London Banter

-   -   Way to Go (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7255-way-go.html)

Paul Corfield November 5th 08 05:02 PM

Way to Go

Launched today by the Mayor of London is this initial consultation
document on the likely direction and principles to be used in the
updated Mayoral Transport Strategy.

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/publi.../way-to-go.pdf

Press release here

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_...eleaseid=19568

I'll resist the temptation to comment further and leave it to those who
are interested to respond.

[x posted to utl]

--
Paul C

TimB November 5th 08 06:07 PM

Way to Go

'Rephrasing traffic lights' - interesting idea. Maybe as 'illuminated
vehicle flow controllers'?

John Rowland November 6th 08 10:20 AM

Way to Go

Paul Corfield wrote:
Launched today by the Mayor of London is this initial consultation
document on the likely direction and principles to be used in the
updated Mayoral Transport Strategy.

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/publi.../way-to-go.pdf

Good Lord, it appears to show white men who are neither evading their fares
nor working as rapist minicab drivers. If this can really happen, the
previous mayor kept it pretty quiet!

Tom Barry November 6th 08 11:14 AM

Way to Go

John Rowland wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
Launched today by the Mayor of London is this initial consultation
document on the likely direction and principles to be used in the
updated Mayoral Transport Strategy.

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/publi.../way-to-go.pdf

Good Lord, it appears to show white men who are neither evading their fares
nor working as rapist minicab drivers. If this can really happen, the
previous mayor kept it pretty quiet!

Well, that's good. As long as white men aren't being victimised, the
fact that the brochure is unutterable horse***** doesn't matter, eh?
Welcome to four wasted years.

Faugh. Tchah.

Tom

* Boris, to the TfL Board, slightly paraphrased - 'the car is the single
biggest contributor to female emancipation'. Hello? You're not a
rightwing journalist any more, mate.

Neill November 6th 08 01:17 PM

Way to Go

On Nov 6, 12:14*pm, Tom Barry wrote:
John Rowland wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
Launched today by the Mayor of London is this initial consultation
document on the likely direction and principles to be used in the
updated Mayoral Transport Strategy.

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/publi.../way-to-go.pdf

Good Lord, it appears to show white men who are neither evading their fares
nor working as rapist minicab drivers. If this can really happen, the
previous mayor kept it pretty quiet!

Well, that's good. *As long as white men aren't being victimised, the
fact that the brochure is unutterable horse***** doesn't matter, eh?
Welcome to four wasted years.

Faugh. *Tchah.

Tom

* Boris, to the TfL Board, slightly paraphrased - 'the car is the single
* biggest contributor to female emancipation'. *Hello? *You're not a
rightwing journalist any more, mate.

The sun is shining and you can't see any of those nasty leftwing
troublemakers who'll be sacked now. The picture is pretty accurate,
'cos bike and expensive taxi will be the only way to get around when
all the strikes those job cuts will spawn come along. Unless you have
a 4x4 of course, as they don't cause congestion according to Boris.

Neill

Neil Williams November 6th 08 02:04 PM

Way to Go

On 6 Nov, 14:17, Neill wrote:

The sun is shining and you can't see any of those nasty leftwing
troublemakers who'll be sacked now. The picture is pretty accurate,
'cos bike and expensive taxi will be the only way to get around when
all the strikes those job cuts will spawn come along. Unless you have
a 4x4 of course, as they don't cause congestion according to Boris.

It is a fact that a 4x4 causes no more of a traffic jam than a
normally-sized car. A Land Rover Defender SWB, for instance, is as I
recall shorter and narrower then a Vauxhall Corsa.

There is an argument for a pollution charge to be made against such
vehicles (and also against large-engined sports cars, whatever their
physical size), but it is then not a *Congestion* Charge, it is a
*Pollution* charge. These are two different things, and I think Boris
is being quite honest in making this clear.

Neil

Tim Woodall November 6th 08 02:20 PM

Way to Go

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 07:04:18 -0800 (PST),
Neil Williams wrote:
On 6 Nov, 14:17, Neill wrote:

The sun is shining and you can't see any of those nasty leftwing
troublemakers who'll be sacked now. The picture is pretty accurate,
'cos bike and expensive taxi will be the only way to get around when
all the strikes those job cuts will spawn come along. Unless you have
a 4x4 of course, as they don't cause congestion according to Boris.

It is a fact that a 4x4 causes no more of a traffic jam than a
normally-sized car. A Land Rover Defender SWB, for instance, is as I
recall shorter and narrower then a Vauxhall Corsa.

This doesn't necessarily follow. A 4x4 waiting to turn R out of a
junction onto a main road can block traffic wanting to turn L out of the
same road because they cannot see around or through or over the bonnet
of the larger car.

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/

[email protected] November 6th 08 02:32 PM

Way to Go

On 6 Nov, 15:04, Neil Williams wrote:

It is a fact that a 4x4 causes no more of a traffic jam than a
normally-sized car. *A Land Rover Defender SWB, for instance, is as I
recall shorter and narrower then a Vauxhall Corsa.

Unfortunately a Land Rover Defender SWB is not representative of the
4x4 vehicles you see on the streets of London. Most 4x4 vehicles,
people carriers and other similar vehicles are that bit wider, longer
and higher and make a significant difference to other road users -
when parking, turning out of junctions, trying to move around in
queues, passing on narrow roads with parked cars. The other frequent
problem with these* is tinted windows that are too dark to see through
properly, so you can't make eye contact and you can't see through to
the other end/side.

* I know it's not only these types of vehicle that get tinted windows,
but it seems more likely - so that you can't see the little darlings
in the back, or can't see the £10,000 Rolex on the driver's wrist
(stereotypical but fairly tru-ish example reasons)

Adrian November 6th 08 02:45 PM

Way to Go

gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The other frequent problem with these* is tinted windows that are too
dark to see through properly, so you can't make eye contact and you
can't see through to the other end/side.

There ought to be a law against front windows being darker than, ooh,
about 70% VLT...

If TPTB were really serious about it, they could enforce it by giving
plod cool little hand-held light transmission doofers, so that if they
suspect somebody's got windows too dark they can serve a vehicle
prohibition notice and get it off the road until the tint's been removed.

They could even put legislation in place that the installer of the tint
or seller of the vehicle could be prosecuted.

Nah, it'll never happen.

Oh, wait, what was that? Damn near five years ago?
http://www.window-tinting.net/thelaw.html

Neil Williams November 6th 08 03:35 PM

Way to Go

On 6 Nov, 15:20, Tim Woodall wrote:

This doesn't necessarily follow. A 4x4 waiting to turn R out of a
junction onto a main road can block traffic wanting to turn L out of the
same road because they cannot see around or through or over the bonnet
of the larger car.

In which case it is only fair to charge MPVs and vans etc (including
electric vehicles) the same amount

Neil

Tom Anderson November 6th 08 04:13 PM

Way to Go

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, Paul Corfield wrote:

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/publi.../way-to-go.pdf

I'll resist the temptation to comment further and leave it to those who
are interested to respond.

The public realm stuff - getting rid of fences, poles, and other things
which get in the way of pedestrians - sounds good. The anti-bendy bigotry
less so.

What's this about a tunnel under Park Lane?

tom

--
Thinking about it, history begins now -- sarah

Charles Ellson November 6th 08 08:22 PM

Way to Go

Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The other frequent problem with these* is tinted windows that are too
dark to see through properly, so you can't make eye contact and you
can't see through to the other end/side.

There ought to be a law against front windows being darker than, ooh,
about 70% VLT...

If TPTB were really serious about it, they could enforce it by giving
plod cool little hand-held light transmission doofers, so that if they
suspect somebody's got windows too dark they can serve a vehicle
prohibition notice and get it off the road until the tint's been removed.

They could even put legislation in place that the installer of the tint
or seller of the vehicle could be prosecuted.

Nah, it'll never happen.

Oh, wait, what was that? Damn near five years ago?
http://www.window-tinting.net/thelaw.html

At least 23 years ago and possibly well before that :-

"Tinted Windows
[......]
For motor vehicles first registered before 1 April 1985 the windscreen
and front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be
transmitted through them.
[.......]"
[VOSA press release 21 Sep 2004 - VOSA now have powers to stop motorists]

Chris Read November 6th 08 10:58 PM

Way to Go

Excellent idea to remove roadside barriers and unnecessary street furniture.
I look forward to crossing Mansion House junction at street level without
the risk of being pinned against a metal barrier by an HGV/PCV. Likewise the
roads in the vicinity of Victoria station, which are a disgrace for
pedestrians heading in the Westminster direction. I would advocate this idea
is taken further, with road markings removed from non-trunk roads, where
possible.

Disappointed to see the document (or a summary thereof) will still be
translated into a multitude of different languages - or 'your language' as
it says. If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Chris

Chris Tolley November 7th 08 09:37 AM

Way to Go

Chris Read wrote:

If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Nac adrodd a glywaist rhag ei fod yn gelwyddog!
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12198540.html
(57 010 at Sytch Lane (Slindon), 31 Jan 2005)

disgoftunwells November 7th 08 10:27 AM

Way to Go

On 6 Nov, 15:32, wrote:
On 6 Nov, 15:04, Neil *Williams wrote:

It is a fact that a 4x4 causes no more of a traffic jam than a
normally-sized car. *A Land Rover Defender SWB, for instance, is as I
recall shorter and narrower then a Vauxhall Corsa.

Unfortunately a Land Rover Defender SWB is not representative of the
4x4 vehicles you see on the streets of London. Most 4x4 vehicles,
people carriers and other similar vehicles are that bit wider, longer
and higher and make a significant difference to other road users -
when parking, turning out of junctions, trying to move around in
queues, passing on narrow roads with parked cars. The other frequent
problem with these* is tinted windows that are too dark to see through
properly, so you can't make eye contact and you can't see through to
the other end/side.

And for cyclists, you can't easily see over these cars to anticipate
what's coming ahead.

Adrian November 7th 08 10:29 AM

Way to Go

disgoftunwells gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

And for cyclists, you can't easily see over these cars to anticipate
what's coming ahead.

Perhaps you shouldn't be sat so close behind them? I mean, it's not as if
vans/trucks/buses are any easier to see through/round/over than an SUV,
is it?

RobWilton November 7th 08 10:53 AM

Way to Go

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
Launched today by the Mayor of London is this initial consultation
document on the likely direction and principles to be used in the
updated Mayoral Transport Strategy.

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/publi.../way-to-go.pdf

Press release here

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_...eleaseid=19568

I'll resist the temptation to comment further and leave it to those who
are interested to respond.

No one seems to mention the horse any more surely we should be encouraging
the building of stables everywhere so that commuters could rent nags by the
hour or daily,the manure which is dropped could be used to fertilise organic
allotments & think of all the fun you could have dashing about town,I can,t
wait to buy a tricorn hat and breeches Tallyho!!

Tom Anderson November 7th 08 11:51 AM

Way to Go

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, RobWilton wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
Launched today by the Mayor of London is this initial consultation
document on the likely direction and principles to be used in the
updated Mayoral Transport Strategy.

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/publi.../way-to-go.pdf

Press release here

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_...eleaseid=19568

I'll resist the temptation to comment further and leave it to those who
are interested to respond.

No one seems to mention the horse any more surely we should be
encouraging the building of stables everywhere so that commuters could
rent nags by the hour or daily,the manure which is dropped could be used
to fertilise organic allotments & think of all the fun you could have
dashing about town,I can,t wait to buy a tricorn hat and breeches
Tallyho!!

You want to come and have a wander or a cycle round Ashburton Grove after
an Arsenal home match to see the flaw with that - just a handful of police
horses leave half the neighbourhood paved in ****.

No, horses are not the future. Space hoppers, on the other hand ...

tom

--
VENN DIAGRAM THAT LOOK LIKE TWO BIG CIRCLES EQUAL BAD PUBLIC POLICY.

Neil Williams November 7th 08 01:25 PM

Way to Go

On 7 Nov, 11:29, Adrian wrote:

Perhaps you shouldn't be sat so close behind them? I mean, it's not as if
vans/trucks/buses are any easier to see through/round/over than an SUV,
is it?

Which is rather my point. If it is the mere size of 4x4s that is the
issue for congestion, not the pollution they may emit (that a small,
low sports car may also do), then this should apply to all vehicles of
that size, even electric vans.

The real objection I have to Ken's latest iteration of the Congestion
Charge is that it became a personal vendetta against the 4x4. Not
against large vehicles, not against polluting vehicles, but
specifically against the 4x4. Personal vendettas in politics are
never good, which is probably why I don't like the idea of mayors
anyway (and why I prefer parliamentary rather than presidential
democracy).

No, incidentally, I do not own a 4x4, and even if I did I wouldn't be
wanting to drive it in London.

Boris is as bad for his personal vendetta against the bendy bus.
There are routes in London where they aren't appropriate, of course,
but there are routes (the 73, the Red Arrows) where they are *very*
appropriate and do the job vastly better than any Routemaster ever
did.

Neil

allan tracy November 7th 08 03:44 PM

Way to Go

It is a fact that a 4x4 causes no more of a traffic jam than a
normally-sized car. *A Land Rover Defender SWB, for instance, is as I
recall shorter and narrower then a Vauxhall Corsa.

You're logic and spatial awareness are impeccable but are they good
enough to consider the case of three moms, on the school run and down
a side road, simultaneously attempting to back into parking spaces all
far too short for them.

Nick Leverton November 7th 08 06:46 PM

Way to Go

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:

You want to come and have a wander or a cycle round Ashburton Grove after
an Arsenal home match to see the flaw with that - just a handful of police
horses leave half the neighbourhood paved in ****.

No, horses are not the future. Space hoppers, on the other hand ...

Policemen on pogo sticks ! This must be tried ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 19th September 2008)

Tom Anderson November 8th 08 12:48 PM

Way to Go

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Nick Leverton wrote:

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:

You want to come and have a wander or a cycle round Ashburton Grove after
an Arsenal home match to see the flaw with that - just a handful of police
horses leave half the neighbourhood paved in ****.

No, horses are not the future. Space hoppers, on the other hand ...

Policemen on pogo sticks ! This must be tried ...

It would be the British equivalent of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNH8XnRg2O0

tom

--
a blood-spattered Canadarm flinging goat carcasses into the void

Dr J R Stockton November 8th 08 01:29 PM

Way to Go

In uk.transport.london message
et, Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:37:05, Chris Tolley posted:
Chris Read wrote:

If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Never bother with anyone whose spelling-checker does not help with the
name of this Realm.

Nac adrodd a glywaist rhag ei fod yn gelwyddog!

Presuming that to be a language, which setting for Google Translate,
Babel Fish, or other do you recommend? I've checked ROT-13. Or is the
idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek it into the
Great World Outside? g

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) November 8th 08 03:35 PM

Way to Go

Chris Read wrote:

If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Never bother with anyone whose spelling-checker does not help with the
name of this Realm.

Nac adrodd a glywaist rhag ei fod yn gelwyddog!

Presuming that to be a language, which setting for Google Translate,
Babel Fish, or other do you recommend? I've checked ROT-13. Or is the
idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek it into the
Great World Outside? g

An online literal Welsh-English website comes up with
"Nor recite I go you heard he foreknows you go be lyingly"
I prefer the original BabelFish version (which translates everything
into Japanese first before translating that into the required language)
"My hovercraft is full of eels"
RDH
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK

Chris Tolley November 8th 08 04:17 PM

Way to Go

Chris Read wrote:

If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Never bother with anyone whose spelling-checker does not help with the
name of this Realm.

Nac adrodd a glywaist rhag ei fod yn gelwyddog!

Presuming that to be a language,

It is.

which setting for Google Translate,
Babel Fish, or other do you recommend?

Good grief. None of them.

I've checked ROT-13.

Interesting strategy. ;-)

Or is the idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek
it into the Great World Outside? g

The lingo I used is the modern expression of the ancient (i.e. before
the Romans) language of these islands, otherwise known as Welsh. The
message encrypted in those unfamiliar words is in response to the
suggestion that residents of the UK speak but English, and translates
roughly as "be careful repeating what you have been told, in case it is
wrong".

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632810.html
(31 319 and 31 294 at Oxford, 2 Jun 1985)

Chris Tolley November 8th 08 04:35 PM

Way to Go

Chris Read wrote:

If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

Never bother with anyone whose spelling-checker does not help with the
name of this Realm.

Nac adrodd a glywaist rhag ei fod yn gelwyddog!

Presuming that to be a language, which setting for Google Translate,
Babel Fish, or other do you recommend? I've checked ROT-13. Or is the
idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek it into the
Great World Outside? g

An online literal Welsh-English website comes up with
"Nor recite I go you heard he foreknows you go be lyingly"

ROFL!!! That's exactly the kind of thing the phrase refers to!!!

I prefer the original BabelFish version (which translates everything
into Japanese first before translating that into the required language)
"My hovercraft is full of eels"

In Welsh, BabelFish would be "Pysgod Terfysg" but if offered that phrase
in Welsh, I'd assume the speaker was trying to say "fighting fish", and
just got a bit confused with the right word for fighting, since there
are (for no reason I'm going to comment on) a range of suitable words to
choose from to cover that concept.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683658.html
(53939 (Class 108) at Derby, Jun 1985)

Roland Perry November 9th 08 05:48 AM

Way to Go

In message , at
13:48:14 on Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Policemen on pogo sticks ! This must be tried ...

It would be the British equivalent of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNH8XnRg2O0

They have those at Schiphol airport. Why the manufacturers think it
makes officers "more approachable", I have no idea. (At Schiphol they
seem to select especially tall officers, and then add the several extra
inches of height. You would end up talking to their navel).

Neil Williams November 9th 08 01:13 PM

Way to Go

On 7 Nov, 16:44, allan tracy wrote:

You're logic and spatial awareness are impeccable but are they good
enough to consider the case of three moms, on the school run and down
a side road, simultaneously attempting to back into parking spaces all
far too short for them.

What has that got to do with congestion in Central London? (Though I
do believe we should go to an American system of school buses, and
parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars to
schools).

Neil

Dr J R Stockton November 9th 08 03:49 PM

Way to Go

In uk.transport.london message
et, Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:17:03, Chris Tolley posted:

Or is the idea that you have something to say but don't want to leek
it into the Great World Outside? g

The lingo I used is the modern expression of the ancient (i.e. before
the Romans) language of these islands, otherwise known as Welsh.

The indication that I had realised that it was Welsh was evidently too
subtle for you.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

Stimpy November 10th 08 06:59 AM

Way to Go

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 14:13:06 +0000, Neil Williams wrote
On 7 Nov, 16:44, allan tracy wrote:

You're logic and spatial awareness are impeccable but are they good
enough to consider the case of three moms, on the school run and down
a side road, simultaneously attempting to back into parking spaces all
far too short for them.

What has that got to do with congestion in Central London? (Though I
do believe we should go to an American system of school buses, and
parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars to
schools).

What about those who don't live on a school bus route?

What about kids driving themselves to school?

Roland Perry November 10th 08 08:47 AM

Way to Go

In message k, at
07:59:55 on Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Stimpy remarked:
I do believe we should go to an American system of school buses, and
parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars to
schools).

What about those who don't live on a school bus route?

School bus routes are remarkably pervasive.

What about kids driving themselves to school?

American schools generally have sufficiently large car parks that
parking's not a problem. As for traffic, I think that High School hours
are usually somewhat after the morning rush hour (normal businesses open
at 8am, of course).

David Cantrell November 10th 08 01:03 PM

Way to Go

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 08:44:10AM -0800, allan tracy wrote:
It is a fact that a 4x4 causes no more of a traffic jam than a
normally-sized car. =A0A Land Rover Defender SWB, for instance, is as I
recall shorter and narrower then a Vauxhall Corsa.

You're logic and spatial awareness are impeccable but are they good
enough to consider the case of three moms, on the school run and down
a side road, simultaneously attempting to back into parking spaces all
far too short for them.

So are you saying that mothers shouldn't be allowed to drive Corsas? Or
that people who don't know how to park shouldn't be allowed to drive?

If the former, what do you have against mothers (and Corsas)? If the
latter, what does this have to do specifically with 4x4s, Land Rovers,
Corsas, or the Mayor of London's powers?

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

Lesbian bigots try to put finger in linguistic dyke:

David Cantrell November 10th 08 01:06 PM

Way to Go

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 11:58:23PM -0000, Chris Read wrote:

Disappointed to see the document (or a summary thereof) will still be
translated into a multitude of different languages - or 'your language' as
it says. If you're resident in the United Kingdon, 'your language' is
English.

No, my neighbour's language is Portuguese, because she's Portuguese.
Hope that helps. Shame that you spoil what would be a good point by
appending such idiocy to it.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

More people are driven insane through religious hysteria than
by drinking alcohol. -- W C Fields

Stimpy November 10th 08 08:52 PM

Way to Go

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:47:48 +0000, Roland Perry wrote
In message k, at
07:59:55 on Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Stimpy remarked:
I do believe we should go to an American system of school buses, and
parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars to
schools).

What about those who don't live on a school bus route?

School bus routes are remarkably pervasive.

What about kids driving themselves to school?

American schools generally have sufficiently large car parks that
parking's not a problem. As for traffic, I think that High School hours
are usually somewhat after the morning rush hour (normal businesses open
at 8am, of course).

I appreciate that but the different situation over here would preclude
exclusively adopting the US model

Roland Perry November 11th 08 06:39 AM

Way to Go

In message k, at
21:52:27 on Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Stimpy remarked:
I do believe we should go to an American system of school buses, and
parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars to
schools).

What about those who don't live on a school bus route?

School bus routes are remarkably pervasive.

What about kids driving themselves to school?

American schools generally have sufficiently large car parks that
parking's not a problem. As for traffic, I think that High School hours
are usually somewhat after the morning rush hour (normal businesses open
at 8am, of course).

I appreciate that but the different situation over here would preclude
exclusively adopting the US model

I agree - if nothing else the UK drivers would not give school buses the
sort of priority they automatically get in the USA, and so the schedules
would be toast. The other issue that people perhaps don't appreciate is
that the US school system is fiercely zoned - if you move house you move
school, even if the original one was still "within reasonable range". So
the school buses have quite tightly defined territories to patrol.

John Rowland November 13th 08 08:19 AM

Way to Go

Roland Perry wrote:
In message k, at
07:59:55 on Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Stimpy
remarked:
I do believe we should go to an American system of school buses,
and parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars
to schools).

What about those who don't live on a school bus route?

School bus routes are remarkably pervasive.

Maybe America doesn't have lots of narrow cul-de-sacs, like England.

Peter Campbell Smith[_2_] November 13th 08 11:29 AM

Way to Go

"John Rowland" wrote in
:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message k, at
07:59:55 on Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Stimpy
remarked:
I do believe we should go to an American system of school buses,
and parents should as a result be prohibited from taking their cars
to schools).

What about those who don't live on a school bus route?

School bus routes are remarkably pervasive.

Maybe America doesn't have lots of narrow cul-de-sacs, like England.

Traditional American road layouts don't have many cul-de-sacs (culs-de-
sac? culs-de-sacs?), but nowadays they tend to have them in residential
developments. I lived at the end of one in California for a few years,
and the school bus just stopped at the end of the road.

The buses don't provide a door-to-door service for every kid, at least
not in towns, but where we lived parents seemed to make an effort
through car-sharing and the like to avoid the syndrome I see here of
each child being individually ferried to school.

Peter CS

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com

Roland Perry November 13th 08 11:38 AM

Way to Go

In message , at 09:19:09 on Thu, 13 Nov 2008,
John Rowland remarked:
What about those who don't live on a school bus route?

School bus routes are remarkably pervasive.

Maybe America doesn't have lots of narrow cul-de-sacs, like England.

The bit I lived in did. But there was one "through route" off of which
all those cul-de-sacs sprang. So if the bus stopped at the junction with
each cul-de-sac it was effective in mopping up all the schoolkids.

The objective isn't to collect every kid from its doorstep, five minutes
walk away is considered satisfactory.

Paul Rigg[_3_] November 13th 08 12:54 PM

Way to Go

We've had them in West Yorkshire for quite a bit now. They were in fact
piloted in Hebden Bridge 2 or 3 yrs ago with some specially built Bluebird
Buses from the USA (by specially built I mean Right Hand Drive!) but they
have now been replaced by Optares,

I believe it has increased the uptake of the buses but there still seem to
be a heck of a lot of big cars around schools at 9am!

There's more at http://www.wymetro.com/BusTravel/MyBus/