London Banter

-   -   Oyster PAYG from Fenchurch Street (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/6960-oyster-payg-fenchurch-street.html)

Ian Jelf July 17th 08 07:17 PM

Oyster PAYG from Fenchurch Street

In message .uk, Colin
Rosenstiel writes
In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

my first ever visit to London Easter 1980

Gosh! What you missed by being such a late-comer.

Sorry.

I date from 1964 so I was indeed a relative latecomer to London. Made
up for it since, mind you.......

Trolleybuses and all
those 1950s pea-soupers for a start.

As it happens I had been through London before then, en route to Dover
for trips to family in Germany.

This involved a walk from Victoria Coach station to Victoria Station.
I remember being very puzzled at all the buses being Green (as we were
walking past all the Green Line stops).
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Colin Rosenstiel July 17th 08 07:37 PM

Oyster PAYG from Fenchurch Street

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:04 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

Or indeed catch the 100, a route I seem to encounter a lot in
many different places but have never ridden on one!

You too! I keep stumbling over it in the Blackfriars area and wondered
once whether catching one would solve a journey problem between
Southwark and King's Cross (or vice-versa). But I've never travelled
on it either.

Surely the 63 and 45 would solve that?

They would have done so had something not gone wrong on the day in
question. Those are two routes I actually use vaguely regularly in London
other than the tube. I forget the details but I got dumped somewhere near
Smithfield IIRC.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Bill Hayles July 18th 08 10:35 AM

Oyster PAYG from Fenchurch Street

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:53:11 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

(There was a tourist route with a preserved bus in 1980 when the LT
Museum first opened, was that the 100? I remember seeing that in
Trafalgar Square on my first ever visit to London Easter 1980.)

I still think of it as running from Barking to Beckton Gas Works.

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com