Old April 15th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Postcodes

Is there a definitive postcode (outcode) map online?

All the maps I have show Mayow Rd as being half in SE23, half in SE26,
whereas numerous signs on the road itself say that it is all in SE23...
however, signs on Lockwood Close show that as SE26, and I can't imagine the
post office putting a dead-end road off an SE23 road in SE26. However, 2
sign errors, one rather bizarre, within a half-kilometre of Mayow Road cause
me to have no confidence in Lewisham Council's signage department.

Old April 15th 08, 08:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Apr, 09:40, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Is there a definitive postcode (outcode) map online?

All the maps I have show Mayow Rd as being half in SE23, half in SE26,
whereas numerous signs on the road itself say that it is all in SE23...
however, signs on Lockwood Close show that as SE26, and I can't imagine the
post office putting a dead-end road off an SE23 road in SE26. However, 2
sign errors, one rather bizarre, within a half-kilometre of Mayow Road cause
me to have no confidence in Lewisham Council's signage department.

I don't think so. This is information the Post Office seem quite keen
to keep to themselves for various reasons.

Jonn
Old April 15th 08, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Is there a definitive postcode (outcode) map online?

All the maps I have show Mayow Rd as being half in SE23, half in SE26,
whereas numerous signs on the road itself say that it is all in SE23...
however, signs on Lockwood Close show that as SE26, and I can't imagine
the post office putting a dead-end road off an SE23 road in SE26. However,
2 sign errors, one rather bizarre, within a half-kilometre of Mayow Road
cause me to have no confidence in Lewisham Council's signage department.

If you go to the Post Office postcode page
http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal... gear=postcode
and enter Mayow Road you will find it lists both SE23 and SE26 and you can
then look at which numbers are in which.

MaxB

Old April 15th 08, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal...catId=400145&p...
and enter Mayow Road you will find it lists both SE23 and SE26 and you can
then look at which numbers are in which.

Not what John's after, and I'm sure he knows this already, but the
mapping used by both Streetmap and Multimap for London at least shows
postcode boundaries (as do some editions of the A-Z and other street
atlases).

See:
http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=535909&y=172272

Old April 15th 08, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

If you go to the Post Office postcode pagehttp://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/postcodefinder?catId=400145&p...
and enter Mayow Road you will find it lists both SE23 and SE26 and you can
then look at which numbers are in which.

I expect it matters less with the merging of delivery offices. There
has tended to be one delivery office per postcode, but not in future.
Old April 15th 08, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote:

Is there a definitive postcode (outcode) map online?

All the maps I have show Mayow Rd as being half in SE23, half in SE26,
whereas numerous signs on the road itself say that it is all in SE23...
however, signs on Lockwood Close show that as SE26, and I can't imagine
the post office putting a dead-end road off an SE23 road in SE26. However,
2 sign errors, one rather bizarre, within a half-kilometre of Mayow Road
cause me to have no confidence in Lewisham Council's signage department.

If you go to the Post Office postcode page
http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal...catId=400145&p...
and enter Mayow Road you will find it lists both SE23 and SE26 and you can
then look at which numbers are in which.

I expect it matters less with the merging of delivery offices. There
has tended to be one delivery office per postcode, but not in future.

What matters less?

The northern part of Mayow Rd lies in SE23, the southern in SE26. This
isn't a big deal - the division obviously made sense with regards to
the locations of the local delivery offices when the postcode
districts were drawn up. It actually makes life easier, rather than
the whole of Mayow Road being in just one postcode resulting in a long
sliver intruding into another postcode.
Old April 15th 08, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"John Rowland" wrote:

[...]

sliver intruding into another postcode.- Hide quoted text -

I meant that having bits of one postcode isolated or protruding into
another postcode doesn't matter so much if the same delivery office
now delivers to both postcodes.

Old April 15th 08, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Is there a definitive postcode (outcode) map online?

All the maps I have show Mayow Rd as being half in SE23, half in SE26,
whereas numerous signs on the road itself say that it is all in SE23...
however, signs on Lockwood Close show that as SE26, and I can't imagine the
post office putting a dead-end road off an SE23 road in SE26. However, 2
sign errors, one rather bizarre, within a half-kilometre of Mayow Road cause
me to have no confidence in Lewisham Council's signage department.

According to the postcode finder, lower numbers (up to about 44) are in
SE23 and higher numbers are in SE26