Old April 23rd 05, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL status depends on election

This is partly to do with transport in London, as I think it probably
affects TfL (although I might be wrong). I was interested to hear
Michael Howard mention (very briefly) on his Jeremy Paxman interview
tonight that the Conservatives would abolish the regional assemblies.

That struck me as odd originally, as they don't oppose the Scottish or
Welsh devolved authorities (more for the sake of "not playing into the
hands of the nationalists" than anything else), and I thought there
weren't any regional assemblies following the failed North East
referendum. Of course, that was stupid of me; I'm living in the only!

It doesn't seem to be a highly publicised or discussed policy, but if
the Conservatives were to take power (however likely/unlikely that is),
then I imagine that would have a significant impact on transport in
London, amongst other issues, as the Mayor essentially commands TfL.

Speaking cynically and as someone extremely unlikely to vote
Conservative, I'd say the Tories are annoyed that we still have Ken
Livingstone as Mayor despite a Conservative majority on the Assembly,
and don't think the 72% vote in favour of the creation of the GLA really
matters. Others may, of course, have different opinions :-)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old April 23rd 05, 12:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
[...]

There are no plans to abolish the London Assembly. I think what Michael
Howard was referring are the unelected assemblies that each region has such
as http://www.southeast-ra.gov.uk or http://www.northeastassembly.gov.uk/

Peter Smyth

Old April 23rd 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
This is partly to do with transport in London, as I think it probably
affects TfL (although I might be wrong).

I think you're wrong

I was interested to hear Michael Howard mention (very briefly) on his
Jeremy Paxman interview tonight that the Conservatives would abolish the
regional assemblies.

That struck me as odd originally, as they don't oppose the Scottish or
Welsh devolved authorities (more for the sake of "not playing into the
hands of the nationalists" than anything else), and I thought there
weren't any regional assemblies following the failed North East
referendum. Of course, that was stupid of me; I'm living in the only!

I don't their policty applies to the elected regional governments in London,
Scotland or Wales.

Instead there are several "regional assemblies" out there - effectively they
are unelected quango's that operate lots of policies on a regional level.

Examples of this kind of body a

http://www.nwra.gov.uk/
http://www.eera.gov.uk/
http://www.southeast-ra.gov.uk/
http://www.northeastassembly.gov.uk/

I believe these quangos were originally set up, in the expectation that the
elected regional assemblies would inherit the powers that these bodies now
have. Of course, that was before the referendum in the North East derailed
the government's plans - and I think its these the Conservatives plan to
abolish

Regards
Sunil

Old April 23rd 05, 01:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

(snip)

[...]

Ah, I see. Sorry for the rant... I was a bit concerned as the
Conservatives opposed the GLA Act, so it wouldn't have surprised me if
they wanted to abolish it.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 23rd 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message ...
Ah, I see. Sorry for the rant... I was a bit concerned as the
Conservatives opposed the GLA Act, so it wouldn't have surprised me if
they wanted to abolish it.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Rest assured the Tories would only abolish the GLA for a really good reason, such as pure spite.

I wonder if City Hall could house both a Marriot and an aquarium??

Old April 23rd 05, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, TKD wrote:

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message ...

Ah, I see. Sorry for the rant... I was a bit concerned as the
Conservatives opposed the GLA Act, so it wouldn't have surprised me if
they wanted to abolish it.

Rest assured the Tories would only abolish the GLA for a really good
reason, such as pure spite.

I don't think Ken would be too happy if he got abolished by a Tory prime
minister again. I can just see the Labour-restores, Tories-abolish cycle
repeating ad infinitum into the future, like some sort of very slow game
of whack-a-mole.

tom

--
Gin for the mind, kebabs for the body, sushi for the soul

Old April 23rd 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

TKD wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message ...

Ah, I see. Sorry for the rant... I was a bit concerned as the
Conservatives opposed the GLA Act, so it wouldn't have surprised me if
they wanted to abolish it.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Rest assured the Tories would only abolish the GLA for a really good reason, such as pure spite.

Wouldn't be the first time legislation was an act of spite. The Hunting
Act, for example.
Old April 23rd 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Dave Arquati wrote:

Ah, I see. Sorry for the rant... I was a bit concerned as the
Conservatives opposed the GLA Act, so it wouldn't have surprised me if
they wanted to abolish it.

Don't forget that for both Labour and Tory, anything they're against
whilst in Opposition becomes Government policy if they get into power.
Vide Railtrack privatisation, hospital trusts, etc etc.

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself
Old April 23rd 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, TKD wrote:

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message ...

Ah, I see. Sorry for the rant... I was a bit concerned as the
Conservatives opposed the GLA Act, so it wouldn't have surprised me if
they wanted to abolish it.

Rest assured the Tories would only abolish the GLA for a really good
reason, such as pure spite.

I don't think Ken would be too happy if he got abolished by a Tory prime
minister again. I can just see the Labour-restores, Tories-abolish cycle
repeating ad infinitum into the future, like some sort of very slow game
of whack-a-mole.

LOL! What an image that creates...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 24th 05, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , TKD
writes
I wonder if City Hall could house both a Marriot and an aquarium??

Oh great, London might get a pair of Eyes.......

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk