlikely even with an
Austin Healy rustbucket (but it probably couldn't get to 80 in the
first place!)
Old February 12th 08, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
04:26:08 on Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Mizter T remarked:
The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% 0f the speed
limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically)

A true 80mph will typically be over 95mph indicated, so I have no
sympathy for people caught by these cameras.

Perhaps I'm being thick Roland but I don't really understand the point
you're making - how is "a true 80mph" in fact "typically [...] over
95mph indicated" ?!

Sorry, a typo. I meant 85mph, of course.

Old February 12th 08, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Anon wrote:

FYI

Don't let the *******s get you.

All

I have just been informed by my dad who works for the Metropolitan Police
Service that as and from the 15th February 08 all the Speed Cameras in the
Variable Speed Limit section of the M25 near Heathrow Airport (JCT 10-15)
are going Digital and the activation limit is being lowered.

They are currently the older film type cameras and Set at 90mph when the
Variable Limit Signs are not in operation.

The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% of the speed
limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically) when the signs are
not in use i.e. national speed limit. I can't confirm the activation limit
when the signs are set (variable limits showing) but believe it would be
the same 10% + 2mph of the speed shown by the sign at that time.

AIUI the 10% + 2mph formula used to be the official guidance from the
Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) to police forces, but I
was under the impression that it was dropped, officially at least,
when Transport 2000 threatened legal action back in 2000 - as detailed
by these two BBC News online stories:

Transport 2000 granted permission for judicial review of ACPO policy:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/763331.stm

ACPO climbs down after threat of judicial review:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/848464.stm

(The first story speaks of a 5mph 'buffer', but the second correctly
states that the 'buffer' was in fact 10% + 2mph.)

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that police forces still use
the 10% + 2mph formula when it comes to setting the trigger speeds for
speed cameras.
Old February 12th 08, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Feb, 12:45, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
04:26:08 on Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Mizter T remarked:

The new digital cameras are going to be set at the normal 10% 0f the speed
limit + 2mph (80mph + and your taking a risk basically)

A true 80mph will typically be over 95mph indicated, so I have no
sympathy for people caught by these cameras.

Perhaps I'm being thick Roland but I don't really understand the point
you're making - how is "a true 80mph" in fact "typically [...] over
95mph indicated" ?!

Sorry, a typo. I meant 85mph, of course.

OK, stupidly I hadn't figured that out!

I've never really used a sat-nav system to compare true speeds with
indicated speeds, so I've never really been aware of the difference
between the 'true' speed I've been travelling at as opposed to the
'indicated' speed.

I guess that implementing a very accurate vehicle speedometer system
is hard to do, so I wonder if most vehicle (and in particular car)
manufacturers design their speedometers "on the safe side", so as to
indicate a faster speed than the true speed - based on the rationale
that it's better for drivers to think they're going faster than they
are, rather than think they are going slower than they are?
Old February 12th 08, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
05:02:55 on Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Mizter T remarked:
I've never really used a sat-nav system

Do they display a GPS speed? I use a rather older handheld GPS system
(that doesn't have maps).

to compare true speeds with indicated speeds, so I've never really been
aware of the difference between the 'true' speed I've been travelling
at as opposed to the 'indicated' speed.

My current car indicates 60mph at a true 56mph. And similarly pro-rata
at higher speeds.

I guess that implementing a very accurate vehicle speedometer system
is hard to do, so I wonder if most vehicle (and in particular car)
manufacturers design their speedometers "on the safe side", so as to
indicate a faster speed than the true speed - based on the rationale
that it's better for drivers to think they're going faster than they
are, rather than think they are going slower than they are?

They are legally required to. Any error *has* to mean the speedo is
over-reading.
Old February 12th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Anon wrote:

FYI
All
I have just been informed by my dad who works for the Metropolitan Police
Service....

This was posted on nanother group last week, and the result was that it
is thought to be a usenet/email hoax.

Please pass this on to anyone you know.

Which proves the above.
Alan.

Old February 12th 08, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
,
at 05:02:55 on Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Mizter T
remarked:
I've never really used a sat-nav system

Do they display a GPS speed?

TomTom does. It gives lat long as well.

It doesn't give height, though. Is it hard for GPS to be used to determine
height above sea level?