London Banter

-   -   Do you prefer 2+2 or 3+2 seating? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7272-do-you-prefer-2-2-a.html)

1506 November 14th 08 09:46 PM

Do you prefer 2+2 or 3+2 seating?

On Nov 14, 1:08*pm, Paul Harley wrote:
Southern have commissioned a survey to ascertain whether passengers
prefer 2+2 or 3+2 seating (and Electrostars versus Class 319s).

If you feel inclined to express your opinion, the survey is at:

http://www.mvasurvey.com/southern/

Paul Harley

Thanks, I responded. I hate 3+2 seating.

Richard J.[_2_] November 14th 08 11:09 PM

1506 wrote:
On Nov 14, 1:08 pm, Paul Harley wrote:
Southern have commissioned a survey to ascertain whether passengers
prefer 2+2 or 3+2 seating (and Electrostars versus Class 319s).

If you feel inclined to express your opinion, the survey is at:

http://www.mvasurvey.com/southern/

Paul Harley

Thanks, I responded. I hate 3+2 seating.

The question as posed is silly. Most people prefer 2+2 seating to 3+2
seating because it's not so cramped. The question they ought to be asking
is whether you prefer to travel on a 2+2 train and suffer a higher
probability of having to stand, or to travel on a 3+2 train with more chance
of getting a seat but a cramped one if you get it.
--
Richard J.

a_a_a November 14th 08 11:39 PM

Richard J. wrote:

The question as posed is silly. Most people prefer 2+2 seating to 3+2
seating because it's not so cramped.

But 3+2 is better when it is only being used as 2+2 ! It's less cramped
then.

Miles Bader November 15th 08 01:08 AM

a_a_a writes:
The question as posed is silly. Most people prefer 2+2 seating to 3+2
seating because it's not so cramped.

But 3+2 is better when it is only being used as 2+2 ! It's less cramped
then.

Yup. And my general experience is that the reservation guys try to
avoid filling the middle seats until the train gets crowded.

-Miles

--
Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from
the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.

David Cantrell November 17th 08 12:07 PM

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:39:06AM +1100, a_a_a wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
The question as posed is silly. Most people prefer 2+2 seating to 3+2
seating because it's not so cramped.

But 3+2 is better when it is only being used as 2+2 ! It's less cramped
then.

No it's not, because while it might be less cramped on the 3 side, it's
still a terrible squash on the 2 side. Also there are hard ridges in
the seats.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

The voices said it's a good day to clean my weapons

1506 December 1st 08 05:21 PM

On Nov 14, 4:09*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
1506 wrote:
On Nov 14, 1:08 pm, Paul Harley wrote:
Southern have commissioned a survey to ascertain whether passengers
prefer 2+2 or 3+2 seating (and Electrostars versus Class 319s).

If you feel inclined to express your opinion, the survey is at:

http://www.mvasurvey.com/southern/

Paul Harley

Thanks, I responded. *I hate 3+2 seating.

The question as posed is silly. *Most people prefer 2+2 seating to 3+2
seating because it's not so cramped. *The question they ought to be asking
is whether you prefer to travel on a 2+2 train and suffer a higher
probability of having to stand, or to travel on a 3+2 train with more chance
of getting a seat but a cramped one if you get it.

For me, I'll take the first option any time. i.e. 2 + 2 seating is
always preferable, even if one has to utilize the more generous
standing space.

Miles Bader December 1st 08 10:26 PM

1506 writes:
probability of having to stand, or to travel on a 3+2 train with more chance
of getting a seat but a cramped one if you get it.

For me, I'll take the first option any time. i.e. 2 + 2 seating is
always preferable, even if one has to utilize the more generous
standing space.

It's kind of half-full-half-empty, I think. The seats in 3+2 are
narrower, so if you're, er, "hefty", you might not be so happy.
However, besides the increased chance of getting a seat when it's really
crowded, 3+2 also gives you a greater chance of having an empty seat
next to you when it's _not_ crowded. That's quite nice I think.

[On the newest shinkansens, they made the car bodies wider, so they
switched to 3+2 seating. On non-peak trains, which often seem to be
around 70% capacity, this is actually great, as they try to arrange
reservations to keep the middle seats empty. On crammed peak trains,
it's certainly better than standing for two hours... :-]

-Miles

--
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.