Old May 12th 08, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Boris - remove this absurd Oyster vs cash cost disparity

On 12 May, 00:02, James Farrar wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 10:18:50 -0700 (PDT), MIG

wrote:
On May 10, 4:03*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
09:35:03 on Thu, 8 May 2008, MIG remarked:

Even if you happen to use
one such gate to enter the Tube system, you will still be leaving it
by a gate with a reader or a standalone target - all of which will
show you your balance.

I can't remember the last time I went in or out of an LU gate that
displayed anything at all apart from maybe "Enter" or "Exit".

The display of your balance is somewhere that you have to train yourself
to look for (otherwise you miss it), but it's there.

If it's in a position where you have to stop and lean back to peer at
a tiny display while a queue builds up behind you, as opposed to being
on the large display facility in front of you, it's not really of any
practical use. *I am sure that, even on the older gates, information
used to be given on the large display, but maybe I am imagining it.

The Oyster target should normally be in front of you when you hold the
card on it, no?

By the time it displays something, after it's read your card and the
gates are open, you would have to be behaving very oddly and
inconsiderately for it still to be in front of you.

Old May 12th 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

ý is pronounced as English "shch" ("sh" + "ch" quickly)

"y" is "oo". The shch sound is signified by that strange looking W
letter they nicked from hebrew (apparently).

The letter which I typed (and which your newsreader cannot show
correctly) is indeed similar to "W" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shcha_(Cyrillic)
for the image of that letter).
Old May 12th 08, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
On May 10, 11:34 pm, Richard wrote:
Paris - queue at the ticket office at the gare du nord , buy a Mobilis
(or whatever they're calling it this year). Sorted.

Heathrow - queue at the underground ticket office at Heathrow Central,
T4 or T5 and buy a One Day Travelcard or Bus Pass. Isn't that the
same?

Yes , except in Paris you won't get stitched for twice the price for
being a tourist and just buying a paper ticket.

If you're a tourist, RATP will try to sell you the overpriced Paris
Visite card instead of a Carte Orange. The cheapest Paris Visite cards
for a whole week (Zones 1-3) would cost EUR 41.50. Whereas a Carte
Orange would cost only 16.30 for 1-2 (and there is little of interest to
a tourist in zone 3) or 21.60 for 1-3.

So I think Paris can safely be added to the list of people who try to
rip off tourists.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old May 12th 08, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

The display shows the balance as the gates open. It's easy to read it
as you start to walk through the gate.
Old May 12th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 12, 2:14 pm, Michael Hoffman wrote:
If you're a tourist, RATP will try to sell you the overpriced Paris
Visite card instead of a Carte Orange. The cheapest Paris Visite cards
for a whole week (Zones 1-3) would cost EUR 41.50. Whereas a Carte
Orange would cost only 16.30 for 1-2 (and there is little of interest to
a tourist in zone 3) or 21.60 for 1-3.

Yes , but the visite card gets you discounts of a shed load of
tourists sights unlike the normal tickets. Depending on where you
visit in a week it could save you a lot of money.

B2003

Old May 12th 08, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

It really isn't easy to read a tiny, faint display while you are
moving.

I would have to stop and peer carefully at it, and my faculties are
not particuarly degenerated.

Most people would already be past the pad, anticipating the opening of
the gates, and would never stop moving. If they did stop, someone
would walk into them and it would cause a delay.
Old May 12th 08, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Peter Smyth
writes
Tokyo: at a metro station somewhere in the centre, the machine
happily accepted my approx-50-pound banknote and issued ticket and
(approx 49 pounds 50) change.

Was the change in notes or coins?

From memory, a mix.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 12th 08, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

If you're past sight of the pad, you've walked into the gate...
Old May 12th 08, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

Not unless my stomach protruded by about a yard.
Old May 12th 08, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 May 2008, alex_t wrote:

ý is pronounced as English "shch" ("sh" + "ch" quickly)

"y" is "oo". The shch sound is signified by that strange looking W
letter they nicked from hebrew (apparently).

The letter which I typed (and which your newsreader cannot show
correctly) is indeed similar to "W" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shcha_(Cyrillic)
for the image of that letter).

And has a KOI8 code point of 253, which in ISO 8859-1 means
y-with-an-acute.

Which, in a nutshell, is why unicode was invented!

tom

--
Argumentative and pedantic, oh, yes. Although it's properly called
"correct" -- Huge