London Banter

-   -   Thames Gateway (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7114-thames-gateway.html)

John Rowland August 23rd 08 02:00 PM

Thames Gateway

14 pictures to step through...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/im...allery.shtml?1

Tom Anderson August 23rd 08 03:40 PM

Thames Gateway

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, John Rowland wrote:

14 pictures to step through...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/im...allery.shtml?1

WHAT.

Did i miss Chatham being built on a mountainside?

tom

--
I have been trying to find a way of framing this but yes, a light meal is
probably preferable to a heavy one under the circumstances. -- ninebelow

John Rowland August 23rd 08 03:51 PM

Thames Gateway

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, John Rowland wrote:

14 pictures to step through...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/im...allery.shtml?1

WHAT.

Did i miss Chatham being built on a mountainside?

It's a cut-price Schwebebahn. Remember the plan for cable cars from East
India Station to the Dome?
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...tml#DomeAerial

Clive D. W. Feather August 25th 08 11:37 AM

Thames Gateway

In article , John Rowland
writes
14 pictures to step through...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/im...ateway_futuris
tic_gallery.shtml?1

Number 10 appears to be moving Benfleet station to the Blinking Owl
intersection (where the A130 crosses the A127). That'll be an
interesting project.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

John Rowland August 25th 08 01:47 PM

Thames Gateway

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , John Rowland
writes
14 pictures to step through...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/content/im...ateway_futuris
tic_gallery.shtml?1

Number 10 appears to be moving Benfleet station to the Blinking Owl
intersection (where the A130 crosses the A127). That'll be an
interesting project.

No, they're showing it moving to where the A13 crosses the A130, an even
more interesting project.

D7666 August 26th 08 06:57 AM

Thames Gateway

On Aug 23, 4:51 pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Did i miss Chatham being built on a mountainside?

It's a cut-price Schwebebahn.

Eh ?

How is a Schwebebahn a cut down cableway ?

Thats a bit like saying a footpath is a cutdown travolator - the two
are different applications using different systems for different
reasons.

--
Nick

John Rowland August 26th 08 07:40 AM

Thames Gateway

John Rowland wrote:

where the A13 crosses the A130

.... which incidentally looks like a Magic Roundabout... could someone
confirm that before I add it to Wiki's list of Magic Roundabouts. Does it
have a name?

John Rowland August 26th 08 08:12 AM

Thames Gateway

D7666 wrote:
On Aug 23, 4:51 pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Did i miss Chatham being built on a mountainside?

It's a cut-price Schwebebahn.

Eh ?

How is a Schwebebahn a cut down cableway ?

I didn't say it was, I said a cableway is a cut price Schwebebahn.
The reason I made the comparison is that the Schwebebahn exists because of
the River Wupper, and I suspect that the cableway is being planned for
Chatham because of the Medway

Thats a bit like saying a footpath is a cutdown travolator

Well, it is.

- the two
are different applications using different systems for different
reasons.

And yet, one of the cost reductions in St Pancras Thameslink involved
replacing the planned travolator to the tube with.... a footpath.

D7666 August 26th 08 10:45 AM

Thames Gateway

On Aug 26, 9:12 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:

OK I see what you mean.

Chatham because of the Medway

But surely even then the schebebahn runs *along* the course of the
river but cablecars tend to go across things ?

--
Nick

Tom Anderson August 26th 08 11:22 AM

Thames Gateway

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, D7666 wrote:

On Aug 26, 9:12 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:

OK I see what you mean.

Chatham because of the Medway

But surely even then the schebebahn runs *along* the course of the
river but cablecars tend to go across things ?

Cablecars tend to go *up* things. Are there any that are built in the
complete absence of a steep slope? By 'complete absence', i mean without a
slope anywhere along; Barcelona's, for example, is on the level between
the foot of Montjuic and the port, but it's there because there's a big
slope from the foot of Montjuic to the top of Montjuic.

Anyway, my reading was that John was being somewhat silly. A cable-car is
a ludicrous thing to build in Chatham, so it seems fit that the
justification for it is also ludicrous.

tom

--
MADSKILLZ!

Boltar August 26th 08 11:38 AM

Thames Gateway

On Aug 26, 12:22 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
Anyway, my reading was that John was being somewhat silly. A cable-car is
a ludicrous thing to build in Chatham, so it seems fit that the
justification for it is also ludicrous.

On the contrary , the locals would love it. They could use the cars
are a perfect place to get boozed up in then leave their empties and
pools of vomit behind. Naturally each trip would involve optionally
swinging back and forth in the car as hard as possible to try and get
it to hit something and lets not forget the breaking a window game so
they can chuck stuff down onto people and property beneath. Also think
of the golden (or should that been dayglo green?) opportunity the
disciples of TOX03 would have. - their sigs passing over everyone all
day continuously.

B2003

Roland Perry August 26th 08 11:45 AM

Thames Gateway

In message , at
12:22:22 on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Cablecars tend to go *up* things. Are there any that are built in the
complete absence of a steep slope? By 'complete absence', i mean
without a slope anywhere along; Barcelona's, for example, is on the
level between the foot of Montjuic and the port, but it's there because
there's a big slope from the foot of Montjuic to the top of Montjuic.

The cable-car at Alton Towers goes across a valley, rather than "up a
hill".

Mr Thant August 26th 08 11:53 AM

Thames Gateway

On 26 Aug, 12:22, Tom Anderson wrote:
Cablecars tend to go *up* things. Are there any that are built in the
complete absence of a steep slope? By 'complete absence', i mean without a
slope anywhere along;

The Roosevelt Island tramway might count:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway

It goes from Manhattan across the East River to Roosevelt Island.
Granted, the bit over the river is much higher than the two ground
stations, but the overall journey is essentially horizontal.

Tom Anderson August 26th 08 02:17 PM

Thames Gateway

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 12:22:22
on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Tom Anderson remarked:

Cablecars tend to go *up* things. Are there any that are built in the
complete absence of a steep slope? By 'complete absence', i mean
without a slope anywhere along; Barcelona's, for example, is on the
level between the foot of Montjuic and the port, but it's there because
there's a big slope from the foot of Montjuic to the top of Montjuic.

The cable-car at Alton Towers goes across a valley, rather than "up a hill".

Okay, good one. There, i think we have an auxiliary reason for cable-cars,
which is that they're cool, and at a theme park, that's a good enough
reason. Alton Towers also has a number of light rail systems, and despite
the fact that they are all closed cloops with only one station, they have
a quite remarkable variety of grades and curves. And some really rather
unorthodox approaches to seating!

tom

--
First man to add a mixer get a shoeing! -- The Laird

Tom Anderson August 26th 08 02:31 PM

Thames Gateway

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Mr Thant wrote:

On 26 Aug, 12:22, Tom Anderson wrote:
Cablecars tend to go *up* things. Are there any that are built in the
complete absence of a steep slope? By 'complete absence', i mean without a
slope anywhere along;

The Roosevelt Island tramway might count:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway

It goes from Manhattan across the East River to Roosevelt Island.
Granted, the bit over the river is much higher than the two ground
stations, but the overall journey is essentially horizontal.

I was in New York with a friend a while ago, and one morning, after having
spent the previous evening making an extensive survey of local beverage
outlets, he told me he'd noticed a cable-car. I told him in no uncertain
terms that he was mistaken, and to exercise greater restraint in his
consumption in future. About an hour later, i was rather surprised to walk
past it myself. I never mentioned it to him, and hopefully he still thinks
it's imaginary.

So why the bloody buggering hell did they build it? According to
wikipedia, it was built at a time when there was no road bridge to
Manhattan, only Queens, the previous tram bridge had fallen into
disrepair, and the subway was still under construction. What i don't
really understand was why building a cable-car was thought to be a better
option than repairing the tram tracks, or converting them into a road
bridge. Or even a footbridge, given that it's not far, and the cable-car
doesn't exactly go far anyway.

Cross-posted to nyc.transit, who will doubtless have opinions.

tom

--
First man to add a mixer get a shoeing! -- The Laird

Bolwerk August 26th 08 03:07 PM

Thames Gateway

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

My best guess is that a bridge would probably have been expensive,
especially if high enough not to block what was then (and still is to a
large extent) a critical navigable waterway.

As I understand it, the aerial tramway was supposed to be temporary, but
became so popular that it was kept even after the subway stop was finished.

Joseph D. Korman August 26th 08 03:38 PM

Thames Gateway

Tom Anderson wrote:

[...]

When you say, tram, I think are referring to what we call a trolley or
streetcar. The Queensboro Bridge had trolley tracks and a station. But
needed an elevator to get to the station on the bridge. There was an
underground terminal in Manhattan. The trolley stopped running in 1957.
From that time, until the current tram opened in 1976, there was no
way to get directly to Manhattan from Roosevelt (nee:Blackwell, nee:
Welfare) Island.

One reason that the tram is still operating is that its terminal in
Manhattan is at Second Ave, while the subway station is at Lexington,
two blocks away. This give residents of RI a choice of destinations in
Manhattan.

The subway opened in 1989. For the most part service on the subway used
the 6th Ave Subway. There was a brief time when it was a shuttle to
57th and Broadway. This was to allow track work to be done on the line.

From its opening in 1989 to 2001, there was only one stop in Queens.
On December 16, 2001, the F train began to use the line 24/7 and was
through routed to eastern Queens - 179th St.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
| The light at the end of the tunnel ... |
| may be a train going the other way! |
| Brooklyn Tech Grads build things that work!('66)|
|-------------------------------------------------|
| All outgoing E-mail is scanned by NAV |

Roland Perry August 26th 08 04:32 PM

Thames Gateway

In message , at
15:17:25 on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
The cable-car at Alton Towers goes across a valley, rather than "up a hill".

Okay, good one. There, i think we have an auxiliary reason for
cable-cars, which is that they're cool, and at a theme park, that's a
good enough reason.

The valley is surprisingly deep, and the way around the end surprisingly
far. It has a great deal of utility, as well as being merely "cool" :)

Arthur Figgis August 26th 08 06:42 PM

Thames Gateway

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, D7666 wrote:

On Aug 26, 9:12 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:

OK I see what you mean.

Chatham because of the Medway

But surely even then the schebebahn runs *along* the course of the
river but cablecars tend to go across things ?

Cablecars tend to go *up* things. Are there any that are built in the
complete absence of a steep slope? By 'complete absence', i mean without
a slope anywhere along; Barcelona's, for example, is on the level
between the foot of Montjuic and the port, but it's there because
there's a big slope from the foot of Montjuic to the top of Montjuic.

http://www.koelner-seilbahn.de crosses the Rhine.

Whereas the Dresden Schwebebahn goes up a hill.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwebebahn_Dresden

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Jeremy Parker August 26th 08 09:12 PM

Thames Gateway

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
.li...
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
12:22:22 on Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:

Cablecars tend to go *up* things. Are there any that are built in
the complete absence of a steep slope? By 'complete absence', i
mean without a slope anywhere along; Barcelona's, for example, is
on the level between the foot of Montjuic and the port, but it's
there because there's a big slope from the foot of Montjuic to
the top of Montjuic.

The cable-car at Alton Towers goes across a valley, rather than
"up a hill".

Okay, good one. There, i think we have an auxiliary reason for
cable-cars, which is that they're cool, and at a theme park, that's
a good enough reason.

Which is why there is a proposal for a cross Thames cablecar in
Docklands. The route would be Canary Wharf- the Dome- Canning Town,
and perhaps on, up the Lea, to the Olympics site at Stratford;
cheap, quick to install, reasonably non controversial, so long as it
keeps clear of City Airport, and with the same tourist potential as
the London Eye.

If it turns out not to work, you could probably even sell the remains
second hand.

Jeremy Parker

[email protected] August 27th 08 09:45 AM

Thames Gateway

On 26 Aug, 08:40, "John Rowland"
wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

where the A13 crosses the A130

... which incidentally looks like a Magic Roundabout... could someone
confirm that before I add it to Wiki's list of Magic Roundabouts. Does it
have a name?

Yes - Sadler's Hall. (You may like to peruse www.sabre-roads.org.uk if
this is your cup of tea!) :-)

Sam

D7666 August 27th 08 12:54 PM

Thames Gateway

On Aug 26, 12:22 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

But surely even then the schebebahn runs *along* the course of the
river but cablecars tend to go across things ?

Cablecars tend to go *up* things. Are there any that are built in the
complete absence of a steep slope?

Not necessarily up things - there is a cable car transit in new York
that goes acorss something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway

I don't like quoting wiki-piffle though but it does explain it.

--
Nick

D7666 August 27th 08 12:55 PM

Thames Gateway

On Aug 27, 1:54 pm, D7666 wrote:
On Aug 26, 12:22 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

But surely even then the schebebahn runs *along* the course of the
river but cablecars tend to go across things ?

Cablecars tend to go *up* things. Are there any that are built in the
complete absence of a steep slope?

Not necessarily up things - there is a cable car transit in new York
that goes acorss something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway

I don't like quoting wiki-piffle though but it does explain it.

--
Nick

Cached pages caught up, sorry, I see the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway
was already quoted in intermediate messages that were not apparent 2
minutes ago.

--
Nick

Clive D. W. Feather August 29th 08 10:08 AM

Thames Gateway

In article , Tom
Anderson writes
The cable-car at Alton Towers goes across a valley, rather than "up a hill".

Okay, good one. There, i think we have an auxiliary reason for
cable-cars, which is that they're cool, and at a theme park, that's a
good enough reason.

And, now I think of it, I've seen cable cars at theme parks that are
completely on the flat (though I couldn't say where from memory).

Alton Towers also has a number of light rail systems, and despite the
fact that they are all closed cloops with only one station, they have a
quite remarkable variety of grades and curves. And some really rather
unorthodox approaches to seating!

Actually, one of them has two stations. Many of them also have sidings,
and I can think of one where the station has an island platform with
regular service on both tracks. [Come to think of it, a lot of the
stations have separate arrival and departure platforms.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Clive D. W. Feather August 29th 08 10:15 AM

Thames Gateway

In article , John Rowland
writes
Number 10 appears to be moving Benfleet station to the Blinking Owl
intersection (where the A130 crosses the A127). That'll be an
interesting project.

No, they're showing it moving to where the A13 crosses the A130, an even
more interesting project.

Hmm, on second thoughts I think you're right. That makes the two yellow
squares be Hadleigh Castle and Priory Park.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Clive D. W. Feather August 29th 08 10:25 AM

Thames Gateway

In article , John Rowland
writes
where the A13 crosses the A130

... which incidentally looks like a Magic Roundabout... could someone
confirm that before I add it to Wiki's list of Magic Roundabouts. Does it
have a name?

The technical name for these is Ring Junctions and, indeed, this is a 5
element ring junction.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Tom Anderson August 29th 08 12:17 PM

Thames Gateway

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article , John Rowland
writes
where the A13 crosses the A130

... which incidentally looks like a Magic Roundabout... could someone
confirm that before I add it to Wiki's list of Magic Roundabouts. Does it
have a name?

The technical name for these is Ring Junctions and, indeed, this is a 5
element ring junction.

I've also heard the name 'olympic roundabout', although i can't find any
kind of official source for that.

tom

--
On Question Time last night, Tony Benn was saying that the way to solve
the low turnout at elections was to make voting compulsory. I think the