London Banter

-   -   New London Taxi (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7315-new-london-taxi.html)

[email protected] December 3rd 08 12:29 AM

New London Taxi

In article ,
(Colin McKenzie) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(Colin McKenzie) wrote:
Difference between tonne and ton? RMLs were always labelled as
7t15cwt - so your figure is high unless the replacement engines
were half a ton heavier than the originals. RMs were 7t5cwt.

RMLs are definitely over 8 tonnes now. Now I think of it, it was
RMs that were 7 tons 15 cwt.

See http://www.routemaster.org.uk/faq_fandf.html, and other sources.

The only types over 8 tons when new were the RCL (with a bigger
engine) and FRM (with a rear engine). I think the FRM was lighter
than any other rear-engined double-decker used in London.

I'm not arguing about what RMLs weigh now - I haven't looked. But 8
tonnes is 1.6% less than 8 tons.

I don't recognise any of those values from what I recall of the numbers
painted on the sides of buses. They've been metric for some years now, of
course.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Mike Hughes December 3rd 08 12:52 AM

New London Taxi

In message ,
writes
In article ,
(Mike Hughes) wrote:

And finally, what's the uptake on the Mercs been like?

They hope to have 150 in service by the end of Jan

Out of, how many licensed cabs is it? 22,000?

Just slightly under the last time I checked (October 2007)

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England

[email protected] December 3rd 08 11:40 PM

New London Taxi

In article ,
(Mike Hughes) wrote:

In message ,
writes
In article ,
(Mike Hughes) wrote:

And finally, what's the uptake on the Mercs been like?

They hope to have 150 in service by the end of Jan

Out of, how many licensed cabs is it? 22,000?

Just slightly under the last time I checked (October 2007)

I was judging by the fact that they are replacing plate 99999 about now
and must have issued plate 32000 by now because a plate in the high 31800s
expires a year after last week (they start again at 10000 after 99999).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

jemmydoug February 4th 11 09:25 AM

We have been involved with London Taxis for over 70 years and have been manufacturing them for over 60 years. Over that time we have built up unrivalled expertise in the intensely demanding world of taxi cabs.

adamina November 25th 11 05:59 AM

I am not interested in becoming a professional taxi driver, but would like to learn some of the routes used by the professionals to move about London.

Robin9 November 25th 11 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamina (Post 124499)
I am not interested in becoming a professional taxi driver, but would like to learn some of the routes used by the professionals to move about London.

Well, go ahead and learn them!

There are essentially two ways to learn how to drive around London without getting stuck in the innumerable unnecessary traffic jams. The first is to "do the knowledge" which is what London's Hackney Cab drivers have to do. This involves, amongst other things, doing more than 300 pre-determined "runs" and memorising the routes.

The second is to do a great deal of driving, to learn the hard way where all the traffic problems are, and by trial and error experimentation to learn routes which avoid those problem areas.

Because Hackney Cab drivers are supposed to take the most direct route, they are not the greatest experts in avoiding traffic jams.

Dottycute December 10th 11 04:17 AM

London is one of the most beautiful and happening cities in the world. Tourists from different parts of the world visit here to explore its beauty and charm. If you are planning to visit London this vacation, make sure that you book London taxis ahead of time. Taxis act as an important link in the London's transportation network.