London Banter

-   -   BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/649-breaking-news-power-cut-affecting.html)

David Winter August 31st 03 12:59 PM

BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East

Lighting, exit esacaltors, a lot of power for ventilation (perhaps
prevention of asphyxiation is a better way to describe it) -- limited
current for shunting trains into stations, clear of platforms, etc. NIL for
service - AIUI.

Another dose of the consequences of allowing accountants to run businesses
and service agencies. Put accountants back in their boxes, and put bring
back REAL managers with GUTS!

DW

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
: In article , (David H
: Wild) wrote:
:
: In article ,
: Roland Perry wrote:
: In article , 3518+3227
: writes
: Greenwich power station is retained as a backup supply, normally
: unused.
:
: Including during the power cut today, perhaps?
:
: I would think that it would take longer to get the power station working
: than it took the engineers to put the failure right.
:
: Greenwich was redesigned for fast startup in emergencies. It's a gas
: turbine station.
:
: I was surprised to read that it only supplies the emergency lighting these
: days. I understand that on this occasion there sufficient grid supplies
: remained for that. It was built to supply the whole LCC tramway network so
: i would have thought it could supply more.
:
: --
: Colin Rosenstiel