London Banter

-   -   Nice oyster scam (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6821-nice-oyster-scam.html)

[email protected] June 14th 08 04:43 PM

Nice oyster scam

If you're travelling from an LU station to an NR or DLR station that
doesn't have gates and you're also travelling back the same route -
don't bother touching in or out at your destination. Just touch out at
your home station when you get back and you'll be charged the 4 quid
maximum single fare - less than for a return journey from most outer
stations.

B2003

MIG June 14th 08 05:21 PM

Nice oyster scam

On Jun 14, 5:43*pm, wrote:
If you're travelling from an LU station to an NR or DLR station that
doesn't have gates and you're also travelling back the same route -
don't bother touching in or out at your destination. Just touch out at
your home station when you get back and you'll be charged the 4 quid
maximum single fare - less than for a return journey from most outer
stations.

B2003

Wouldn't that be eight squids rather than four?

[email protected] June 14th 08 05:49 PM

Nice oyster scam

On Jun 14, 6:21 pm, MIG wrote:
On Jun 14, 5:43 pm, wrote:

If you're travelling from an LU station to an NR or DLR station that
doesn't have gates and you're also travelling back the same route -
don't bother touching in or out at your destination. Just touch out at
your home station when you get back and you'll be charged the 4 quid
maximum single fare - less than for a return journey from most outer
stations.

B2003

Wouldn't that be eight squids rather than four?

Nope , it only deducts a single journey. Presumably thats the penalty
fare if you realise you've forgotten something on your way to work or
wherever and have to return home so touch in and out at the same
station.

B2003

Dave Newt June 14th 08 07:16 PM

Nice oyster scam

wrote:
On Jun 14, 6:21 pm, MIG wrote:
On Jun 14, 5:43 pm, wrote:

If you're travelling from an LU station to an NR or DLR station that
doesn't have gates and you're also travelling back the same route -
don't bother touching in or out at your destination. Just touch out at
your home station when you get back and you'll be charged the 4 quid
maximum single fare - less than for a return journey from most outer
stations.
B2003

Wouldn't that be eight squids rather than four?

Nope , it only deducts a single journey. Presumably thats the penalty
fare if you realise you've forgotten something on your way to work or
wherever and have to return home so touch in and out at the same
station.

Isn't anything longer than two hours assumed to be two separate journeys?

asdf June 14th 08 10:37 PM

Nice oyster scam

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:16:20 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

If you're travelling from an LU station to an NR or DLR station that
doesn't have gates and you're also travelling back the same route -
don't bother touching in or out at your destination. Just touch out at
your home station when you get back and you'll be charged the 4 quid
maximum single fare - less than for a return journey from most outer
stations.
B2003
Wouldn't that be eight squids rather than four?

Nope , it only deducts a single journey. Presumably thats the penalty
fare if you realise you've forgotten something on your way to work or
wherever and have to return home so touch in and out at the same
station.

Isn't anything longer than two hours assumed to be two separate journeys?

According to a London Lite article I posted about here around 6 months
ago, the charges for touching in then out at the same station a

- Within 15 minutes: no charge
- Over 15 minutes apart: £8

I've never tried it, though.

Theo Markettos June 14th 08 11:26 PM

Nice oyster scam

asdf wrote:
According to a London Lite article I posted about here around 6 months
ago, the charges for touching in then out at the same station a

- Within 15 minutes: no charge
- Over 15 minutes apart: ?8

I've never tried it, though.

I have a couple of years ago (tried to catch a coach, went halfway, lack of
connecting trains meant I didn't have enough time to get to the coach stop,
came back). The gates won't let you out of the station - you have to go to
the ticket office to get them to resolve it. I don't know what happens if
you do this at an ungated station.

Theo

[email protected] June 15th 08 10:14 AM

Nice oyster scam

On Jun 14, 11:37 pm, asdf wrote:
[...]

Well , it isn't 8 quid any more. Though knowing the journalistic
credibility of that rag it probably never was.

B2003

Helen Deborah Vecht June 16th 08 07:40 AM

Nice oyster scam

yped

On Jun 14, 11:37 pm, asdf wrote:
[...]

My partner touched in and out at Paddington, late one night, after
finding out he'd missed the last train to his destination. He was
charged £1.50 IIRC.

Jouney History doesn't seem to be working at present. The card has been
used (and Auto Top Ups applied) since 1 June but no journeys are
appearing.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

Thunderbug[_3_] June 17th 08 03:23 AM

Nice oyster scam

asdf wrote:
According to a London Lite article I posted about here around 6 months
ago, the charges for touching in then out at the same station a

- Within 15 minutes: no charge
- Over 15 minutes apart: £8

I've never tried it, though.

I have: the charge is £1.50.

I was amongst those evacuated from Kings Cross on the 'booze cruise'
night before the alcohol ban came in, so entered and left the same
station after about 20 minutes without being able to catch a train.

I suspect TfL took a tidy sum that night. Had I not tapped out (all
gates were open and staff directed passengers through the
pushchair/wheelchair gates), no doubt it would've been £4 instead.

Roland Perry June 17th 08 05:44 AM

Nice oyster scam

In message , at 04:23:31 on
Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Thunderbug remarked:
I was amongst those evacuated from Kings Cross on the 'booze cruise'
night before the alcohol ban came in, so entered and left the same
station after about 20 minutes without being able to catch a train.

I suspect TfL took a tidy sum that night. Had I not tapped out (all
gates were open and staff directed passengers through the
pushchair/wheelchair gates), no doubt it would've been £4 instead.

The Oyster system should have a means to do bulk refunds if the
circumstances of such an incident is entered in. It would be an ultimate
insult to be stuck on a tube train for several hours, then charged a
hefty fee when you were eventually liberated.