Old March 12th 08, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Goods And Coal Depot, E16

Verbena Close, E16, has a gantry over its entrance which reads "Goods And
Coal Depot". I think the site originally covered the area now occupied by
Verbena Close as well as the area covered by Cranberry Lane and its
sideroads. But I'm baffled about why the site is at right angles to the
North London Line, or how a rail connection to the North London Line would
have crossed Manor Rd. A connection to the LTSR makes even less sense.
Thanks for any clues.

Old March 12th 08, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Mar, 23:55, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Verbena Close, E16, has a gantry over its entrance which reads "Goods And
Coal Depot". I think the site originally covered the area now occupied by
Verbena Close as well as the area covered by Cranberry Lane and its
sideroads. But I'm baffled about why the site is at right angles to the
North London Line, or how a rail connection to the North London Line would
have crossed Manor Rd

Go to www.old-maps.co.uk and put in the address, and click through to
the 1920 maps along the bottom. It's shown as a spur going from the
North London Line to the south (ie from Canning Town) going under
Manor Road at the junction with Stephenson Street. There are no houses
west of Pretoria Road or north of Hilda Road, and the northern
boundary appears to be Gainsbrorough Road.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old March 12th 08, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Verbena Close, E16, has a gantry over its entrance which reads "Goods And
Coal Depot". I think the site originally covered the area now occupied by
Verbena Close as well as the area covered by Cranberry Lane and its
sideroads. But I'm baffled about why the site is at right angles to the
North London Line, or how a rail connection to the North London Line would
have crossed Manor Rd. A connection to the LTSR makes even less sense.
Thanks for any clues.

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious but what suggests it was a rail depot?

ESB

Old March 13th 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 12 Mar, 23:55, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Verbena Close, E16, has a gantry over its entrance which reads
"Goods And Coal Depot". I think the site originally covered the area
now occupied by Verbena Close as well as the area covered by
Cranberry Lane and its sideroads. But I'm baffled about why the site
is at right angles to the North London Line, or how a rail
connection to the North London Line would have crossed Manor Rd

Go to www.old-maps.co.uk and put in the address, and click through to
the 1920 maps along the bottom.

Thanks... I, er, had never noticed that you could step through different
years on this site... You may get fewer questions and more answers from me
in future :-)

It's shown as a spur going from the
North London Line to the south (ie from Canning Town) going under
Manor Road at the junction with Stephenson Street. There are no houses
west of Pretoria Road or north of Hilda Road, and the northern
boundary appears to be Gainsbrorough Road.

Thanks. Prior to visiting Verbena Close I had a quick look at the arches
carrying Manor Rd at the Stephenson St junction, and they didn't look like
they ever had a diagonal line under them, which is why I was confused....
but in this recent-ish photo
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...5580&encType=1
the passage of the track is quite clear. The conversion of the arches to a
self-storage site since that photo was taken must have obscured the evidence
at ground level, although the parapets presumably still give the game away.
(If anyone can guess exactly why I checked the arches for a diagonal railway
line *prior* to the sign at Verbena Close alerting me to the existence of
the yard, I'll be impressed.)

I think Pretoria Rd is a crazy place to have the street entrance to a goods
yard, though.

Old March 13th 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Verbena Close, E16, has a gantry over its entrance which reads "Goods And
Coal Depot". I think the site originally covered the area now occupied by
Verbena Close as well as the area covered by Cranberry Lane and its
sideroads. But I'm baffled about why the site is at right angles to the
North London Line, or how a rail connection to the North London Line
would have crossed Manor Rd. A connection to the LTSR makes even less
sense. Thanks for any clues.

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious but what suggests it was a rail depot?

Are there any demolished "Goods And Coal Depot"s which were not rail
connected?

Old March 13th 08, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 01:14:10 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Thanks. Prior to visiting Verbena Close I had a quick look at the arches
carrying Manor Rd at the Stephenson St junction, and they didn't look like
they ever had a diagonal line under them, which is why I was confused....
but in this recent-ish photo
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...5580&encType=1
the passage of the track is quite clear. The conversion of the arches to a
self-storage site since that photo was taken must have obscured the evidence
at ground level, although the parapets presumably still give the game away.
(If anyone can guess exactly why I checked the arches for a diagonal railway
line *prior* to the sign at Verbena Close alerting me to the existence of
the yard, I'll be impressed.)

I think Pretoria Rd is a crazy place to have the street entrance to a goods
yard, though.

Guess - it started as a siding for bringing in building materials for
the housing estate and the railway then decided to retain it supply
the inhabitants with coal etc. Anyone know the dates?

Incidentally, it seems to have been "Plaistow and West Ham depot" and
to have been an early closure - my 1960 street map shows schools on
the site.

--
Peter Lawrence
Old March 14th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

Shown as a Goods Depot in a 20's Bacon's street atlas.