London Banter

-   -   Oyster validity (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7346-oyster-validity.html)

[email protected] December 11th 08 12:43 PM

Oyster validity

I just bought an oyster on dec 4 08 when does it expire?

Recliner[_2_] December 11th 08 01:01 PM

Oyster validity

wrote in message

I just bought an oyster on dec 4 08 when does it expire?

Never

Roland Perry December 11th 08 02:30 PM

Oyster validity

In message , at 14:01:03 on
Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Recliner remarked:
I just bought an oyster on dec 4 08 when does it expire?

Never

Never is a very long time. It will probably "expire" (although "become
useless" is probably a better description) when there are no longer any
gates with backwards compatibility to read them. I'd give it 15 years.

Or they may pass a new law saying that all credit expires a year after
it's added - I think the New York equivalent has that rule.

Paul Scott December 11th 08 02:40 PM

Oyster validity

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 14:01:03 on Thu,
11 Dec 2008, Recliner remarked:
I just bought an oyster on dec 4 08 when does it expire?

Never

Never is a very long time. It will probably "expire" (although "become
useless" is probably a better description) when there are no longer any
gates with backwards compatibility to read them. I'd give it 15 years.

Or they may pass a new law saying that all credit expires a year after
it's added - I think the New York equivalent has that rule.

"The money on your Oyster card never
expires - it stays there until you use it.
However, if your card is not used for
2 years, you will have to reactivate it or
claim back any unused cash by calling
the Oyster helpline..."

RTFM at:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...oyster.pdfPaul S

Roland Perry December 11th 08 03:20 PM

Oyster validity

In message , at 15:40:38 on
Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Paul Scott remarked:
"The money on your Oyster card never
expires - it stays there until you use it.
However, if your card is not used for
2 years, you will have to reactivate it or
claim back any unused cash by calling
the Oyster helpline..."

I never knew that. I must have been lucky that I've inadvertently never
left more than a 2 year gap. Or is it a new idea they've just cooked up?

It seems that this may even be the "warm up" for the processes I hinted
at - you phone to reactivate and they say "actually, we don't do Oyster
any more, but here's how to get your money back, loaded onto a Lobster
Card".

Paul Scott December 11th 08 03:24 PM

Oyster validity

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:40:38 on Thu,
11 Dec 2008, Paul Scott remarked:
"The money on your Oyster card never
expires - it stays there until you use it.
However, if your card is not used for
2 years, you will have to reactivate it or
claim back any unused cash by calling
the Oyster helpline..."

I never knew that. I must have been lucky that I've inadvertently never
left more than a 2 year gap. Or is it a new idea they've just cooked up?

I think it dates back to at least 2005 when I originally got my card.

Paul S

Steve December 11th 08 05:24 PM

Oyster validity

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:40:38 -0000, Paul Scott wrote:
"The money on your Oyster card never
expires - it stays there until you use it.
However, if your card is not used for
2 years, you will have to reactivate it or
claim back any unused cash by calling
the Oyster helpline..."

That might be in theory, but I've left one for more than 2 years (nearly 3)
and it was fine.

Steve

Andrew Heenan December 11th 08 05:46 PM

Oyster validity

wrote ...
I just bought an oyster on dec 4 08 when does it expire?

9th October 2023

I could be a little more accurate if you'd care to tell us if you bought a
weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual or whatever ...

Help us to help you ...
--

Andrew

Roland Perry December 11th 08 06:46 PM

Oyster validity

In message , at 16:24:54 on
Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Paul Scott remarked:

I think it dates back to at least 2005 when I originally got my card.

I've had my card significantly longer than that.