Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 28th 08, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.transport.london

Default Post Office Alley in Chiswick, London

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, michael adams wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Richard J. wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
In Thames Rd aka Strand On The Green,

I can't help with your question, but just to correct one point in your
post: Thames Road is not "aka" Strand on the Green. The name Strand on
the Green is applied both to (a) the riverside village just downstream
from Kew Bridge, and (b) within that village the highway along the
river bank. That highway starts as a road but the road soon veers away
from the river at which point it becomes Thames Road. Strand on the
Green (the highway) continues along the river bank as a mere towpath,
but still has houses fronting on to it (with postal addresses of xx
Strand on the Green) whose land reaches back as far as Thames Road,
sometimes with separate buildings fronting on to Thames Road.

"What is the name of this road" is often a surprisingly difficult
question to answer: it is not rare for the two sides of a road to have
different names, although this is a particularly unusual example,
because there are Thames Road properties on both sides of the road, and
there are Strand On The Green properties on both sides of the road, and
the experience of someone driving along the road is that both sides of
the road are changing name back and forth. In particular, there are
some properties numbered as Strand On The Green on the north side of
the road east of the point where Thames Road starts, which defeats your
argument. Therefore I don't consider my original post to be in need of
correction.

Just a thought.

What you see on Strand on The Green are the backs of the houses. Same as
the top end of Park Lane whose "actual address" is far less prestigeous.
So possibly in both cases the owners have taken advantage of the fact
that their houses stand on two thoroughfares and have chosed the better
one - even fitting a letter box if necessary. And just so lang as
there's no intention to decieve that's presumably o.k.

Here's another thought: if you had a letterbox on both sides, could you
have two addresses? Do addresses in fact belong to letterboxes, and not
houses?

All I remember reading is that the first 20 or so houses in Park Lane
from the Marble Arch end, aren't actually in Park Lane at all but in
Dunraven Street. I don't know what they put on their letterheads.
And as Park Lane only has houses on one side....I've never bothered to
actually check where No 1 is.

michael adams

That's true, mutatis mutandis, of internet addresses and network
interfaces. I was very confused when i realised that my computer didn't
actually have an internet address, but my network card did! And am still
slightly confused by the fact that it's my computer which has the domain
name ... isn't it?

tom

--
an optical recording release. copyright digitally mastered. .,