London Banter

-   -   LEZ, Congestion charge and foreign vehicles (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6391-lez-congestion-charge-foreign-vehicles.html)

somersetchris[_2_] March 24th 08 01:08 PM

LEZ, Congestion charge and foreign vehicles

If a foreign car or lorry comes into London and does not pay, then
drives straight to the port and back overseas. What happens?
I ask because there seems to be a lot of Romanian lorries around
nowadays. Also the other day when walking along Baker Street I noticed
quite a few cars with Polish and Baltic States number plates.

JNugent[_3_] March 24th 08 02:12 PM

somersetchris wrote:

If a foreign car or lorry comes into London and does not pay, then
drives straight to the port and back overseas. What happens?
I ask because there seems to be a lot of Romanian lorries around
nowadays. Also the other day when walking along Baker Street I noticed
quite a few cars with Polish and Baltic States number plates.

Whan that happens, poor Ken has to make up the difference out of his own
pocket.

Paul Terry March 24th 08 02:28 PM

LEZ, Congestion charge and foreign vehicles

In message
,
somersetchris writes

If a foreign car or lorry comes into London and does not pay, then
drives straight to the port and back overseas. What happens?

TfL send the details to Euro Parking Collection, who have access to the
vehicle databases of many (but not all)) EU countries. If they are not
able to collect the fine, the vehicle is liable to be clamped if it
returns to the Congestion Zone without paying.

--
Paul Terry

Conor March 24th 08 03:35 PM

LEZ, Congestion charge and foreign vehicles

In article 34127adc-0bd1-4ab8-a71b-3812b267b236
@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com, somersetchris says...
If a foreign car or lorry comes into London and does not pay, then
drives straight to the port and back overseas. What happens?
I ask because there seems to be a lot of Romanian lorries around
nowadays. Also the other day when walking along Baker Street I noticed
quite a few cars with Polish and Baltic States number plates.

The same as happens with speeding fines and parking fines - they get
thrown in the bin as there's sod all chance of getting the money.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Conor March 24th 08 03:38 PM

LEZ, Congestion charge and foreign vehicles

In article , Paul Terry says...
In message
,
somersetchris writes

If a foreign car or lorry comes into London and does not pay, then
drives straight to the port and back overseas. What happens?

TfL send the details to Euro Parking Collection, who have access to the
vehicle databases of many (but not all)) EU countries. If they are not
able to collect the fine, the vehicle is liable to be clamped if it
returns to the Congestion Zone without paying.

AS a sort of related story, I sold the missuses Mondeo to a Pole a
couple of months ago. Said it needed taxing. He said he wasn't going to
bother and had never taxed a car in the UK. Despite living in the
centre of Lincoln, he didn't give a ****. He said the traffic wardens
would fine him £100 for parking in the wrong place but took no notice
of a complete lack of tax disc. He actually found it quite amusing and
expressed surprise at living in a country where they not only charge
you a tax to use the roads but also charge you for a permit to park.

Roland Perry March 24th 08 04:21 PM

LEZ, Congestion charge and foreign vehicles

In message , at 15:35:15 on Mon, 24
Mar 2008, Conor remarked:
If a foreign car or lorry comes into London and does not pay, then
drives straight to the port and back overseas. What happens?
I ask because there seems to be a lot of Romanian lorries around
nowadays. Also the other day when walking along Baker Street I noticed
quite a few cars with Polish and Baltic States number plates.

The same as happens with speeding fines and parking fines - they get
thrown in the bin as there's sod all chance of getting the money.

With all those ANPR cameras why can't they set up a roadblock just
outside Dover and nab the lot of them?

nully March 24th 08 06:09 PM

LEZ, Congestion charge and foreign vehicles

Conor wrote:

In article , Paul Terry says...
In message
,
somersetchris writes

[...]

Did he live in Poplar Street? He bought my Pajero too

Paul Terry March 24th 08 08:04 PM

LEZ, Congestion charge and foreign vehicles

In message , Conor
writes

AS a sort of related story, I sold the missuses Mondeo to a Pole a
couple of months ago. Said it needed taxing. He said he wasn't going to
bother and had never taxed a car in the UK. Despite living in the
centre of Lincoln, he didn't give a ****. He said the traffic wardens
would fine him £100 for parking in the wrong place but took no notice
of a complete lack of tax disc.

It's very different in the part of London where I live. At least four
untaxed cars have gone off to the crushers from my small road alone in
the last year, preceded by the usual notice and then wheel-clamping.
Wardens check the road every week - and its not for parking
infringements, since there are no parking restrictions.
--
Paul Terry

Tony Dragon March 24th 08 08:35 PM

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Conor
writes

AS a sort of related story, I sold the missuses Mondeo to a Pole a
couple of months ago. Said it needed taxing. He said he wasn't going
to bother and had never taxed a car in the UK. Despite living in the
centre of Lincoln, he didn't give a ****. He said the traffic wardens
would fine him £100 for parking in the wrong place but took no notice
of a complete lack of tax disc.

It's very different in the part of London where I live. At least four
untaxed cars have gone off to the crushers from my small road alone in
the last year, preceded by the usual notice and then wheel-clamping.
Wardens check the road every week - and its not for parking
infringements, since there are no parking restrictions.

Same round my bit of London/Surrey, just before Christmas I drove home
from work late (11pm)& wondered why there were so many cars still parked
near the office blocks. Then I noticed that they were all clamped & all
with notices on the windscreen about out of date tax. A few were still
there 5 days later, after that I think they were lifted, probably to be
no more.

--
Tony the Dragon