London Banter

-   -   New Eurostar line from Waterloo (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/724-new-eurostar-line-waterloo.html)

Roger the cabin boy September 16th 03 09:31 AM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

I gather the new service using the new line (dont know where it actually
starts or ends) will commence on 28th Sept.

Does anyone knoiw if ALL the Eurostar sevices will be using this from day or
will there only be a few trains using it to begin with?

Thanks

Martin Summerfield September 16th 03 10:30 AM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

In message , Roger the cabin
boy writes
I gather the new service using the new line (dont know where it actually
starts or ends) will commence on 28th Sept.

Does anyone knoiw if ALL the Eurostar sevices will be using this from day or
will there only be a few trains using it to begin with?

Thanks

All services
--
Martin Summerfield

Joe Patrick September 16th 03 07:59 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

I gather the new service using the new line (dont know where it actually
starts or ends) will commence on 28th Sept.

Does anyone knoiw if ALL the Eurostar sevices will be using this from day

or
will there only be a few trains using it to begin with?

Thanks

All services

From this month all services will use Section 1 (which connects at some
Junction) IIRC Fawkham Junction?? Which runs from there to the Channel
Tunnel, and from 2007 most services will operate from St Pancras. Services
will still operate from waterloo, but to a much lesser extent Than now.
off to watch A Life of Grime...
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For the Latest News, Information and Photos check out

Stevie September 16th 03 09:35 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

Joe Patrick wrote:

From this month all services will use Section 1 (which connects at some
Junction) IIRC Fawkham Junction?? Which runs from there to the Channel
Tunnel, and from 2007 most services will operate from St Pancras. Services
will still operate from waterloo, but to a much lesser extent Than now.
off to watch A Life of Grime...

Will that be timetabled trains still going to Waterloo or just one-off
occasions when there might be a problem between Fawkham and St Pancras?
It seems a bit strange that after they spend the billions of pounds on
the nice shiny new route and enlarging St Pancras they then carry on
using Waterloo.

Jack Taylor September 16th 03 10:39 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

"Stevie" wrote in message
.. .

Will that be timetabled trains still going to Waterloo or just one-off
occasions when there might be a problem between Fawkham and St Pancras?
It seems a bit strange that after they spend the billions of pounds on
the nice shiny new route and enlarging St Pancras they then carry on
using Waterloo.

The majority of services will use St Pancras but there will still be
regular, timetabled services into/out of Waterloo. Not everyone lives north
of the river!

PhilD September 17th 03 07:23 AM

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message k...
The majority of services will use St Pancras but there will still be
regular, timetabled services into/out of Waterloo. Not everyone lives north
of the river!

Also, it's useful to keep driver knowledge of a diversionary route.

PhilD

Da Man September 17th 03 01:51 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

The majority of services will use St Pancras but there will still be
regular, timetabled services into/out of Waterloo. Not everyone lives

north
of the river!

So I suppose that Waterloo and St Pancras are goin to be like Heathrow and
Gatwick for international services as such. If I was a visitor to the
country I would muchprefer it if all the international trains ran from the
on station. That way if you need to travel at short notice you can just turn
up at the terminal and book a ticket. With services from Waterloo and St
Pancras you will have to check timetables to see what station you need to be
at.

If they are going to keep the two international stations then I suggest that
maybe Brussels goes from one and Paris from the other. Just a
suggestion.....

Ed Crowley September 17th 03 02:49 PM

"Da Man" wrote in message
[...]

I personally think that your suggestion would be more confusing and
inconvenient. I live south of the river and it already takes me 30 minutes
to get to Waterloo. I'd rather not spend another 30 minutes getting to St.
Pancras.

Da Man September 17th 03 02:59 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

I personally think that your suggestion would be more confusing and
inconvenient. I live south of the river and it already takes me 30

minutes
to get to Waterloo. I'd rather not spend another 30 minutes getting to

St.
Pancras.

Is that not what Ashford is for?

Ed Crowley September 17th 03 03:25 PM

"Da Man" wrote in message
I personally think that your suggestion would be more confusing and
inconvenient. I live south of the river and it already takes me 30

minutes
to get to Waterloo. I'd rather not spend another 30 minutes getting to

St.
Pancras.

Is that not what Ashford is for?

No. Ashford is for people who live in Kent, not South Londoners at the
mercy of the Tube.

Jack Taylor September 17th 03 03:30 PM

"Da Man" wrote in message
I personally think that your suggestion would be more confusing and
inconvenient. I live south of the river and it already takes me 30

minutes
to get to Waterloo. I'd rather not spend another 30 minutes getting to

St.
Pancras.

Is that not what Ashford is for?

Not much use if you live in South West London, Surrey, Hampshire or
Berkshire. Why would you want to take a slow domestic service to Ashford to
join E*?

Stevie September 17th 03 06:34 PM

Ed Crowley wrote:

I personally think that your suggestion would be more confusing and
inconvenient. I live south of the river and it already takes me 30 minutes
to get to Waterloo. I'd rather not spend another 30 minutes getting to St.
Pancras.

Well everyone north of the river have had to put up with the cross
london journey to get to Waterloo for the last 10 years.

And the St Pancras route will be 20 mins quicker to Ashford than from
Waterloo.

Actually, I suspect the decision to keep both Waterloo and St Pancras
open was made just so that the SRA, or whoever runs the railways these
days, can make a big point of London having *two* International Train
stations...

Stuart September 17th 03 07:42 PM

Stevie wrote:
It seems a bit strange that after they spend the billions of pounds on
the nice shiny new route and enlarging St Pancras they then carry on
using Waterloo.

Mind you, it would seem strange after the millions of pounds building a
lovely international terminal at Waterloo not to use it

Stephen O'Connell September 17th 03 09:50 PM

Stuart wrote:
Stevie wrote:
It seems a bit strange that after they spend the billions of pounds on
the nice shiny new route and enlarging St Pancras they then carry on
using Waterloo.

Mind you, it would seem strange after the millions of pounds building a
lovely international terminal at Waterloo not to use it

Yeah and think of the fun we've all had at having French visitors to the UK
arriving in London at a station called Waterloo! St.Pancras just doesn't
have the same er....ring to it, does it? :-)

Robin May September 18th 03 01:00 AM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

"Stephen O'Connell" wrote the
following in:

Stuart wrote:
Stevie wrote:
It seems a bit strange that after they spend the billions of
pounds on
the nice shiny new route and enlarging St Pancras they then
carry on using Waterloo.

Mind you, it would seem strange after the millions of pounds
building a lovely international terminal at Waterloo not to use
it

Yeah and think of the fun we've all had at having French visitors
to the UK arriving in London at a station called Waterloo!
St.Pancras just doesn't have the same er....ring to it, does it?
:-)

It's always reminded me of the organ which is defective in diabetics.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
If bathroom means toilet in America, I'll have a shower please.

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.

Matthew Malthouse September 18th 03 08:18 AM

}
} Mind you, it would seem strange after the millions of pounds building a
} lovely international terminal at Waterloo not to use it

When Waterloo International was built it was planned to be temporary.
ISTR that after the completion of the "real" international station the
platforms at Waterloo would be used for domestic services - they are at
the same level as the older platforms.

If international services persisted from Waterloo then presumably they
would have to retain the segregation for immigration control. That
seems an expensive option given both how much space could be put to
other purposes and the duplication with St Pancras.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.

Ed Crowley September 18th 03 08:41 AM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

"Stevie" wrote in message
.. .
Ed Crowley wrote:

I personally think that your suggestion would be more confusing and
inconvenient. I live south of the river and it already takes me 30

minutes
to get to Waterloo. I'd rather not spend another 30 minutes getting to

St.
Pancras.

Well everyone north of the river have had to put up with the cross
london journey to get to Waterloo for the last 10 years.

So your logic is to inconvenience South Londoners because North Londoners
have been in the past? Surely it's better to provide a convenient terminal
both sides of the river, given that cross-London interchanges are such a
pain in the arse (especially with luggage).

And the St Pancras route will be 20 mins quicker to Ashford than from
Waterloo.

Not if you live in South London with a 30 minute Tube journey added on!

Actually, I suspect the decision to keep both Waterloo and St Pancras
open was made just so that the SRA, or whoever runs the railways these
days, can make a big point of London having *two* International Train
stations...

I think it's to get value out of the existing Waterloo terminal, provide
another convenient interchange and to provide a backup in case of a problem
at St. Pancras.

John Rowland September 18th 03 10:52 AM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

"Stevie" wrote in message
.. .

Actually, I suspect the decision to keep both Waterloo
and St Pancras open was made just so that the SRA,
or whoever runs the railways these days, can make
a big point of London having *two* International Train
stations...

Three (Stratford).

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Mike Bristow September 19th 03 06:22 AM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

In article ,
Stevie wrote:
days, can make a big point of London having *two* International Train
stations...

Three. Or is Newham not London?

--
Good night little fishey-wishes.... I've counted you, so no
sneaky eating each other.

Jason Hobbs King September 19th 03 03:39 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:22:06 +0000 (UTC), Mike Bristow
wrote:

In article ,
Stevie wrote:
days, can make a big point of London having *two* International Train
stations...

Three. Or is Newham not London?

Are you asking if the London Borough of Newham is in London?

Cheers,

Jason.

Gordon Joly September 24th 03 09:32 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:
"Stevie" wrote in message
. ..

Actually, I suspect the decision to keep both Waterloo
and St Pancras open was made just so that the SRA,
or whoever runs the railways these days, can make
a big point of London having *two* International Train
stations...

Three (Stratford).

Very handy (for me, in London E14:-)

And also for the Olympics??

Gordo

--
This is not my sig nature....
gordo AT loop zilla.org......

Paul Scott September 25th 03 03:59 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

or whoever runs the railways these days, can make
a big point of London having *two* International Train
stations...

Three (Stratford).

--

I have never seen a convincing argument for building the London terminus at
St Pancras. Its as if the French end of the route terminated somewherein

Paul

John Youles September 25th 03 04:31 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:59:33 +0000 (UTC) in uk.transport.london, "Paul Scott"
tapped out on the keyboard:

I have never seen a convincing argument for building the London terminus at
St Pancras. Its as if the French end of the route terminated somewherein
South East Paris. The trains should surely have passed through Stratford on
their way to the North East or North West, or terminated at Stratford as
applicable.

It's a great pity that a great joint mainline station was never built in London,
enabling interchange between all inter-city routes. But, St Pancras is next to
Kings Cross and close to Euston (perhaps a travolator will be built) so is
convenient for most routes north of London, and Stratford is convenient for East
Anglia. Connections for the west are dire however.

I find it odd that Crossrail will not serve Kings Cross / St Pancras.

--
John Youles Norwich England UK
j dot y.o.u.l.e.s at n.t.l.w.o.r.l.d dot c.o.m

Dr John Stockton September 25th 03 10:44 PM

New Eurostar line from Waterloo

JRS: In article , seen in
news:uk.transport.london, John Youles mines.a.pint@localhost.? posted
at Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:31:15 :-

It's a great pity that a great joint mainline station was never built in London,
enabling interchange between all inter-city routes. But, St Pancras is next to
Kings Cross and close to Euston (perhaps a travolator will be built) so is
convenient for most routes north of London, and Stratford is convenient for East
Anglia. Connections for the west are dire however.

Build a four-or-more track main-line full-gauge railway, in at least two
bores, on a roughly circular route of two or three kilometres radius
centred on Nelson's Column, and at such a depth as to miss artificial
obstructions.

Join it to each major radial route with grade-separated junctions for
all directions, as if it were a motorway; but in some cases at least
allow direct access to at least 2 tracks in each direction round the
ring.

Use additional tracks where stations are needed, and there give
escalator / travelator / lift access to Underground stations and to the
surface.

Pay for it by selling off about half of each existing mail-line
terminus, which will no longer be needed.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

In MS OE, choose Tools, Options, Send; select Plain Text for News and E-mail.