Old October 13th 08, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default thameslinkprogramme.co.uk

First Capital Connect have a new website all about the Thameslink
Programme that might be worth keeping an eye on. The main item of
interest so far is a picture of an Electrostar under construction in
First Capital Connect colours:

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...s_items/view/6

Old October 13th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
First Capital Connect have a new website all about the Thameslink
Programme that might be worth keeping an eye on. The main item of
interest so far is a picture of an Electrostar under construction in
First Capital Connect colours:

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...s_items/view/6

I'd sign up for updates but I can't find the privacy policy on the site and
I'm supposed to agree I've read it before I sign up!

Old October 13th 08, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Graham Harrison wrote:

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
First Capital Connect have a new website all about the Thameslink
Programme that might be worth keeping an eye on. The main item of
interest so far is a picture of an Electrostar under construction in
First Capital Connect colours:

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...s_items/view/6

I'd sign up for updates but I can't find the privacy policy on the site
and I'm supposed to agree I've read it before I sign up!

Alternatively, you could monitor the "Latest news" page with the aid of
http://page2rss.com/.

JP
Old October 13th 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Graham Harrison wrote:

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
First Capital Connect have a new website all about the Thameslink
Programme that might be worth keeping an eye on. The main item of
interest so far is a picture of an Electrostar under construction in
First Capital Connect colours:

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...s_items/view/6

I'd sign up for updates but I can't find the privacy policy on the site
and I'm supposed to agree I've read it before I sign up!

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...ges/view/24/25

I put privacy in the search box. Not a great solution, mind you.

Old October 13th 08, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Dave Newt" wrote in message

Graham Harrison wrote:

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
First Capital Connect have a new website all about the Thameslink
Programme that might be worth keeping an eye on. The main item of
interest so far is a picture of an Electrostar under construction in
First Capital Connect colours:

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...s_items/view/6

I'd sign up for updates but I can't find the privacy policy on the site
and I'm supposed to agree I've read it before I sign up!

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...ges/view/24/25

I put privacy in the search box. Not a great solution, mind you.

A good solution (and thank you) but I'd rather they had a proper link to it.

Old October 13th 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mr Thant) wrote:

First Capital Connect have a new website all about the Thameslink
Programme that might be worth keeping an eye on. The main item of
interest so far is a picture of an Electrostar under construction in
First Capital Connect colours:

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk...s_items/view/6

Anyone know anything about the suggestion that the new trains will be in
fixed 8 or 12 car formations so precluding through trains to King's Lynn
after 2015?

They seem to have been talking to TfL and thinking of the cost of cabs in
the middle of trains.

Mind you, the web site doesn't mention the GN connection at all.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 13th 08, 11:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 Oct, 00:35, wrote:
Anyone know anything about the suggestion that the new trains will be in
fixed 8 or 12 car formations so precluding through trains to King's Lynn
after 2015?

No, four car equivalent units are required by the spec. They don't
actually have to be four cars, but they have to be that length. The
"8 and 12 car trains on order" is them talking down to the public.

It's highly unlikely there'll be TL trains to King's Lynn, due to its
ongoing reworking as a high-ish frequency inner suburban service. 5
car Intercity Express trains (equivalent to 6 cars in length) have
been suggested for King's Lynn/Cambridge, running to King's Cross.

Mind you, the web site doesn't mention the GN connection at all.

Yes it does - it's on the maps and there's even a FAQ question about
why they're not using it yet. Although nothing about when it'll open
and what the destinations will be.

Old October 14th 08, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 14, 12:49 am, Mr Thant
wrote:

No, four car equivalent units are required by the spec. They don't
actually have to be four cars, but they have to be that length. The
"8 and 12 car trains on order" is them talking down to the public.

While that may or may not be in the spec I do not know having not read
it in that detail, there is however a very serious rumour from well
placed informed sources that fixed formation trains of 12 cars are
under consideration for NGEMU.

I do not know any more than heard it from a respected source.

My guess - and I am pure speculating - that to meet the weight
specification one or more maker (but I have one in particular in mind)
might be offering - or at least someone is suggesting - articulation.
While artics in any length above one car are obviously possible, the
longer the artic set is the more weight saving it offers, and there
are less bogies to build and maintain. That would appeal to DfT where
the bean counting mandarins will be looking at every penny costs.
12car of 6+6 half sets not divisibale except at dep[ot , each half
with 7 bogies, end bogies trailer, 5 intermediate power bogies is one
way to do fixed fromation 12-car trains.

Or simply 6car sets.

I have wodered in the past if reallly 4/8/12 car trains is the way to
go with TL. By the time we get to year 2012, 2015 etc, I suspect there
is going to be little demand for 4 car trains at any time of the day
incl. weekends and night , bearing in mind air passenger traffic to
both LTN and LGW.

6cars might be the obvious ''small'' train to operate.

Yes it does - it's on the maps and there's even a FAQ question about
why they're not using it yet. Although nothing about when it'll open
and what the destinations will be.

But , as has been pointed out elsewhere, the maps on that site are out
of date, as is some of the info.

Post 12/2015 it seems to be everyone elses understanding that
Wimbledon / Sutton loop is being disconnected from Thameslink because
there is no 12car platform upgrade on those parts of the network. Yet
the TL-program web site still shows it included post 2015.

I have fired off a query to them about this ....... will report as and
when.

--
Nick