Old April 29th 08, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default The 'South London Overground' and the Mayoral election

On 29 Apr, 11:07, John B wrote:
On Apr 29, 10:17 am, "John Rowland"

wrote:
[...] Ken Livingstone's pet projects [...] for the benefit of
Londoners.

LOL.

You think he doesn't want their votes?

Thanks to Labour's ballot-rigging, he hardly needs anyone's votes.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3828322.ece

Wow, it's like having our very own automatic Daily Mail Talking Point-
bot.

I wonder why he calls it Labour's ballot rigging?

Postal voting is inappropriate in a number of ways, including
fraudulent registration, dodgy canvassers "helping" vulnerable voters
etc, but also because people vote long before they've heard the case
for each candidate, which benefits any large party with established
machinery and support.

But I don't recall the publicised fraud cases relating only to one
party.

Old April 29th 08, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

So Mr.Band it appears that you are in favour of vote rigging? Perhaps you
would like this country to descend to the level of Zimbabwe?

MJW

Old April 29th 08, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Michael Whitson wrote:

So Mr.Band it appears that you are in favour of vote rigging? Perhaps you
would like this country to descend to the level of Zimbabwe?

Don't worry, Labour are trying their best to get us there .. making good
progress too.
--
Chris Johns
Old April 29th 08, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 29 Apr, 12:39, "Michael Whitson" wrote:

"John B" wrote:

On Apr 29, 10:17 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:

(snip)

Thanks to Labour's ballot-rigging, he hardly needs anyone's votes.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3828322.ece

Wow, it's like having our very own automatic Daily Mail Talking Point-
bot.

So Mr.Band it appears that you are in favour of vote rigging? Perhaps you
would like this country to descend to the level of Zimbabwe?

Wow, your logical reasoning is immaculate. If only there was a
candidate of the same intellectual rigour I could vote for, someone
who if elected would ensure that 2+2 really did equal 5...
Old April 29th 08, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 29 Apr, 12:39, "Michael Whitson" wrote:
Thanks to Labour's ballot-rigging, he hardly needs anyone's votes.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3828322.ece

Wow, it's like having our very own automatic Daily Mail Talking Point-
bot.

So Mr.Band it appears that you are in favour of vote rigging? Perhaps you
would like this country to descend to the level of Zimbabwe?

So Mr Whitson, when did you stop beating your wife?

I'm not sure about postal votes: they encourage voting based on
exisiting prejudices (since you vote early in the campaign); and there
are valid concerns about intimidation by heads-of-household among
certain minority groups.

However, there's no evidence at all that they're associated with
widespread fraud (nor does the Rowntree report as highlighted in the
Times piece suggest that there is any such evidence). To the extent
that there is any electoral fraud in the UK - pretty much entirely on
a 'crooked local councillor' basis - this is split between the parties
rather than being ZaNu Liebour Corruption.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old April 29th 08, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 29 Apr, 12:58, Chris Johns wrote:
So Mr.Band it appears that you are in favour of vote rigging? Perhaps you
would like this country to descend to the level of Zimbabwe?

Don't worry, Labour are trying their best to get us there .. making good
progress too.

Yes, 10 years of sustained economic growth, low inflation and falling
crime sounds *almost exactly* like Zimbabwe.

Idiot.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old April 29th 08, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
[...] Ken Livingstone's pet projects [...] for the benefit of
Londoners.

LOL.

You think he doesn't want their votes?

Thanks to Labour's ballot-rigging, he hardly needs anyone's votes.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3828322.ece

Wow, it's like having our very own automatic Daily Mail Talking Point-
bot.

So Mr.Band it appears that you are in favour of vote rigging? Perhaps
you would like this country to descend to the level of Zimbabwe?

TWO automatic Daily Mail Talking Point Bots!

tom

--
catch my hand and come with me - close your eyes and dream
Old April 29th 08, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, John B wrote:

On 29 Apr, 12:58, Chris Johns wrote:
So Mr.Band it appears that you are in favour of vote rigging? Perhaps you
would like this country to descend to the level of Zimbabwe?

Don't worry, Labour are trying their best to get us there .. making good
progress too.

Yes, 10 years of sustained economic growth, low inflation and falling
crime sounds *almost exactly* like Zimbabwe.

Yeah, but there were things like in High Wycombe where pro-Blair militias
burned down the Conservative party offices and drove their supporters out
of the town at machete-point. Just visit the refugee camps on the Welsh
border, and you'll hear plenty of similar stories.

tom

--
catch my hand and come with me - close your eyes and dream
Old April 29th 08, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, MIG wrote:

Postal voting is inappropriate in a number of ways, including fraudulent
registration, dodgy canvassers "helping" vulnerable voters etc,

These are valid criticisms, as is John B's point about giving too much
influence to some heads of households.

but also because people vote long before they've heard the case for each
candidate, which benefits any large party with established machinery and
support.

This is absurd. Are you (and John B) seriously saying that paying
attention to political campaigns is an important or useful step in
deciding who to vote for? A political campaign isn't information, it's
advertising. It's where politicians lie to you in order to make you vote
for them (as opposed to everything else politicians say, which is, er,
where they lie to you in order to make you vote for them). We'd have a
better democracy if they were banned altogether!

My decision about who to vote for is based on the track record of each
candidate and party - not what they say they'll do, but what they've done
in the past. Actions speak louder than words.

tom

--
catch my hand and come with me - close your eyes and dream
Old April 29th 08, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Tom Anderson" wrote

Yeah, but there were things like in High Wycombe where pro-Blair militias
burned down the Conservative party offices

Well, someone burnt the station down, but I'm not aware of any proof that it
was pro-Blair militias.

Peter