London Banter

-   -   Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7259-oyster-payg-heathrow-connect.html)

Matthew Dickinson November 7th 08 04:08 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

According to the latest TfL board minutes, extending PAYG from Hayes &
Harlington to Heathrow Terminals is being studied.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ember-2008.pdf
page 15

Mizter T November 7th 08 05:54 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On 7 Nov, 17:08, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
According to the latest TfL board minutes, extending PAYG from Hayes &
Harlington to Heathrow Terminals is being studied.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...report-novembe...
page 15

Interesting.

"Implementation and launch remains possible by March 2009" they say -
well don't hold your breath, there've been numerous false starts when
it comes to getting the agreement of the TOCs with regards to
accepting Oyster PAYG on rail routes in London, though it seems
they've finally come around to the inevitability of it (indeed a
number now accept PAYG on some routes).

If it were to be accepted on Heathrow Connect, it would be something
of a struggle to ensure that passengers understood it could not be
used on the faster Heathrow Express service!

But in terms of local journeys it would certainly make sense, as
Oyster PAYG can now be used on all FGW services within Greater London
apart from trains to Heathrow.

Paul Corfield November 7th 08 06:00 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:08:15 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

According to the latest TfL board minutes, extending PAYG from Hayes &
Harlington to Heathrow Terminals is being studied.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ember-2008.pdf
page 15

It is scheduled for introduction next year - obviously subject to final
agreement with BAA (as per report). I've seen info saying that it
should have been introduced by now!

--
Paul C

Paul Scott November 7th 08 07:08 PM

wrote:

According to the latest TfL board minutes, extending PAYG from Hayes &
Harlington to Heathrow Terminals is being studied.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ember-2008.pdf
page 15

It is scheduled for introduction next year - obviously subject to final
agreement with BAA (as per report). I've seen info saying that it
should have been introduced by now!

Another 'special zone' like Watford Junction then? Or could they bring
the route into zone 6...

Paul S

Paul Corfield November 7th 08 11:19 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 20:08:01 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

According to the latest TfL board minutes, extending PAYG from Hayes &
Harlington to Heathrow Terminals is being studied.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ember-2008.pdf
page 15

It is scheduled for introduction next year - obviously subject to final
agreement with BAA (as per report). I've seen info saying that it
should have been introduced by now!

Another 'special zone' like Watford Junction then? Or could they bring
the route into zone 6...

I've no idea how it will work conceptually. I would expect it to be
charged at a premium rate and also for there to be a "premium" penalty
in case people fail to validate on entry at Heathrow. Where it get's fun
is how you deal with travel to Terminal 5 where only HEX offers the
service.

--
Paul C

John Salmon[_3_] November 7th 08 11:55 PM

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

According to the latest TfL board minutes, extending PAYG from Hayes &
Harlington to Heathrow Terminals is being studied.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ember-2008.pdf
page 15

It is scheduled for introduction next year - obviously subject to final
agreement with BAA (as per report). I've seen info saying that it
should have been introduced by now!

Another 'special zone' like Watford Junction then? Or could they bring
the route into zone 6...

I've no idea how it will work conceptually. I would expect it to be
charged at a premium rate and also for there to be a "premium" penalty
in case people fail to validate on entry at Heathrow. Where it get's fun
is how you deal with travel to Terminal 5 where only HEX offers the
service.

But inter-terminal journeys are free.

Paul Corfield November 8th 08 09:22 AM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

wrote:

According to the latest TfL board minutes, extending PAYG from Hayes &
Harlington to Heathrow Terminals is being studied.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...ember-2008.pdf
page 15

It is scheduled for introduction next year - obviously subject to final
agreement with BAA (as per report). I've seen info saying that it
should have been introduced by now!

Another 'special zone' like Watford Junction then? Or could they bring
the route into zone 6...

I've no idea how it will work conceptually. I would expect it to be
charged at a premium rate and also for there to be a "premium" penalty
in case people fail to validate on entry at Heathrow. Where it get's fun
is how you deal with travel to Terminal 5 where only HEX offers the
service.

But inter-terminal journeys are free.

I appreciate that is true for HEX / Connect but it isn't for LU. There
are clear implications about explaining the nuances of PAYG validity and
also ensuring validation equipment is properly located with the right
publicity. Employees of the airport will, I am sure, get used to this
quickly. However irregular travellers and tourists may struggle and
thus it is important to get the details of who does what and how
correct. I assume this will be part of the agreement under
consideration.

Am I correct in assuming that HEX and Heathrow Connect fares are
different but that there is still an effective premium for the Hayes to
Heathrow section on Connect services?

I know that it was not an easy task getting LU's ticketing sorted out
for the T5 station where BAA run the station. This just adds to the
complexity and there will be implications for BAA's own operation.
--
Paul C

Barry Salter November 8th 08 01:19 PM

Paul Corfield wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that HEX and Heathrow Connect fares are
different but that there is still an effective premium for the Hayes to
Heathrow section on Connect services?

Yup. Cash fares are presently as follows:

Heathrow Express Standard Single: £16.50
Heathrow Express 1st Class Single: £26.00
Heathrow Express Standard Return: £32.00
Heathrow Express 1st Class Return: £50.00

Tickets can be purchased on board for a £3.00 supplement in Standard,
but for the normal price in 1st.

Heathrow Connect Standard Single: £ 6.90
Heathrow Connect Standard Return: £13.80

NB: Penalty Fares apply between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington, and
the Heathrow Connect website alleges that Oyster PAYG is *not* valid on
Heathrow Connect at all!

Paddington - Hayes & Harlington fares:

Anytime 1st Day Single: £ 6.10
Anytime 1st Day Return: £12.20
Anytime Day Single: £ 4.10
Anytime Day Return: £ 7.50
Off-Peak Day Return: £ 5.00
Oyster Peak Single: £ 3.50
Oyster Off-Peak Single: £ 2.00

Hayes & Harlington - Heathrow:

Anytime Day Single: £ 4.90
Anytime Return: £ 9.80

Cheers,

Barry

Andy November 8th 08 01:34 PM

On Nov 8, 2:19*pm, Barry Salter wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that HEX and Heathrow Connect fares are
different but that there is still an effective premium for the Hayes to
Heathrow section on Connect services?

Yup. Cash fares are presently as follows:

* Heathrow Express Standard Single: £16.50
Heathrow Express 1st Class Single: £26.00
* Heathrow Express Standard Return: £32.00
Heathrow Express 1st Class Return: £50.00

Tickets can be purchased on board for a £3.00 supplement in Standard,
but for the normal price in 1st.

Heathrow Connect Standard Single: £ 6.90
Heathrow Connect Standard Return: £13.80

NB: Penalty Fares apply between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington, and
the Heathrow Connect website alleges that Oyster PAYG is *not* valid on
Heathrow Connect at all!

Is that just an out of date website? The Oystercard website shows
Oyster as valid from West Drayton - Paddington and the Hayes -
Paddington section of the Heathrow Connect is operated on behalf of
First Great Western and is part of the Paddington suburban service
pattern.

Mr Thant November 8th 08 02:00 PM

On 8 Nov, 09:34, Andy wrote:
Is that just an out of date website?

Yes. The press office definitely thinks they accept PAYG.

the Hayes -
Paddington section of the Heathrow Connect is operated on behalf of
First Great Western

Almost. The trains and the staff (which are owned/employed by
Heathrow Express) are sublet to First Great Western for that part of
the journey.

Roland Perry November 8th 08 03:05 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

In message , at 10:22:32 on
Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Paul Corfield remarked:

irregular travellers and tourists may struggle

Talking of which, I went through T123 Underground station earlier today,
and the automatic barriers were taped off, with everyone having to take
a scenic tour of the booking office to get to the escalators. It wasn't
clear why, and the station employee I asked looked at me as if was
talking Swahili.

The thing that may have confused "irregular users and tourists" was the
lack of an obvious Oyster ad to touch in. It was recommended we lean
over the tape and use one of the pads on the inoperative gates.

[email protected] November 9th 08 12:10 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
10:22:32 on Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Paul Corfield
remarked:

irregular travellers and tourists may struggle

Talking of which, I went through T123 Underground station earlier
today, and the automatic barriers were taped off, with everyone
having to take a scenic tour of the booking office to get to the
escalators. It wasn't clear why, and the station employee I asked
looked at me as if was talking Swahili.

The thing that may have confused "irregular users and tourists" was
the lack of an obvious Oyster ad to touch in. It was recommended we
lean over the tape and use one of the pads on the inoperative gates.

Yes, I saw that yesterday when meeting my brother on his way through
London overnight at our mothers on his way from India back home to the US.

Our mother has had to give up driving so we were using the tube to meet
him for the first time for many years. She has a freedom Pass of course
and I had a day travelcard as I was in London for other proposes earlier
in the day.

I got my brother an Oyster card (£1 to Zone 2 instead of £4 cash fare) at
the ticket office then realised when we reached the platform that there
was no Oyster reader anywhere near the route from ticket office to
platform and had to dash back upstairs for him to touch it in. No
apologies for the confusion from staff at all.

Oyster is just what my brother and sister-in-law need as each can use it
when in London (they are rarely there together).

The only snag is how to get auto-top-up. I'm not sure someone can have an
online account without a UK address and the need for travel is probably
too low to justify £20 top-ups (the reason why I don't use auto-top-up).
The convenience might outweigh that for international travellers like
them, though. They also need to be sure which tube station they will hit
first after setting it up. Probably Heathrow Terminals 123 but not certain
at this range. I think they never need to visit the particular tube
station again.

It's a pity you can't just add PAYG credit online.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

MIG November 9th 08 12:25 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On Nov 9, 1:10*pm, wrote:
In article , (Roland

Perry) wrote:
[...]

Maybe they are following the example of much of the DLR.

[email protected] November 9th 08 01:10 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

On Nov 9, 1:10*pm, wrote:
In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:
[...]

purposes earlier in the day.

I got my brother an Oyster card (£1 to Zone 2 instead of £4 cash
fare) at the ticket office then realised when we reached the
platform that there was no Oyster reader anywhere near the route
from ticket office to platform and had to dash back upstairs for
him to touch it in. No apologies for the confusion from staff at all.

Maybe they are following the example of much of the DLR.

I don't think you can walk from ticket office to DLR platform without
passing even near an Oyster reader.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mizter T November 9th 08 02:21 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On 9 Nov, 13:10, wrote:

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

[...]

This sounds like it's a thoroughly silly situation and will be causing
lots of angst to lots of passengers be they irregular visitors to
London or even regular travellers. Might I suggest you make a quick
complaint - it won't take a moment and might ensure that the higher
echelons of LU management become aware if this issue and ensure that
in future it is properly addressed, for example Oyster readers are
placed in an obvious location for the period of the works.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/tube/default.asp

Oyster is just what my brother and sister-in-law need as each can use it
when in London (they are rarely there together).

The only snag is how to get auto-top-up. I'm not sure someone can have an
online account without a UK address and the need for travel is probably
too low to justify £20 top-ups (the reason why I don't use auto-top-up)..
The convenience might outweigh that for international travellers like
them, though. They also need to be sure which tube station they will hit
first after setting it up. Probably Heathrow Terminals 123 but not certain
at this range. I think they never need to visit the particular tube
station again.

I'm curious as to why you've come to the conclusion that your low
usage means that you cannot justify enabling auto-topup?

Erm, sorry offhand I can't remember what the deal is with regards to
Oyster, auto-topup and users with a non-UK address.

It's a pity you can't just add PAYG credit online.

Problem being that every single Oyster reader at every Tube station
(and indeed mainline rail station where Oyster PAYG is accepted) would
need to hold a complete list of all Oyster cards on which a top-up (or
new season Travelcard) was pending - and that's without even even
considering buses! Perhaps this will be possible one day, but not at
present - the technology simply could not deal with that!

MIG November 9th 08 04:42 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On Nov 9, 2:10*pm, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
On Nov 9, 1:10*pm, wrote:
In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:
[...]

The DLR doesn't sell Oyster, so all Oyster holders will have got it
somewhere else, but the problems are around touching in and out on a
normal route to/from the platform from/to the direction an Oyster
holder is likely to be coming/going. Some of them are very badly
placed, for no apparent reason.

Andrew Heenan November 9th 08 04:47 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

"MIG" wrote ...
I don't think you can walk from ticket office to DLR
platform without passing even near an Oyster reader.

The DLR doesn't sell Oyster, so all Oyster holders will have
got it somewhere else, but the problems are around touching
in and out on a normal route to/from the platform from/to
the direction an Oyster holder is likely to be coming/going.
Some of them are very badly placed, for no apparent reason.

I suspect that Mnay senior bods at DLR rejoiced in their 'separateness' from
the rest of TFL - and making Oyster convenient was extremely low on their
list of priorities.

Lately, DLR seems to be more of a team player.
--

Andrew

Neil Williams November 9th 08 04:52 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 09:42:06 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

The DLR doesn't sell Oyster, so all Oyster holders will have got it
somewhere else, but the problems are around touching in and out on a
normal route to/from the platform from/to the direction an Oyster
holder is likely to be coming/going. Some of them are very badly
placed, for no apparent reason.

I have wondered if it would make more sense, given the open nature of
DLR's system, to have a flat fare and readers on-board instead of
having them on the stations.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Mr Thant November 9th 08 05:17 PM

On 8 Nov, 16:05, Roland Perry wrote:
Talking of which, I went through T123 Underground station earlier today,
and the automatic barriers were taped off, with everyone having to take
a scenic tour of the booking office to get to the escalators. It wasn't
clear why

The signs say "escalator closure trials". I think the station has two
sets of escalators - one beyond the ticket office for people going
in, and one before the ticket office for people leaving, which have
their own gateline that exits directly onto the airport corridor.
Everyone was being sent via the latter.

The thing that may have confused "irregular users and tourists" was the
lack of an obvious Oyster ad to touch in. It was recommended we lean
over the tape and use one of the pads on the inoperative gates.

I noticed after lapping the ticket office that one gate of the exit-
only gateline is actually open and has a standalone reader positioned
next to it between you and the escalator. This is of course no good if
you go in through the normal entrance, or are coming from the ticket
office.

[email protected] November 9th 08 05:25 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On 9 Nov, 13:10, wrote:

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

[...]

Done. You too, Roland?

Oyster is just what my brother and sister-in-law need as each can use
it when in London (they are rarely there together).

The only snag is how to get auto-top-up. I'm not sure someone can have
an online account without a UK address and the need for travel is
probably too low to justify £20 top-ups (the reason why I don't use
auto-top-up). The convenience might outweigh that for international
travellers like them, though. They also need to be sure which tube
station they will hit first after setting it up. Probably Heathrow
Terminals 123 but not certain at this range. I think they never
need to visit the particular tube station again.

I'm curious as to why you've come to the conclusion that your low
usage means that you cannot justify enabling auto-topup?

Because the minimum of £20 top-up represents several years' usage! I've
spent less than a tenner on pre-pay so far this year. Yesterday was the
first time I've even bought a day travelcard (from Cambridge) for some
time. I mostly cycle in London these days, or occasionally get SWT from
Vauxhall to Putney.

Erm, sorry offhand I can't remember what the deal is with regards to
Oyster, auto-topup and users with a non-UK address.

I did a bit more digging and you have to have a UK postcode and phone
number for an account. Didn't get to look at auto-top-up specifically.

It's a pity you can't just add PAYG credit online.

Problem being that every single Oyster reader at every Tube station
(and indeed mainline rail station where Oyster PAYG is accepted) would
need to hold a complete list of all Oyster cards on which a top-up (or
new season Travelcard) was pending - and that's without even even
considering buses! Perhaps this will be possible one day, but not at
present - the technology simply could not deal with that!

Yes, I understand that but for people who don;t live near a tube station,
that presents a number of problems in using Oyster, some of which have
been discussed here.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard November 9th 08 06:37 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:52:29 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

I have wondered if it would make more sense, given the open nature of
DLR's system, to have a flat fare and readers on-board instead of
having them on the stations.

Agreed. I think the same can be said for trams.

Richard.

Roland Perry November 9th 08 09:09 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

In message
, at
10:17:19 on Sun, 9 Nov 2008, Mr Thant
remarked:
On 8 Nov, 16:05, Roland Perry wrote:
Talking of which, I went through T123 Underground station earlier today,
and the automatic barriers were taped off, with everyone having to take
a scenic tour of the booking office to get to the escalators. It wasn't
clear why

The signs say "escalator closure trials".

I think the closure was a success. Now they can declare the trial over.

I think the station has two
sets of escalators - one beyond the ticket office for people going
in, and one before the ticket office for people leaving, which have
their own gateline that exits directly onto the airport corridor.
Everyone was being sent via the latter.

We went down the escalator I think you'd normally expect to, but the
gateline from the corridor to the escalator was closed, and an entire
360 degree trip round the ticket office hall was required. The centre of
the hall is a maze of queue-control barriers, but they were shut and
therefore unable to be used as a short-cut.

Mizter T November 9th 08 11:40 PM

Williams) wrote:
I have wondered if it would make more sense, given the open nature of
DLR's system, to have a flat fare and readers on-board instead of
having them on the stations.

Agreed. *I think the same can be said for trams.

Of course in London the trams do already operate on a flat fare basis
on Croydon Tramlink - they didn't start off like this but things were
switched around a number of years ago so trams basically became an
equivalent to buses.

Though of course the point you were making is that trams should have
on-board Oyster readers. I suppose there are several pluses and
minuses to doing things either way.

Roland Perry November 10th 08 09:58 AM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

In message , at 12:25:42
on Sun, 9 Nov 2008, remarked:
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/tube/default.asp

Done. You too, Roland?

Yes.

Mizter T November 10th 08 05:14 PM

Oyster PAYG on Heathrow Connect

On 10 Nov, 10:58, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 12:25:42
on Sun, 9 Nov 2008, remarked:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/tube/default.asp

Done. You too, Roland?

Yes.

Good stuff. My impression is that TfL handles passenger comments and
complaints somewhat more diligently than others in the transport
business, and issues do get passed up the line to the appropriate
people.

[email protected] November 10th 08 09:30 PM

(Mizter T) wrote:

On 10 Nov, 10:58, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
12:25:42 on Sun, 9 Nov 2008, remarked:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/tube/default.asp

Done. You too, Roland?

Yes.

Good stuff. My impression is that TfL handles passenger comments and
complaints somewhat more diligently than others in the transport
business, and issues do get passed up the line to the appropriate
people.

There,s no doubt they have a right shambles at Heathrow now. I won't be
back there for a bit, though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 10th 08 09:30 PM

(Mizter T) wrote:

On 9 Nov, 22:09, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
10:17:19 on Sun, 9 Nov 2008, Mr Thant
remarked:

On 8 Nov, 16:05, Roland Perry wrote:
Talking of which, I went through T123 Underground station earlier
today, and the automatic barriers were taped off, with everyone
having to take a scenic tour of the booking office to get to the
escalators. It wasn't clear why

The signs say "escalator closure trials".

I think the closure was a success. Now they can declare the trial
over.

Sublime, Mr Perry!

I think I managed to cut through the maze a bit.

--
Colin Rosenstiel