London Banter

-   -   New(ish) book: "Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites" (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/696-new-ish-book-britains-historic.html)

John Rowland September 11th 03 11:16 AM

New(ish) book: "Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites"

Hi all,

It covers the London Underground as well as the mainline railways.
(Presumably it also covers the Glasgow Underground, although I didn't check
that.)

The main drawbacks of the book are that all photos are in black and white,
and not every described structure is photographed. But this is an admirable
book which tries to complete its subject, and belongs on the bookshelf of
everyone who can afford the GBP 60 price.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Mark Youngman September 11th 03 05:28 PM

New(ish) book: "Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites"

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Hi all,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._books_1_1/202
-1421405-7985441

It covers the London Underground as well as the mainline railways.
(Presumably it also covers the Glasgow Underground, although I didn't

check
that.)

The main drawbacks of the book are that all photos are in black and white,
and not every described structure is photographed. But this is an

admirable
book which tries to complete its subject, and belongs on the bookshelf of
everyone who can afford the GBP 60 price.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

The last Modern Railways saw it available for £50 if i recall.

I've got a copy. I must say its worth it and the kind of book if you are
interested in the architecture of Britain's railways to offer a real good
overview of the project, and useful guides on where to find out more
information.

Mark