Old August 11th 08, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Ambulances

A slip road with "No entry" signs on both ends has been created in W2 to
allow emergency vehicles to get from Westbourne Terrace Road to Westbourne
Terrace. How do drivers of emergency vehicles find out about the
infrastructure which is there for them? Are new ambulance drivers given a
graffitied A-Z, or a modified satnav, or just a list?

Old August 12th 08, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message

A slip road with "No entry" signs on both ends has been created in W2 to
allow emergency vehicles to get from Westbourne Terrace Road to Westbourne
Terrace. How do drivers of emergency vehicles find out about the
infrastructure which is there for them? Are new ambulance drivers given a
graffitied A-Z, or a modified satnav, or just a list?

London Ambulances all have a bespoke SatNav system fitted, i.e. it's not a
standard off-the-shelf job. I guess they must still buy the mapping data
from somewhere, so couldn't answer about how these things get into the
system. Maybe I'll ask when I'm next talking to their techy folk.

Old August 12th 08, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message , Tue,
12 Aug 2008 19:32:25, Graculus
posted:

London Ambulances all have a bespoke SatNav system fitted, i.e. it's
not a standard off-the-shelf job.

That could be interesting - Wikimapia shows a road running right through
my GP's new consulting room. Perhaps that's why they've installed a new
strong-looking fence. OS Explorer 161, 1:25000, 1999, sh0ws no sign of
the road.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.