Old July 17th 08, 05:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Has this ever happened in London?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3469193.story

It's a story about removing *all* seats from some carriages on some trains
because of overcrowding.

Old July 17th 08, 07:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jul 17, 6:47*am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...in-seats-webju...

It's a story about removing *all* seats from some carriages on some trains
because of overcrowding.

The effectiveness depends on a lot more than just removing seats.

Like, is there anything to hold on to? Are there sloping walls that
make it difficult to squash up to the edge? Are there chunky
obstructions all over the place that also make it difficult to squash
up? Is the space only useable if half the people haven't got legs or
haven't got a top half to their body?

Based on the example of Jubilee Line stock and 376s, we'd probably
invent seatless trains with even less capacity that seated ones.
Old July 17th 08, 08:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...in-seats-webju...

It's a story about removing *all* seats from some carriages on some trains
because of overcrowding.

The effectiveness depends on a lot more than just removing seats.

Like, is there anything to hold on to? Are there sloping walls that
make it difficult to squash up to the edge? Are there chunky
obstructions all over the place that also make it difficult to squash
up? Is the space only useable if half the people haven't got legs or
haven't got a top half to their body?

Based on the example of Jubilee Line stock and 376s, we'd probably
invent seatless trains with even less capacity that seated ones.

Doesn't say. Simply refers to "ripping out seats".

Old July 17th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 06:47:00 on
Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Graham Harrison
remarked:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...seats-webjul17
,0,3469193.story

It's a story about removing *all* seats from some carriages on some
trains because of overcrowding.

There are trains with very large empty areas on the Brussels Metro, and
I've also seen them in Copenhagen. In both cases I think the primary
intention is to carry cycles, but the Brussels ones certainly state a
maximum capacity of strandees that's around 150 iirc.
Old July 17th 08, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 17, 8:38 am, MIG wrote:
Based on the example of Jubilee Line stock and 376s, we'd probably
invent seatless trains with even less capacity that seated ones.

They're sort of going halfway with the new victoria line stock which
has large areas where the 1 wheelchair user a month will use and for
every other day more people will have to stand. I guess we'll find out
whether its a good idea or not though I suspect for most people it'll
make little difference since in the rush hour on that line unless you
board near one of the termini you don't get a seat anyway.

B2003

Old July 17th 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...in-seats-webju...

It's a story about removing *all* seats from some carriages on some
trains
because of overcrowding.

The effectiveness depends on a lot more than just removing seats.

Like, is there anything to hold on to? Are there sloping walls that
make it difficult to squash up to the edge? Are there chunky
obstructions all over the place that also make it difficult to squash
up? Is the space only useable if half the people haven't got legs or
haven't got a top half to their body?

Based on the example of Jubilee Line stock and 376s, we'd probably
invent seatless trains with even less capacity that seated ones.

Doesn't say. Simply refers to "ripping out seats".

Chicago's CTA trains have upright walls, no sloping. As a frequent rider, I
find it humorous the CTA is just now discovering that rush hour is "tight".
Been that way for years.

Rich