Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 27th 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default The plans for Camden Town was Oh No Kenny O

MIG wrote:

In Camden, far from the station, the Stables market at least is under
threat,

Oh, i see. They're redeveloping it - in the sense of expanding it,
cleaning it up, adding better access, and putting a roof on it, not the
sense of turning it into a supermarket. Not what i'd call 'under threat'.
But maybe the current plan is only what it is because of the public
outcry.

Cheers for the info.

Certainly the new stories a few months back sounded pretty
devastating, but that may have been spin by the protesters competing
with spin by the developers.

I can see that the plans might effectively result in an indoor
shopping centre on the layout of the former market.

You don't have to go to Camden to visit an indoor shopping centre
(maybe I could have stopped after the first seven words of that
sentence).

It's more than under threat, when i went there a couple of weeks ago it
was a huge building site.

The arches where the furniture stall were have totally gone. the indoor
bit contianing the antiques market was closed and home to builders and
the stalls that back on to the road were all closed.

The Stable Market is gone, the Canal market 'went on fire'... if the one
next to the tube station disappears thy won't need the tube extension