Old February 14th 08, 10:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Overground new stock

On 14 Feb, 09:16, "Richard J." wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

The class 172 trains will work the Gospel Oak to Barking line (north
east London)- the so-called "GOBLIN", though that's definitely an
unofficial name!

The only other diesel trains that provide an element of local
service in London are really just longer distance trains, and run
out of Marylebone and Paddington.

Except for the Paddington-Greenford service. I think that it and GOBLIN
are the only two diesel services that operate entirely within Greater
London.
--
Richard J.

I knew I'd overlook something! I guess I was lumping the Paddington-
Greenford service in with all the other Paddington services, but as
you rightly say it's very much a local service.

Old February 14th 08, 11:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 14 Feb, 09:16, "Richard J." wrote:
Except for the Paddington-Greenford service. *I think that it and GOBLIN
are the only two diesel services that operate entirely within Greater
London.

A lot of local London rail services leave the boundary though. I'd
count the Chiltern most-stops service to Gerrard's Cross. I think the
next the FGW semi-fasts to Oxford, calling several stops in London.
There's very little after that - and I'm fairly sure the diesel South
West Trains service suggested upthread is pick-up/set-down only at
Clapham Junction, so that doesn't count.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old February 14th 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Feb 14, 12:11 pm, Mr Thant
wrote:
Except for the Paddington-Greenford service. I think that it and GOBLIN
are the only two diesel services that operate entirely within Greater
London.

A lot of local London rail services leave the boundary though. I'd
count the Chiltern most-stops service to Gerrard's Cross. I think the
next the FGW semi-fasts to Oxford, calling several stops in London.
There's very little after that - and I'm fairly sure the diesel South
West Trains service suggested upthread is pick-up/set-down only at
Clapham Junction, so that doesn't count.

There are also the slow hourly FGWs to Reading calling at (I think)
more London stops, and certainly a higher proportion of London stops,
than the Oxford slows.

Are the Southern services to Uckfield pick-up/set-down only at East
Croydon? And does XC still run between Olympia and East Croydon?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old February 14th 08, 12:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 14 Feb, 12:11, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 14 Feb, 09:16, "Richard J." wrote:

Except for the Paddington-Greenford service. I think that it and GOBLIN
are the only two diesel services that operate entirely within Greater
London.

A lot of local London rail services leave the boundary though. I'd
count the Chiltern most-stops service to Gerrard's Cross. I think the
next the FGW semi-fasts to Oxford, calling several stops in London.
There's very little after that - and I'm fairly sure the diesel South
West Trains service suggested upthread is pick-up/set-down only at
Clapham Junction, so that doesn't count.

The down (ex Waterloo) South West Trains diesel services are pick up
only at Clapham Junction. This is specifically noted in the relevant
SWT timetable booklet, and they are not advertised as stopping at CJ
on the Waterloo departure boards.

The up diesel services (to Waterloo) however are not restricted as
pick-up only. I think they are advertised as Waterloo services on the
departure screens at CJ, as well as on the big LED departure board in
the southern ticket hall/ concourse. However the signs and posters at
CJ direct all Waterloo bound passengers to platforms 3, 4 or 10 from
whence very regular trains depart.

The longer distance services, including the diesel trains, stop at
platform 7 (though at times of disruption I have seen them stop at
platform 8, which the opposite platform face to p7 on an island
platform).

On the bridge and in the subway there are platform specific LED based
PIS displays - however those for platform 7 and 8 do not display the
next train information, merely some generic "Welcome to CJ" text.
However, down at platform level the PIS displays *do* show the times
of the next three trains to Waterloo. You can see the one on platform
7 from the top of the stairs on the bridge if you bend over a bit!

I've taken trains from platform 7 a few times, in part just because I
can and because it's something different from the norm, also because
they don't stop at Vauxhall (or Queenstown Rd) so notionally they
could get to Waterloo faster - however this often seemed to backfire,
as those trains often seem to get held outside Waterloo waiting for a
platform whilst across the tracks one can see the less exotic suburban
services trundle right into an empty waiting platform.

Anyway, I would agree that these up trains don't count as they're not
providing a local service - between CJ and Waterloo that is quite
bountifully provided by suburban electric trains.
Old February 14th 08, 12:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 14 Feb, 12:44, John B wrote:
On Feb 14, 12:11 pm, Mr Thant

wrote:
Except for the Paddington-Greenford service. I think that it and GOBLIN
are the only two diesel services that operate entirely within Greater
London.

A lot of local London rail services leave the boundary though. I'd
count the Chiltern most-stops service to Gerrard's Cross. I think the
next the FGW semi-fasts to Oxford, calling several stops in London.
There's very little after that - and I'm fairly sure the diesel South
West Trains service suggested upthread is pick-up/set-down only at
Clapham Junction, so that doesn't count.

There are also the slow hourly FGWs to Reading calling at (I think)
more London stops, and certainly a higher proportion of London stops,
than the Oxford slows.

Are the Southern services to Uckfield pick-up/set-down only at East
Croydon? And does XC still run between Olympia and East Croydon?

I don't think Southern's Uckfield service is pick-up/set-down only at
East Croydon - the PDF timetables on Southern's website certainly
don't suggest this is the case:

http://southernrailway.go-cms.co.uk/...able_a_165.pdf
http://southernrailway.go-cms.co.uk/...able_a_205.pdf

XC does still run between Olympia and East Croydon - I think it's two
trains a day each way, but the timetable needs a bit of decoding to
work this out as the East Croydon and Olympia stops only appear in the
notes:

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/...ssets/3/16.pdf

Old February 14th 08, 12:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

I don't think Southern's Uckfield service is pick-up/set-down only at
East Croydon - the PDF timetables on Southern's website certainly
don't suggest this is the case:

It isn't. I use them regularly.

Old February 14th 08, 12:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:58:39 -0800 (PST), Mr Thant
wrote:

What alternative are you suggesting would be cheaper?

I was under the impression that the Government were putting actual
cash up, like BR would have had.

What, like they did for the class 50s? Leasing is nothing new.

Robin
Old February 14th 08, 01:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Pound sterling symbol and usenet posts (was: Overground newstock)

Kirk Northrop wrote

regional characters. So, how many people get gibberish when I say the
price of a One Day Bus Pass currently stands at £3.50?

You'd think that most reasonably modern newsreaders would be able to
use
UTF-8, wouldn't you...

UTF-8 is fairly rare, or rather characters other than basic ascii and
utf-8 are uncommon and may be mistaken for some other fault.

On a private news-server (Baen's Bar) with many utf-8 posts one US user
of Agent found his setup gave ? for curly quotes because he wasn't
using a Unicode font.

I don't recognise Alpine, but many reasonably modern newsreaders don't
handle Html well either.

--
Mike D

Old February 14th 08, 10:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Once upon a time -- around about 2/13/08 19:35 --
possibly wrote:

So, how many people get gibberish when I say the
price of a One Day Bus Pass currently stands at £3.50?

Works fine here in the USA

--
A true friend would stab you in the front. -- Anon

Old February 14th 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Pound sterling symbol and usenet posts

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Chris Tolley wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

I'm well aware that others use the GBP notation, but I do find it
somewhat cumbersome, especially on a uk.* newsgroup where I would
expect many readers usenet clients to be able to handle the correct
regional characters. So, how many people get gibberish when I say the
price of a One Day Bus Pass currently stands at £3.50?

Some. Then some more get gibberish when someone who got gibberish
replies to your post, quoting it, and so on.

There will also be some people who for bizarre reasons not worth going
into think that the symbol pronounced "pound" is a noughts-and-crosses
grid.

Astounding! As any fule know, this is called the octothorpe.

tom

--
Work alone does not suffice: the efforts must be intelligent. -- Charles
B. Rogers