London Banter

-   -   Thameslink NGEMU procurement - now in motion (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6529-thameslink-ngemu-procurement-now-motion.html)

Colin Rosenstiel April 11th 08 12:54 PM

Thameslink NGEMU procurement - now in motion

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message
,
at 15:02:00 on Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Mr Thant
remarked:
IEPs on the Cambridge fasts then?

It's looking likely.

Terminating at KX, presumably. That's a shame, I was looking
forward to being able to get a through train.

Me too, at least on occasion.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Scott April 11th 08 03:18 PM

Thameslink NGEMU procurement - now in motion

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article
,
(Mr Thant) wrote:

The old plan would have made poor use of King's Cross, leaving it
half- empty just as its redevelopment was complete. Although I don't
know what use the suburban shed will be post 2015.

Yes, I'd wondered about that too.

One of the options might be to dedicate it to sundry open access operators
running short formations, or Adelantes, Pioneers or whatever, leaving more
platforms free in the main shed for longer EMUs? For cheap travel go next
door!

My thoughts about the outer reaches of Thameslink have been coloured by the
trains needing high standing capacity, large doors and short dwell times.
The theory of having two types of unit, touched on in the recent Thameslink
rolling stock details appears flawed, because if all trains are stopping in
the core section, clearly short distance pax aren't going to differentiate
between trains with the high capacity or long distance interiors...

Paul S

Tom Anderson April 11th 08 05:43 PM

Thameslink NGEMU procurement - now in motion

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Capt. Deltic wrote:

On 10 Apr, 21:15, Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,

D7666 wrote:
On Apr 10, 10:34*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
~ The capability to move a short distance without the traction supply being
present;"

Where is Sir Isaac Newton ?

There are a number of alternatives.

2 Or my favourite, RATOG (Rocket Assisted Take Off Gear) used on
carriers in the 1950s when the steam catapult was u/s.

Still around, i believe. It's used in special cases - getting transport
planes to take off from short fields and the like - rather than being
routine, though. Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO

Actually, not sure how widely used it is other than by the US navy stunt
flying team's Hercules:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xu6-s6Ulak

3) Or the hydrogen peroxide powered steam turbine from the Spearfish
torpedo which gave over a megawatt

'Gave'? Does it now use something else?

tom

--
Ed editor textorum probatissimus est -- Cicero, De officiis IV.7