Old April 15th 08, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Windows Live Local dimprovement

On 14 Apr, 21:07, Paul Oter wrote:
On 14 Apr, 18:29, Mizter T wrote:

On 11 Apr, 02:44, "John Rowland"

wrote:
They've combined it with Multimap.

Though today things seem to have reverted back to how they were - when
I enter the http://maps.live.com into the address bar or click on
the "Maps" tab on the Live Search home page at http://www.live.com
I'm no longer redirected towards Multimap.

Thanks for the update; that's good news.

I sound like I'm President Bush, talking about "The Google" - "when I
enter The Live into the address bar"! As is so often the case my
comments suffered from the redraft and subsequent lack of the proof-
reading.

Were the complaints directed towards Microsoft deafening, or is this
perhaps merely a temporary reprieve for UK users because the Multimap
servers couldn't hack it?

Let's hope it's the former...

Though I'm minded to think it might be the latter! That said, who
knows how these crazy folk at Microsoft think. The whole thing might
drop off the net tomorrow. In fact, if Microsoft manages to buy Yahoo
it really might, with Yahoo (Local) Maps replacing it.

That's a service I've never used - until I tried it just now, and I'm
amused to see in the vicinity of Whitehall and the County Hall that
various gates of one type or another are marked on the map, either as
"Gate (Keyed Access)", "Gate (Permission)" or "Gate (Emergency)".
Looks like data intended for a sat-nav system but still it's a
different perspective I suppose, and neither Google Maps nor
(surprisingly) Windows Live Maps features Gates.

See:
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=51....120825&zoom=17

Old April 15th 08, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Apr, 01:33, Mizter T wrote:
On 14 Apr, 21:07, Paul Oter wrote:

On 14 Apr, 18:29, Mizter T wrote:

On 11 Apr, 02:44, "John Rowland"

wrote:
[...]

Curious. I had a look at the streets where I work (EC3) and it doesn't
have any distinction between driveable streets and pedestrianised
alleyways. For example I know that Botolph Alley EC3 (just east of
Monument station) is a pedestrianised alleyway with steps at one end,
despite it being shown as a road on Yahoo Maps. I hope someone using
SatNav doesn't try to drive up them...

PaulO
Old April 22nd 08, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Apr, 21:07, Paul Oter wrote:
On 14 Apr, 18:29, Mizter T wrote:

On 11 Apr, 02:44, "John Rowland"

I enter http://maps.live.com into the address bar or click on
the "Maps" tab on the Live Search home page at http://www.live.com
I'm no longer redirected towards Multimap.

Thanks for the update; that's good news.

Were the complaints directed towards Microsoft deafening, or is this
perhaps merely a temporary reprieve for UK users because the Multimap
servers couldn't hack it?

Let's hope it's the former...

Well, I've just been directed back to the Multimap site again when I
entered http://maps.live.com, so it looks like it might have been
the latter...
Old April 22nd 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Apr, 19:33, Mizter T wrote:
On 14 Apr, 21:07, Paul Oter wrote:

On 14 Apr, 18:29, Mizter T wrote:

On 11 Apr, 02:44, "John Rowland"

wrote:
They've combined it with Multimap.

Though today things seem to have reverted back to how they were - when
I enter http://maps.live.com into the address bar or click on
the "Maps" tab on the Live Search home page at http://www.live.com
I'm no longer redirected towards Multimap.

Thanks for the update; that's good news.

Were the complaints directed towards Microsoft deafening, or is this
perhaps merely a temporary reprieve for UK users because the Multimap
servers couldn't hack it?

Let's hope it's the former...

Well, I've just been directed back to the Multimap site again when I
entered http://maps.live.com, so it looks like it might have been
the latter...

Hmm. I just followed your link and got the Live Search Maps site (the
good one).

PaulO
Old April 22nd 08, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

They have got rid of the old vector map they used, and replaced it with
raster maps, presumably the old Multimap ones. While I don't dislike the new
maps, we used to have the choice of vector maps in WLL and raster maps in
Multimap, now we have no choice. Also, the maps are no longer draggable
which makes them a pain to navigate.

You can get vector map back by clicking arrow to the right of the
"Map" and selecting "Tele Atlas".

Old April 22nd 08, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Apr, 21:14, Paul Oter wrote:

On 22 Apr, 19:33, Mizter T wrote:

On 14 Apr, 21:07, Paul Oter wrote:

On 14 Apr, 18:29, Mizter T wrote:

On 11 Apr, 02:44, "John Rowland"

wrote:
They've combined it with Multimap.

Though today things seem to have reverted back to how they were - when
I enter http://maps.live.com into the address bar or click on
the "Maps" tab on the Live Search home page at http://www.live.com
I'm no longer redirected towards Multimap.

Thanks for the update; that's good news.

Were the complaints directed towards Microsoft deafening, or is this
perhaps merely a temporary reprieve for UK users because the Multimap
servers couldn't hack it?

Let's hope it's the former...

Well, I've just been directed back to the Multimap site again when I
entered http://maps.live.com, so it looks like it might have been
the latter...

Hmm. I just followed your link and got the Live Search Maps site (the
good one).

As have I. Perhaps Microsoft just can't make up their minds!
Old April 22nd 08, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Apr, 22:06, alex_t wrote:

They have got rid of the old vector map they used, and replaced it with
raster maps, presumably the old Multimap ones. While I don't dislike the new
maps, we used to have the choice of vector maps in WLL and raster maps in
Multimap, now we have no choice. Also, the maps are no longer draggable
which makes them a pain to navigate.

You can get vector map back by clicking arrow to the right of the
"Map" and selecting "Tele Atlas".

Aha, thanks, hadn't seen that before - you can "choose a style",
either "Collins Bartholemew" (raster) or "Tele Atlas" (vector). Though
in Leeds and Newcastle upon Tyne the choice is "Tele Atlas" or
"Ordnance Survey", whilst in Glasgow it's just "Tele Atlas". So,
different choices for different places, though Tele Atlas appears to
be available everywhere.
Old April 22nd 08, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22 Apr, 22:06, alex_t wrote:

They have got rid of the old vector map they used, and replaced it
with raster maps, presumably the old Multimap ones. While I don't
dislike the new maps, we used to have the choice of vector maps in
WLL and raster maps in Multimap, now we have no choice.

You can get vector map back by clicking arrow to the right of the
"Map" and selecting "Tele Atlas".

That's not the same vector map that WLL used to use... in particular, it
doesn't show the one way system around Mt Pleasant Rd N17.