Old February 21st 08, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default police at Farringdon

Why the heavy police presence at Farringdon station the other
Saturday?

Old February 21st 08, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 21, 1:12 pm, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com
wrote:
Why the heavy police presence at Farringdon station the other
Saturday?

Was it during the evening? If so, that happens quite a lot, especially
on Friday nights. Farringdon is the closest station to the Fabric
club, and it's not uncommon for there to be a bunch of coppers with
sniffer dogs waiting for people leaving the trains. One evening we
spent in the Castle pub next to the station we witnessed 4 or 5 police
vans parked outside, slowly filling up with people.
Old February 21st 08, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Feb, 13:12, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote:
Why the heavy police presence at Farringdon station the other
Saturday?

Luton Town were playing away to Leyton Orient on saturday (kick off
was 3pm), so I'd presume that these were British Transport Police and
they were there to monitor/control/herd travelling Luton fans (who
have a bit of a reputation) - the obvious route from Luton is FCC
Thameslink to Farringdon, Circle/Met/H&C line to Liverpool Street,
Central line to Leyton, walk to Brisbane Road, which is the ground of
"the O's" - hence the presence at Farringdon.

Indeed given that this is the first station where the fans would get
off the train, it is an opportunity for the plod to check them through
for troublemakers and generally make their presence felt (though I'm
not quite sure whether information sharing about troublemakers between
local police forces, such as Bedfordshire Police who cover Luton, and
the BTP is actually any good).

An alternative route from Luton to Leyton would have been alighting at
City Thameslink, then a short walk to St Paul's tube station and
directly from there to Leyton on the Central line.

Incidentally Luton Town lost 1-0 - a match summary suggests that they
weren't very good.

James has provided an alternative explanation upthread.
Old February 21st 08, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 21, 2:39�pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 21 Feb, 13:12, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote:

Why the heavy police presence at Farringdon station the other
Saturday?

Luton Town were playing away to Leyton Orient on saturday (kick off
was 3pm), so I'd presume that these were British Transport Police and
they were there to monitor/control/herd travelling Luton fans (who
have a bit of a reputation)

The match was played at Luton!
So the police may have been waiting for the thousands of Orient fans
on their way home from Kenilworth Road?

Burkey
Old February 21st 08, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 21, 2:51Â*pm, wrote:
On Feb 21, 2:39�pm, Mizter T wrote:

On 21 Feb, 13:12, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote:

Why the heavy police presence at Farringdon station the other
Saturday?

Luton Town were playing away to Leyton Orient on saturday (kick off
was 3pm), so I'd presume that these were British Transport Police and
they were there to monitor/control/herd travelling Luton fans (who
have a bit of a reputation)

The match was played at Luton!
So the police may have been waiting for the thousands of Orient fans
on their way home from Kenilworth Road?

Burkey

See recent threads about heavy-handed ticket barrier checks aided by
police and dogs around the nation recently.
Tim

Old February 21st 08, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I should have specified - threads on uk.railway
Tim
Old February 21st 08, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Feb, 14:51, wrote:
On Feb 21, 2:39�pm, Mizter T wrote:

On 21 Feb, 13:12, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote:

Why the heavy police presence at Farringdon station the other
Saturday?

Luton Town were playing away to Leyton Orient on saturday (kick off
was 3pm), so I'd presume that these were British Transport Police and
they were there to monitor/control/herd travelling Luton fans (who
have a bit of a reputation)

The match was played at Luton!

Details, details... please, don't bother me with all the details!

Being serious... er, whoops, that is a pretty stupid mistake to make.
My apologies!

So the police may have been waiting for the thousands of Orient fans
on their way home from Kenilworth Road?

Burkey

Could be - if so it's likely they would have been there earlier in the
day to watch over the Orient fans on their way up to Luton.

Farringdon is the likely departure point for Orient fans from many
parts of east London to head up to Luton - there or St. Pancras. I'm
not really sure that O's fans have that kind of a reputation, but that
said there could well be some tensions with Luton Town in particular.
Old February 23rd 08, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 21, 3:41Â*pm, TimB wrote:
On Feb 21, 2:51Â*pm, wrote:

On Feb 21, 2:39�pm, Mizter T wrote:

On 21 Feb, 13:12, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote:

Why the heavy police presence at Farringdon station the other
Saturday?

Luton Town were playing away to Leyton Orient on saturday (kick off
was 3pm), so I'd presume that these were British Transport Police and
they were there to monitor/control/herd travelling Luton fans (who
have a bit of a reputation)

The match was played at Luton!
So the police may have been waiting for the thousands of Orient fans
on their way home from Kenilworth Road?

Burkey

See recent threads about heavy-handed ticket barrier checks aided by
police and dogs around the nation recently.

Or is that police searches aided by ticket checks?