Old February 16th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Fare and routing query

On 16 Feb, 19:55, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 16 Feb, 18:05, wrote:

So would Ruislip (Metropolitan Line) - Kings Cross (Victoria Line) -
Highbury & Islington (London Overground) - Hackney Central route be
perfectly acceptable even though the TFL planner suggests changing at
Finchley Rd and Finchley Rd + Frognal ?

Absolutely. In fact, the Oyster Terms and Conditions say nothing about
taking a direct or obvious route (some other ticket types do), so you
can spend up to two hours roaming the system before you get to
Hackney, as long as you touch in at the start and out at the end.

Excellent. Thanks very much everyone. I was just worried that if I
crossed into and went through zone 1 I would be penalised very much
like someone with a zone 2-6 Travelcard travelling through zone 1.

Thanks all !

uc

Old February 17th 08, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:35:10 -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

Thanks Paul. So imagine this scenario. I have £1.00 on my Oyster and I
want to go from Ruislip to Hackney Central on Saturday night.The TFL
fare finder says the fare is £1.00. I touch in at Ruislip and touch
out at Finchley Rd. The fare for that stretch would also be £1.00 so
in effect is there nothing on my card now ?

I'll leave it to someone else to confirm what happens around £0.00!, but I
don't think your theoretical £1.00 card would work that way. At your first
touch in, £4.00 (the max LU cash fare) is deducted, and when you touch out
after your £1.00 journey, £3.00 is added back, leaving £0. In that case I
wonder if you'd get through a further barrier?

If it's a valid out-of-station interchange, then yes the second entry
barrier will let you through on a balance of £0.00.

Don't know what happens if you take your balance negative by travelling
further than your £1.00 journey though, I've never taken the balance that
low on mine...

I *think* the second entry barrier will also let you through even on a
negative balance (I think I've done it once before, but can't quite
remember for sure).

I wonder what happens if you top up your balance during an
out-of-station interchange? Does it break the continuity of the
journey?