London Banter

-   -   petrol scam (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/693-petrol-scam.html)

IOOA September 10th 03 08:15 PM

petrol scam

just been shopping in Brent Cross London and returned to my car and smelt
petrol... a man came running up and said
look your leaking petrol,,,, yes petrol all over the inner wheel arch by the
tank

The man said he had a friend who would look at it, who was having a cup of
tea... phoned him on his mobile

five minute he came , yes he can fix it, no cant drive off like that, £50
should do it, go and have a cup of tea and get money

So I asked him what is was... leaking fuel connector pipe.. he had one in
his van

So I said ok but I will have to phone BP... why he asked?..the car is a Golf
1.9 diesel...(no badge on the 1.9L)....BP must have sold me petrol... he
didn't stay long, ran of like a hare

--
There are 11 kinds of people who use Email , those who don't know binary,
those who know binary and who don't get the joke...and those that do get the

Andrew September 10th 03 11:05 PM

petrol scam

"IOOA" wrote in message
just been shopping in Brent Cross London and returned to my car and smelt
petrol... a man came running up and said
look your leaking petrol,,,, yes petrol all over the inner wheel arch by

the
tank

The man said he had a friend who would look at it, who was having a cup of
tea... phoned him on his mobile

five minute he came , yes he can fix it, no cant drive off like that, £50
should do it, go and have a cup of tea and get money

So I asked him what is was... leaking fuel connector pipe.. he had one in
his van

So I said ok but I will have to phone BP... why he asked?..the car is a

Golf
1.9 diesel...(no badge on the 1.9L)....BP must have sold me petrol... he
didn't stay long, ran of like a hare

don't suppose he poured a bit of petrol on your car while you weren't
looking, then was planning to wipe it off and charge you £50 ?

Andrew

Paul Weaver September 11th 03 07:53 AM

petrol scam

don't suppose he poured a bit of petrol on your car while you weren't
looking, then was planning to wipe it off and charge you £50 ?

Obvious in the clear light of day, but useful to be aware in that
situation, its easy to be bamboozled. Like the cash-card swipers that
distract you just as you get money out but before your card

Nick Cooper September 13th 03 01:27 PM

petrol scam

On 11 Sep 2003 00:53:00 -0700, (Paul Weaver)
wrote:

don't suppose he poured a bit of petrol on your car while you weren't
looking, then was planning to wipe it off and charge you £50 ?

Obvious in the clear light of day, but useful to be aware in that
situation, its easy to be bamboozled. Like the cash-card swipers that
distract you just as you get money out but before your card

I thought most cashpoints return the card first, and only offer the
cash one it's taken.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk