Old September 8th 03, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster coincidence?

So there I was, changing from the Picc to the Circle at King's X on
Friday, and I made to go through that little set of gates that's a
short cut between the Pic/Vic/NL ticket hall and the passage to the
Circle/H&C/Met lines -- you know the ones, just past the plaque to the
victims of the 87 fire. The ones where tourists inevitably stop,
confused, while us hardened commuters try desperately not to barge on
past.

Anyways up. Bloke in front of me had an Oyster card, which he slapped
on the machine's oyster plate, and it dutifully opened up and let him
through. I stepped up to the oche, slipped my paper technology
one-day travelcard into the approprate slot, and in it went. The gate
immediately switched to its No Exit mode and stayed switched, with my
card somewhere in the bowels. No bleeps, no sign of a problem, just
shut.

After a moment's exercise of my right to free speech, I walzed away to
attract the attention of a member of staff. He opened up the gate,
revealing my ticket perched just inside the entry slot in the rubber
conveyors, wound it through and handed it back to me. I slapped it
into the adjacent machine -- no probs, and off I went. The card
performed perfectly all day thereafter.

Now. Is it purely coincidence that the machine spasmed immediately
after getting an Oyster meal, or is there a bug there? I've never had
this problem before, and I've never seen anyone use an Oyster card
before. Just one of those things -- OR SOMETHING MORE?

(fade grams, roll credits)

Old September 8th 03, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rupert Goodwins" wrote in
message ...

coincidence

Getting peeved with the amount of gates at National Rail stations where the
oystercard reader is knackered yet the light is yellow. Time to scream at
CTS methinks.

Old September 9th 03, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Rupert Goodwins wrote:

Now. Is it purely coincidence that the machine spasmed immediately
after getting an Oyster meal, or is there a bug there? I've never had
this problem before, and I've never seen anyone use an Oyster card
before. Just one of those things -- OR SOMETHING MORE?

Dunno, but I get the opposite problem regularly. Perhaps too quickly
after a paper ticket has gone through (but it accepts it), I swipe
Oyster, it goes green, the gates stay open after the person in front,
but as I get to them, they close on me, and my Oyster will then no
longer work in ANY of the gates at that station.

Happens regularly at Blackhorse Road and Walthamstow Central, though
have had it less often at South Kensington (this is probably not
relevant, these just happen to be the stations I use all the time).

After being let through by an SA, I never have any problems exiting at
the end of the journey. Oh yeah, and these are always entry problems,
never exit problems.

Dave
Old September 9th 03, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:

In article ,
Dave Newt wrote:
Happens regularly at Blackhorse Road and Walthamstow Central, though
have had it less often at South Kensington (this is probably not
relevant, these just happen to be the stations I use all the time).

More cheating scum live around there, so they've reduced the time the
gate is open for?

Possibly, and no, respectively!

Anyway, I think I have rarely been tailgated there in twelve months. Far
more common in Zone 1, in my experience.

As an aside I saw - I /think/ - someone tailgating through the
barriers yesterday. At the Dartford crossing, in a car! Wasn't
really paying attention, so I'm not sure.

I bet those Smart cars could do it quite easily!