Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 10th 08, 01:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Train business

"Richard Dixon" wrote in message
. 253...
Maybe I should have said "busy-ness" and not business, but just wondering
if anyone knew of any websites that detailed how busy trains are coming in
to central London from suburbs?

I am thinking of moving further outward but wondering, aside from actually
waiting at various train platforms in the rush-hour, as to how full trains
are on their approach to London?

For people looking for a longer commuter from more rural areas, I would
have thought "getting a seat on the train" is paramount, and I would have
thought there'd be some sort of resource to help with this somewhere on
the
web?

Thanks in advance for any information !
Richard

You might consider life south of the river. Southern/FCC routes through East
Croydon offer direct trains to/from Victoria, London Bridge and the
Thameslink route. Some South Eastern routes give a choice of direct trains
to/from London Bridge/Cannon Street, Charing Cross and Victoria. I don't
think any other route can give you anything like this level of choice (I'm
sure someone will be along to dispute this!). The downside is that you might
have to look a *long* way out from London in order to be sure of a seat in
the morning. From the Sussex coast you might find people having to stand
from Preston Park or Hove, for example. I commute between Brighton and
Victoria. I *always* get a seat in both directions (this involves getting to
Victoria promptly in the evening), and a forthcoming attraction is a
doubling of the peak-hour service frequency (quarter-hourly) from the
December timetable later this year.

I would be wary of over reliance on the FCC/Thameslink route because major
disruption is likely for the next 10 years or so.

D A Stocks