Old October 8th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default London bus strikes

[x posted to uk.transport.london]

http://www.tgwu.org.uk/Templates/News.asp?NodeID=94534

First Bus and Metrobus are being called out on strike for 24 hours on
10th and 22nd October. They are also being joined by Metroline drivers
on these dates.

Ballots also underway at Arriva London North, Arriva London South, East
London Buses [1] and East Thames Buses with a view to them being called
out on the 22nd Oct. London Sovereign are also to be formally balloted
following a 98% vote in favour in a consultative ballot.

Looks like 22/10/08 will be the biggest day in terms of impact so far
with a lot of North London affected and a slice of South London also
affected.

[1] not sure if this is just East London Buses and not Selkent or
whether it is at "group" level and covers East London, Selkent and the
new East London Bus unit at Rainham.

--
Paul C

Old October 9th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Oct 8, 1:11�pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

I hope they (striking bus drivers) all die of painful, lengthy
diseases. The sooner this scum is removed, and replaced with compliant
Eastern Europeans or anyone else actually prepared to do what they are
paid so generously to do, the better.

Marc.

Old October 9th 08, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

From the union's website today (MY RESPONSE IN UPPER-CASE):-

Unite submitted a London wide claim to all bus operators in March of
this year to challenge the current system whereby drivers (and other
grades) performing identical jobs within the TfL regulated industry,
receive hugely varying pay and conditions.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD: DIFFERENT PEOPLE DOING THE SAME JOB IN
DIFFERENT COMPANIES GET PAID DIFFERENTLY. GET REAL AND GET OVER IT.

Unite is calling for a single rate of pay for drivers of �30,000 a
year, based on a 38 hour week. Currently the 18 London bus companies
all operate with different pay structures, with pay inequalities of up
to �6,000 a year.

�30,000 A YEAR!!!! I WENT TO UNIVERSITY FOR 4 YEARS, AND DID 2 YEARS'
TRAINING AFTER THAT, AND 20 YEARS LATER I STILL DON'T GET THAT MUCH!
SHOCK HORROR: SOME DRIVERS EARN �6,000 LESS THAN OTHERS!!!!! 38
HOURS A BLOODY WEEK AND �30,0000 - I AM GENUINELY INCREDULOUS!

Peter Kavanagh, Unite senior regional organiser, said: "There is a
startling disparity between bus drivers' pay in the capital, with
rosters in some companies seeing many drivers' complete nearly 60
hours per week.

WHAT'S "STARTLING" ABOUT PAY DISPARITY? OKAY, LET'S EQUALISE
EVERYTHING DOWN TO THE LOWEST CURRENT PAY AVAILABLE.

"Not only is this potentially unsafe, it is unfair to have bus workers
across London doing the same job for less money or having to put in
much longer hours.

WHAT IS "UNSAFE" ABOUT SOME DRIVERS EARNING MORE THAN OTHERS? OR DO
SOME DRIVERS ONLY BECOME "SAFE" WHEN EARNING OVER �30,000P.A.?

"Our members will continue to strike

AND TREAT THE REST OF US WITH UTTER CONTEMPT

and we will continue to ballot further bus companies until Boris
Johnson listens up

WHAT'S IT GOT TO DO WITH HIM?

and engages in serious discussions for equal pay for all London bus
workers."

THESE ARE PRIVATE COMPANIES, AND FREE TO PAY WHATEVER THE MARKET WILL
TAKE. TYPICAL THAT THE UNIONS SHOULD WANT TO INVOLVE CITY HALL
BUREAUCRATS TO SUPPORT THEIR SPURIOUS CLAIM - THE WHOLE POINT OF
PRIVATISATION WAS TO PREVENT THIS NONSENSE.

Marc.
Old October 9th 08, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
From the union's website today (MY RESPONSE IN UPPER-CASE):-

[...]

Sounds like you need to drive a bus and earn real money.

Old October 9th 08, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Oct 9, 8:05�pm, "4sub" wrote:
wrote in message

From the union's website today (MY RESPONSE IN UPPER-CASE):-

[...]

Yes, I'd be GLAD to work for 38 hours a week and get up to �30,000,
regular hours, no "homework", paid holidays, free travel, pension,
free uniform etc, etc. Sounds like a real cushy number - pity the
striking "drivers" don't think so.

Old October 9th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

wrote in message

From the union's website today (MY RESPONSE IN UPPER-CASE):-

**** me youre right!! Were do I go to join?? ......I,ll bring the whole
family over from Warsaw!!

Miroslaw Czovinski

Old October 9th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 9 Oct, 19:45, " wrote:
From the union's website today (MY RESPONSE IN UPPER-CASE):-

Unite submitted a London wide claim to all bus operators in March of
this year to challenge the current system whereby drivers (and other
grades) performing identical jobs within the TfL regulated industry,
receive hugely varying pay and conditions.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD: DIFFERENT PEOPLE DOING THE SAME JOB IN
DIFFERENT COMPANIES GET PAID DIFFERENTLY. GET REAL AND GET OVER IT

Sounds a simple fix, obviously the job can be done at the lowest end
of the scale, so reduce wages by upto £6k

Unite is calling for a single rate of pay for drivers of 30,000 a
year, based on a 38 hour week. Currently the 18 London bus companies
all operate with different pay structures, with pay inequalities of up
to 6,000 a year.

Perhaps some drivers are better than others? They can't all be
incompetent dangerous idiots

30,000 A YEAR!!!! *I WENT TO UNIVERSITY FOR 4 YEARS, AND DID 2 YEARS'
TRAINING AFTER THAT, AND 20 YEARS LATER I STILL DON'T GET THAT MUCH!

£30k isn't that high a wage for a professional in london I wouldn't
count a bus driver as a professional

WHAT'S "STARTLING" ABOUT PAY DISPARITY? OKAY, LET'S EQUALISE
EVERYTHING DOWN TO THE LOWEST CURRENT PAY AVAILABLE.

Indeed

"Not only is this potentially unsafe, it is unfair to have bus workers
across London doing the same job for less money or having to put in
much longer hours.

WHAT IS "UNSAFE" ABOUT SOME DRIVERS EARNING MORE THAN OTHERS? OR DO
SOME DRIVERS ONLY BECOME "SAFE" WHEN EARNING OVER 30,000P.A.?

It is unsafe to do longer hours. I propose cancelling overtime.

"Our members will continue to strike

Yeay, safer roads!

and engages in serious discussions for equal pay for all London bus
workers."

Oh, it's changed. Not just equal pay for drivers, but drivers should
be paid the same as cleaners.

Old October 9th 08, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

30,000 A YEAR!!!! *I WENT TO UNIVERSITY FOR 4 YEARS, AND DID 2 YEARS'
TRAINING AFTER THAT, AND 20 YEARS LATER I STILL DON'T GET THAT MUCH!

No wonder you are so angry.
Old October 9th 08, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 9 Oct, 20:10, " wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:05 pm, "4sub" wrote:
Sounds like you need to drive a bus and earn real money.

Yes, I'd be GLAD to work for 38 hours a week and get up to 30,000,
regular hours, no "homework", paid holidays, free travel, pension,
free uniform etc, etc. *Sounds like a real cushy number - pity the
striking "drivers" don't think so.

Feel free to take a PSV test. Free uniform is hardly a perk, having to
wear a uniform is a major disadvantage -- it'd be worse than having to
wear a suit!

Paid holidays are quite normal for people on continuing contracts.