Old July 29th 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.transport.london

Default Post Office Alley in Chiswick, London

"Adrian Stott" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:54:47 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

Obviously the residents will have
used horses and horsedrawn transport in addition, using an unnamed
roadway or pathway around the actual Green. When the houses were built,
the whole thing, towpath, houses, and any road or pathway between the green
and houses were all known as Strand on the Green.

Was there ever a towpath there? Isn't approaching that bank by boat
impossible at low tide?

It was the OP who first referred to a "towpath" -

quote

"Richard J." wrote in message
om...

Since
the houses we are talking about mostly pre-date River Road, I'm not sure how
you define "facing" and "backing on to" the river and its towpath when those
were the only thoroughfares.

/quote

I simply went along with his usage so as not to confuse the issue any
further.

I think that the towpath now is on the other
side of the river in this length, next to the navigation channel which
has sufficient depth for navigation at low tide.

If you insist -

picky

What's on the opposite bank is a "footpath" - with numerous
trees etc between the path and the river which would have ruled out any
use of rope,

"Towpaths" are most commonly found on canals where horses were used to tow
the barges. And where the more normal means of propulsion i.e sail or oar
weren't available.

/picky

For anyone who's interested the railway bridge in the vicinity may
have suffered bomb damage during the War as some of the piers are different
- plainer and without the original embellishments. This is from the Kew
footpath side. There's also one odd pier on the Strand-on-The Green end
as well

http://i34.tinypic.com/2qicj5t.jpg

picture of bridge

800x600

michael adams

Adrian

.

Adrian Stott

Old July 29th 08, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
om...

Since
the houses we are talking about mostly pre-date River Road, I'm not
sure how you define "facing" and "backing on to" the river and its
towpath when those were the only thoroughfares.

/quote

I simply went along with his usage so as not to confuse the issue any
further.

I was using "towpath" to mean the path that runs along the river bank. I
wasn't implying that it was used to tow barges or other boats. The word is
often used in this wider sense, including several examples on the PLA
website.
--
Richard J.

Old July 29th 08, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.waterways,uk.transport.london

In message , michael adams
writes

What's on the opposite bank is a "footpath" - with numerous trees etc
between the path and the river which would have ruled out any use of
rope,

The trees have all grown since the demise of barge towing. In fact, the
chestnuts on the Kew bank, opposite Strand on the Green, were
deliberately planted to enhance the view. They were not there in the age
of towing for the reason you state.

The actual towing path along the Thames was entirely on the south
(Surrey) side for many miles upstream of London. There are a few
riverside walks on the north bank, but they are not continuous and were
never part of an actual towpath.

"Towpaths" are most commonly found on canals where horses were used to
tow the barges. And where the more normal means of propulsion i.e sail
or oar weren't available.

There was certainly some towed transport on the Thames, but the river is
strongly tidal (originally as far as Kingston) and so most carriers made
use of the tides, aided by wind where possible, rather than towing.

For anyone who's interested the railway bridge in the vicinity may have
suffered bomb damage during the War as some of the piers are different
- plainer and without the original embellishments.

I think that's more than likely - and also, perhaps, an answer to the
OP's query. There was severe damage to the area around Old Post Office
Alley in 1940 as the result of a land mine (which destroyed most of the
adjacent City Barge pub). I'll try to remember to take a look next time
I got to the latter, but I suspect the metal knobs are the ends of tie
rods to stop any further bulging of a weakened wall.

Although that part of Chiswick now appears peaceful and affluent, it had
some nasty scrapes during WW2, including (not far from Strand on the
Green) the first V2 rocket to fall on London - hushed-up at the time as
a "gas explosion".
--
Paul Terry