Old February 27th 08, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default When to use standalone validators (NR - tube)

I thought I generally understood Oyster, but I seem to have confused
myself last weekend.

I was coming in to London Bridge from East Croydon on an FCC train,
using a paper ticket single because my PAYG Oyster isn't valid on that
route. When I got off the train at London Bridge there were standalone
Oyster validators on the platform.

Now this was the first time I'd been to the station, so not knowing the
layout I assumed that there would be a non-gated interchange to the tube
and so touched my Oyster onto the validator. Shortly afterwards
(following the "London Underground this way" signs) I went through the
exit barrier which took my paper ticket, and then I had to go through a
standard tube barrier which classed my Oyster touch as an entry, and
hence levied a £5 maximum cash fare on my card, for the earlier touch on
the NR platform validator.

OK, so I made a mistake. I phoned the Oyster helpline and got it
refunded. But my point is, I had no way to know whether or not to use
the standalone on-platform validators. The NR/tube interchange I'm most
familiar is Stratford, and if I was getting off a NR train there to
change to, say, the Central Line, I *would* be required to use the
validators as there's nowhere else to touch in.

Perhaps the on-platform validators need some kind of explanatory notice
nearby to let travellers know when they should and shouldn't be used?

Iain

Old February 27th 08, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Iain wrote:

Perhaps the on-platform validators need some kind of explanatory notice
nearby to let travellers know when they should and shouldn't be used?

Maybe they should just remove the maximum fare when you touch in at a
connected LU station. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it as much.

Explanatory text would be nice too, of course.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 27th 08, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 27, 8:00*pm, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Iain wrote:
Perhaps the on-platform validators need some kind of explanatory notice
nearby to let travellers know when they should and shouldn't be used?

Maybe they should just remove the maximum fare when you touch in at a
connected LU station. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it as much.

Explanatory text would be nice too, of course.

The variations are more complicated. At Stratford, if you get off the
DLR and touch the platform validator, is it classed as a touch out
from DLR or touch in from NR, and what happens when you touch out
again at the gate? I know that if I ignore the platform validator
when leaving the DLR, the gate counts as touching out and there's no
penalty.

But at Greenwich, where there are similar validators (for DLR
passengers an apparently identical situation to Stratford) there are
no gates so you have to use the platform one, which might have only
been for changing to/from NR.

(I need to do another thread about badly-placed DLR validators.)
Old February 28th 08, 06:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(I need to do another thread about badly-placed DLR validators.)

Yes please!

OC

OK I'll do it.