London Banter

-   -   Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6635-best-route-stansted-express-turnham.html)

Jarle H Knudsen April 26th 08 10:01 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

What is the best route from Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale to Turnham
Green, with luggage?

We arrive on Friday 23 May in the evening and leave again Saturday 31 May,
early morning. When should we start from Turnham Green to be at Stansted
Airport at about 0730?

Looking at the tube map, I can at see at least these options:

Tottenham Hale - Victoria - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Holborn - Hammersmith (cross platform) - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Notting Hill Gate - Earl's Court - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Edgware Road - Earl's Court - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Tower Hill - Turnham Green

Is Stansted Express open return tickets + PAYG the cheapest fare?

--
jhk

Mr Thant April 26th 08 10:26 PM

On 26 Apr, 23:01, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
Tottenham Hale - Victoria - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Holborn - Hammersmith (cross platform) - Turnham Green

Combine the two:
Tottenham Hale, which has a lift down to the tube. The tube entrance
is adjacent to the Stansted-bound platform, so arriving from Stansted
you'll also have a footbridge to cross, but it has an escalator up.
Then:
Finsbury Park (cross platform to Piccadilly)
Hammersmith (cross platform to District)

Is Stansted Express open return tickets + PAYG the cheapest fare?

Probably, especially if you're using PAYG for any other journeys the
same day. There's a Stansted-Tube Zone 2 ticket for £32 return, which
is more expensive than a standard ticket + PAYG, but more convenient
if don't already have Oyster cards.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Richard J.[_2_] April 26th 08 11:46 PM

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
What is the best route from Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale to
Turnham Green, with luggage?

Mr Thant's route is pretty good, but see below for other comments.

We arrive on Friday 23 May in the evening and leave again Saturday 31
May, early morning. When should we start from Turnham Green to be at
Stansted Airport at about 0730?

The TfL journey planner at http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk gives journey
times of typically 90 to 100 minutes. Note that all Piccadilly Line trains
call at Turnham Green station before 06:45 (and also after 22:30 in the
evenings).

Looking at the tube map, I can at see at least these options:

Tottenham Hale - Victoria - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Holborn - Hammersmith (cross platform) - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Notting Hill Gate - Earl's Court - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Edgware Road - Earl's Court - Turnham Green

All those routes involve stairs at some point on the journey, in addition to
the stairs down on arrival at Turnham Green.

Liverpool Street - Tower Hill - Turnham Green

This is the simplest option with the minimum of luggage handling, and no
steps until you get to Turnham Green. 'Eastbound' Circle Line to, say,
Monument, then wait on the same platform for a Richmond or Ealing Broadway
train (District Line). If steps are a problem at Turnham Green, you could
leave the train at Hammersmith where there are lifts to street level and a
taxi rank on the Broadway outside the station.

--
Richard J.

Tom Anderson April 27th 08 12:32 AM

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Jarle H Knudsen wrote:

What is the best route from Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale to Turnham
Green, with luggage?

What does

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

have to say about it?

We arrive on Friday 23 May in the evening and leave again Saturday 31 May,
early morning. When should we start from Turnham Green to be at Stansted
Airport at about 0730?

Is that late and early enough that the Piccadilly line is calling at
Turnham Green?

Looking at the tube map, I can at see at least these options:

Tottenham Hale - Victoria - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Holborn - Hammersmith (cross platform) - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Notting Hill Gate - Earl's Court - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Edgware Road - Earl's Court - Turnham Green
Liverpool Street - Tower Hill - Turnham Green

I like the look of Tottenham Hale - Finsbury Park - Turnham Green, since
both the tube-tube changes are cross-platform. If the Picc isn't calling
at Turnham Green at the time, add a change at Hammersmith, also
cross-platform. It's no more changes than any of your routes, and fewer
than some.

Another option with only one non-cross-platform change would be Tottenham
Hale - Stratford - Mile End - Turnham Green. But that's getting a bit
mental. But also so close to being fully cross-platform - if only they'd
built the Temple Mills curve a bit further to the east ...

Is Stansted Express open return tickets + PAYG the cheapest fare?

Probably. I don't think there's any way to get a SX ticket with a
travelcard add-on.

tom

--
The major advances in civilization are processes that all but wreck the
societies in which they occur. -- Alfred North Whitehead

sweek April 27th 08 07:42 AM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

Trying to get to Stansted Airport by 7.30 is just about do-able by
train. Take a Piccadilly from Turnham Green around 5.30ish in the
morning, and you should get to Tottenham Hale about 45 minutes later,
so around 6.15. Waiting and taking the Stansted Express will be
another 45-60 minutes.

Roland Perry April 27th 08 10:39 AM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message , at 00:01:26 on
Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Jarle H Knudsen remarked:
What is the best route from Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale to Turnham
Green, with luggage?

We arrive on Friday 23 May in the evening and leave again Saturday 31 May,
early morning. When should we start from Turnham Green to be at Stansted
Airport at about 0730?

According to the TFL journey planner, you need to leave at 5.40

Looking at the tube map, I can at see at least these options:

Tottenham Hale - Victoria - Turnham Green

Bridge over line (stairs/escalator?) at TH.
Very long flight of stairs to change at Victoria.

Liverpool Street - Holborn - Hammersmith (cross platform) - Turnham Green

Escalators, and possibly stairs at Liverpool St.
Long escalators, and stairs, at Holborn.

Liverpool Street - Notting Hill Gate - Earl's Court - Turnham Green

Escalators, and possibly stairs at Liverpool St.
Stairs and maybe escalators at NHG.

Liverpool Street - Edgware Road - Earl's Court - Turnham Green

Stairs at LS over the line.
Possibility of having to use stairs over line at Edgware Rd.

Liverpool Street - Tower Hill - Turnham Green

For a minimum number of steps:

Southbound - Ignore Tottenham Hale as there is a bridge over tracks.
Travel to Liverpool St then get a clockwise Circle train (there's a
step-free route but can be hard to find), change anywhere along the
southern leg, to a District.

Northbound - Piccadilly or District + Piccadilly, then change to
Victoria at Finsbury Park. Escalators up to the northbound Stansted
Express platform.

MarkVarley - MVP April 27th 08 12:33 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:39:53 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote this gibberish:

For a minimum number of steps:

Southbound - Ignore Tottenham Hale as there is a bridge over tracks.
Travel to Liverpool St then get a clockwise Circle train (there's a
step-free route but can be hard to find), change anywhere along the
southern leg, to a District.

Coming from southbound platform at Tottenham Hale there is an
escalator up to the bridge and very few steps at the other side of the
bridge, then escalators down to the vic line platforms.

--
Mark Varley
www.MarkVarleyPhoto.co.uk

Roland Perry April 27th 08 01:32 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message , at 13:33:48 on
Sun, 27 Apr 2008, MarkVarley - MVP
remarked:
For a minimum number of steps:

Southbound - Ignore Tottenham Hale as there is a bridge over tracks.
Travel to Liverpool St then get a clockwise Circle train (there's a
step-free route but can be hard to find), change anywhere along the
southern leg, to a District.

Coming from southbound platform at Tottenham Hale there is an
escalator up to the bridge and very few steps at the other side of the
bridge, then escalators down to the vic line platforms.

I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the steps
down fewer than would be required from bridge level to [northbound NXEA]
platform level?

Colin Rosenstiel April 27th 08 02:23 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
13:33:48 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, MarkVarley - MVP
remarked:
For a minimum number of steps:

Southbound - Ignore Tottenham Hale as there is a bridge over tracks.
Travel to Liverpool St then get a clockwise Circle train (there's a
step-free route but can be hard to find), change anywhere along the
southern leg, to a District.

Coming from southbound platform at Tottenham Hale there is an
escalator up to the bridge and very few steps at the other side of the
bridge, then escalators down to the vic line platforms.

I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

MarkVarley - MVP April 27th 08 02:37 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 14:32:12 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote this gibberish:

In message , at 13:33:48 on
Sun, 27 Apr 2008, MarkVarley - MVP
remarked:
For a minimum number of steps:

Southbound - Ignore Tottenham Hale as there is a bridge over tracks.
Travel to Liverpool St then get a clockwise Circle train (there's a
step-free route but can be hard to find), change anywhere along the
southern leg, to a District.

Coming from southbound platform at Tottenham Hale there is an
escalator up to the bridge and very few steps at the other side of the
bridge, then escalators down to the vic line platforms.

I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the steps
down fewer than would be required from bridge level to [northbound NXEA]
platform level?

yes, the ticket office floor level is IIRC a few steps down from the
bridge, the northbound platform is about twice as many steps again.
If memory serves me well, I've used the station probably half a dozen
times in the two years I've been here and never with alot of luggage.

Roland Perry April 27th 08 03:08 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message .uk, at
15:23:00 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube
and heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

MarkVarley - MVP April 27th 08 03:20 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:08:34 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote this gibberish:

In message .uk, at
15:23:00 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube
and heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

you could always come off the vic line escalators, out into the bus
station area, down the slope and hope the door at the end is unlocked
to the platform and gain step-free access that way... :-D

Tom Anderson April 27th 08 03:39 PM

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message .uk, at
15:23:00 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube and
heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

Or change to Wimbleware at Earl's Court, and then to Circle or H&C at
Edgware Road? That avoids the doubling-back, which is inelegant, and
involves the same number of changes.

tom

--
There are lousy reviews, and then there's empirical ****ness. -- pikelet

MIG April 27th 08 04:18 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

wrote this gibberish:

[...]

I'm sure that there must be a route involving a bit of Victoria Line
doubling-back via Finsbury Park (twice) and Highbury (twice), same/
cross platform at Welwyn or Stevenage then same platform at Cambridge
for Stansted ...

But that would be silly.

Richard J.[_2_] April 27th 08 04:30 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Don't wait until Edgware Road to change, as the Wimbleware train may
terminate at the westbound platform, which means a trip over the footbridge.
You can avoid the Wimbleware train altogether by doing Turnham Green to
Gloucester Road, then cross-platform to clockwise Circle Line which will
take you to Liverpool Street.

All this effort to avoid steps is a bit pointless for a journey starting at
Turnham Green, where there are 38 steps up to the platform. My own
preference would be a taxi/minicab from home to Hammersmith (Hammersmith &
City station), and the H&C from there to Liverpool Street (step-free at both
ends).
--
Richard J.

tims next home April 27th 08 07:49 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message .uk, at
15:23:00 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the
steps down fewer than would be required from bridge level to
[northbound NXEA] platform level?

Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube
and heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

tim

Mizter T April 27th 08 08:31 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

wrote this gibberish:

[...]

That is the proper step free route to the northbound platform, and the
doorway in question is always open.

I meanwhile am not a member of the extreme step-free club - a few
stairs is not a problem in my books, luggage is there to be lugged!

Mizter T April 27th 08 08:36 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

tims next home wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote:

(snip)

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

Anyway, I think Mr Thant's District line (if required), Piccadilly
line, Victoria line and Stansted Express route is the best step free
way to go.

Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!

Roland Perry April 27th 08 08:43 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message
, at
09:18:54 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, MIG
remarked:
So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

I'm sure that there must be a route involving a bit of Victoria Line
doubling-back via Finsbury Park (twice) and Highbury (twice), same/
cross platform at Welwyn or Stevenage then same platform at Cambridge
for Stansted ...

But that would be silly.

I thought about the via Cambridge route, but it's an extra fare and much
longer. Best step and escalator free way to Cambridge is via the
Circle/Met island platform at KX/Stp [lifts].

Roland Perry April 27th 08 08:44 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message
, at
13:31:46 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Yes. There are steps down from the victoria Line ticket office level to
the Down Lea Valley platform.

Ah, so that doesn't make it step-free if you are emerging from the tube
and heading for Stansted?

So we need a different step-free route (says a member of the extreme
step-free club).

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

you could always come off the vic line escalators, out into the bus
station area, down the slope and hope the door at the end is unlocked
to the platform and gain step-free access that way... :-D

That is the proper step free route to the northbound platform, and the
doorway in question is always open.

Problem solved, then.

Eric April 27th 08 08:47 PM

On 2008-04-27, Mizter T wrote:

tims next home wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote:

(snip)

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

It's a lift - the concourse-level door is inside the rail ticket office!

Roland Perry April 27th 08 08:47 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message , at
16:39:23 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

Or change to Wimbleware at Earl's Court, and then to Circle or H&C at
Edgware Road? That avoids the doubling-back, which is inelegant, and
involves the same number of changes.

Sometimes you end up having to cross a bridge to get between a
terminating Wimbleware train and the Met/Circle at Edgware Rd. Best to
change onto a Circle Line, somewhere like Paddington. But yes, that
sounds more elegant. Is it any quicker?

Roland Perry April 27th 08 08:49 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message , at 20:49:38 on Sun, 27
Apr 2008, tims next home remarked:
How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then
across the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as
the mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

There's also a hard-to-find ramp.

Roland Perry April 27th 08 08:50 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message
, at
13:36:41 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T remarked:
Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!

One day when you are over 80, or have a bad back and two large
suitcases, you'll start worrying. I won't wish you into a wheelchair,
though.

Mr Thant April 27th 08 08:59 PM

On 27 Apr, 21:36, Mizter T wrote:
tims next home wrote:
There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). *How do you avoid these?

I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

There's a secret lift in the travel centre that'll take you down to
the corner of the tube ticket hall or up to the mezzanine. All three
entrances are well hidden, one of them deliberately so, within the war
memorial.

Tom Anderson April 27th 08 09:41 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T wrote:

tims next home wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote:

(snip)

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

Anyway, I think Mr Thant's District line (if required), Piccadilly
line, Victoria line and Stansted Express route is the best step free
way to go.

Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!

Probably not. But just because you're a public policy loony rather than a
step-free loony, no need to spoil our fun!

tom

--
There are lousy reviews, and then there's empirical ****ness. -- pikelet

Tom Anderson April 27th 08 09:50 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 16:39:23
on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Tom Anderson remarked:
How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

Or change to Wimbleware at Earl's Court, and then to Circle or H&C at
Edgware Road? That avoids the doubling-back, which is inelegant, and
involves the same number of changes.

Sometimes you end up having to cross a bridge to get between a
terminating Wimbleware train and the Met/Circle at Edgware Rd. Best to
change onto a Circle Line, somewhere like Paddington.

That does avoid the risk of steps, but means a potentially longer wait for
a train, because it has to be a Circle. Decisions, decisions!

Richard's Gloucester Road route is very clever - it does District to
Liverpool Street with just one change, whereas our routes both involve
two. It is a change onto the Circle, though, and kind of involves some
doubling-back.

But yes, that sounds more elegant. Is it any quicker?

Pass! The key difference is probably in the changes, with changes that
require a Circle train having the potential to introduce a very long wait,
and those that can use any subsurface train being quicker. So, District to
Circle at Tower Hill is slow, Wimbleware to Circle or Hammersmith at
Edgware Road is a bit quicker, Wimbleware to Circle at Paddington slow,
Circle to Circle/Hammersmith/Met at King's Cross fast, District to Circle
at Gloucester Road slow. I have no idea how fast the change onto the
Wimbleware at Earl's Court is.

tom

--
There are lousy reviews, and then there's empirical ****ness. -- pikelet

Mizter T April 27th 08 11:23 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On 27 Apr, 21:50, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at 13:36:41 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T remarked:

Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!

One day when you are over 80, or have a bad back and two large
suitcases, you'll start worrying. I won't wish you into a wheelchair,
though.

Thank you, you are most benevolent Mr Perry...

Being serious, sorry, I didn't mean to come across like that - I am
fully aware that there is an enormous panoply of reasons why
travellers might wish to avoid stairs when using public transport, and
I am genuinely most sympathetically minded towards that, and am
strongly in favour of stair free access being provided wherever
possible.

I have the good fortune at present that such matters are not of such a
critical consideration, but I'm quite sure they will be at some point,
and at such a time I'll certainly be most grateful for provision of
step-free access.

I guess all I was thinking about was how, when advice is given for
journeys where the traveller is likely to have luggage, I sometimes
wonder whether there is a slight preoccupation towards recommending
step-free routes in exclusion of all others - obviously what is
appropriate entirely depends upon the traveller in question, but I
just worry a little that some otherwise pretty decent routes that do
involve stairs might be condemned a little too hastily.

Roland Perry April 28th 08 07:18 AM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message , at 21:47:24 on
Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Eric remarked:
I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

It's a lift - the concourse-level door is inside the rail ticket office!

Has the ramp been removed? I know there was a ramp about four years ago
- I used it.

Roland Perry April 28th 08 07:24 AM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message
, at
16:23:06 on Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Mizter T remarked:
I guess all I was thinking about was how, when advice is given for
journeys where the traveller is likely to have luggage, I sometimes
wonder whether there is a slight preoccupation towards recommending
step-free routes in exclusion of all others - obviously what is
appropriate entirely depends upon the traveller in question, but I
just worry a little that some otherwise pretty decent routes that do
involve stairs might be condemned a little too hastily.

Decent routes with lots of stairs are usually obvious. Ones with no
stairs are difficult, ones with no escalators either are very tricky.

The are a few routes where being "allowed" a few stairs helps a lot.
London Bridge is one of those, with just a handful of stairs. Sounds
like "over the bridge" at Tottenham Hale is another.

What you have to imagine is perhaps a child in a buggy. Given the
location and layout of the station, and the number of steps - would you
be happy leaving the baby in the buggy at one end of the stairs, while
you first took the suitcase, left that behind, and then took the buggy.

MarkVarley - MVP April 28th 08 10:59 AM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:36:41 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote this gibberish:

tims next home wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote:

(snip)

How about District and Circle via Liverpool St to Kings Cross, then across
the island platform to return to Liverpool St the same side as the
mainline trains?

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). How do you avoid these?

I'm pretty sure that at Liverpool St there's a ramp somewhere down
from the concourse level to the Tube ticket office level.

Anyway, I think Mr Thant's District line (if required), Piccadilly
line, Victoria line and Stansted Express route is the best step free
way to go.

Am I the only person who doesn't worry about this sort of stuff?!

I'm sure people with alot of wheeled luggage, wheeled children or
wheelchair-bound themselves would consider this information very
useful, the comparatively wheel-free among us don't worry about a few
steps I'm sure. :o)

MarkVarley - MVP May 9th 08 06:12 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

wrote this gibberish:

[...]

I was there yesterday and counted 20 steps off the bridge down to the
ticket hall, more than I remembered. All other steps there are
avoidable.

Brian Watson May 10th 08 08:26 AM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

The best way to Turnham Green is to tell them you have "guest" tickets for
the Nelson Mandela concert in June.

--
Brian

Roland Perry May 10th 08 10:12 AM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

In message , at 19:12:43 on
Fri, 9 May 2008, MarkVarley - MVP
remarked:
Coming from southbound platform at Tottenham Hale there is an
escalator up to the bridge and very few steps at the other side of the
bridge, then escalators down to the vic line platforms.

I can picture the escalators down to the Victoria Line. Are the steps
down fewer than would be required from bridge level to [northbound NXEA]
platform level?

yes, the ticket office floor level is IIRC a few steps down from the
bridge, the northbound platform is about twice as many steps again.
If memory serves me well, I've used the station probably half a dozen
times in the two years I've been here and never with alot of luggage.

I was there yesterday and counted 20 steps off the bridge down to the
ticket hall, more than I remembered. All other steps there are
avoidable.

I'm glad the record's been set straight here. It's a few years since I
was at Tottenham Hale (I had a client in an office nearby, when I was
working from Cambridge) but I didn't recall the Underground ticket
office being as high up as originally described.

Rupert Candy May 10th 08 04:02 PM

Best route Stansted Express - Turnham Green

On Apr 27, 8:49*pm, "tims next home"
wrote:

There are some steps (about 5) up from the booking hall to the main
concourse (at Liverpool St). *How do you avoid these?

Isn't there a lift in the south-east corner of the Tube ticket hall?
(The one that comes out in the middle of the war memorial at street
level, by the McDonalds exit)...