Old September 24th 08, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Journey Planner and delays

Evening all,

If the Journey Planner describes a leg like this (where *** means in
bright green letters):

Walthamstow Central Station
Take the Route Bus 20 towards Debden

*** HIGH ROAD, LEYTON E10: Routes 20 55 69 97 230 257 357 W15 W16 W19 N26
will be subject to severe delays between 0900 Tuesday 20 May and
approximately Saturday 1 November, between Abbots Park and Lea Bridge
Road due to Thames Water Main renewal. ***

Average journey time: 13 mins

Is it saying it'd take 13 minutes without the delays, or 13 minutes
including delays?

Is there a good way to get real-time information about how delayed a route
is?

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether the delays at that specific
point, basically the northern end of Leyton High Road, where the bus
garage is, are likely to clobber a trip eastwards from Walthamstow Central
this saturday evening?

tom

--
SOY! SOY! SOY! Soy makes you strong! Strength crushes enemies! SOY!

Old September 25th 08, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 24 Sep, 23:30, Tom Anderson wrote:
Evening all,

If the Journey Planner describes a leg like this (where *** means in
bright green letters):

* Walthamstow Central Station
* Take the Route Bus 20 towards Debden

* *** HIGH ROAD, LEYTON E10: Routes 20 55 69 97 230 257 357 W15 W16 W19 N26
* will be subject to severe delays between 0900 Tuesday 20 May and
* approximately Saturday 1 November, between Abbots Park and Lea Bridge
* Road due to Thames Water Main renewal. ***

* Average journey time: 13 mins

Is it saying it'd take 13 minutes without the delays, or 13 minutes
including delays?

It's the normal journey time i.e. without the delays.

Is there a good way to get real-time information about how delayed a route
is?

No, not really. This "Live travel news" page for buses just repeats
what you've been told already:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...s/default.html

I imagine the iBus project might offer up some more dynamic provision
of live information at some point.

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether the delays at that specific
point, basically the northern end of Leyton High Road, where the bus
garage is, are likely to clobber a trip eastwards from Walthamstow Central
this saturday evening?

I don't know the specific roadworks, but my gut instinct is that
you'll be OK, just leave a bit of extra time. What time in the evening
are we talking here? Post-7pm-ish and the traffic will be less.
Old September 25th 08, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Mizter T wrote:

On 24 Sep, 23:30, Tom Anderson wrote:

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether the delays at that specific
point, basically the northern end of Leyton High Road, where the bus
garage is, are likely to clobber a trip eastwards from Walthamstow
Central this saturday evening?

I don't know the specific roadworks, but my gut instinct is that you'll
be OK, just leave a bit of extra time. What time in the evening are we
talking here? Post-7pm-ish and the traffic will be less.

The idea is to get to the final destination, which is described as 15
minutes' walk, so probably about 10, somewhere in the window 1900-1930.
That would imply an undelayed departure from the 'stow about 1830-1900.
Just on the cusp of the time of day when it might not be worth risking it
(although at least it's a weekend).

However, i have established a reputation amongst my friends for always
being spectacularly late, so that time is a somewhat moveable feast!
Timing things to arrive Walthamstow at 1930, getting to the destination at
2000, unruffled and with sincere apologies, might be prudent ...

Thanks for the gen.

tom

--
The revolution is here. Get against the wall, sunshine. -- Mike Froggatt
Old September 25th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Mizter T" wrote in message
snip
I imagine the iBus project might offer up some more dynamic provision
of live information at some point.

You would think so but as yet the travel information centre still don't have
access to the mapping side of it, and they didn't used to have the old AVLS
mapping either.

I was stuck int he city waiting for a 78 the other evening, all they could
tell me was there are roadworks...
This was after a 40min wait for a service that was booked every 10 min's

Also (interestingley) after a group call on the radio the Ibus decided to
die and never recovered for the rest of the route.

I don't know the specific roadworks, but my gut instinct is that
you'll be OK, just leave a bit of extra time. What time in the evening
are we talking here? Post-7pm-ish and the traffic will be less.

Not sure depends on any list of given things.. You might get lucky and get
through quite quick.

All the info on the website, and the travel information centre have access
to is a combination of LTIS and SWK's. I'm not sure if they have access to
the real time congestion mapping.