London Banter

-   -   TfL Fraud?! (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7352-tfl-fraud.html)

elyob December 14th 08 01:14 PM

TfL Fraud?!

Had a call from Barclays fraud department yesterday "Have you used
your card in the last few minutes?" "No".

Turns out that Barclays had highlighted my Oyster auto-renew as
potential fraud. A quick check on my email and I saw the fail to
collect money email.

You'd have thought they'd have known who it was .. although I think
TfL were using "Autoload" as the name on the transaction. Would have
been better to have put Oyster in there somewhere, perhaps TfL
etc ....

Nick

Mizter T December 14th 08 01:42 PM

TfL Fraud?!

On 14 Dec, 14:14, elyob wrote:
Had a call from Barclays fraud department yesterday "Have you used
your card in the last few minutes?" "No".

Turns out that Barclays had highlighted my Oyster auto-renew as
potential fraud. A quick check on my email and I saw the fail to
collect money email.

You'd have thought they'd have known who it was .. although I think
TfL were using "Autoload" as the name on the transaction. Would have
been better to have put Oyster in there somewhere, perhaps TfL
etc ....

A fail on the part of Barclays there then, though it seems that TfL
might not have helped (perhaps TfL has moved to a new payment platform
which has confused things?). When they called did the Barclays fraud
people say who had attempted to take money from your account at all?

The now defunct easyMobile service was a pay-as-you-go system which
offered an auto-topup facility similar to that of Oyster - every time
the balance went below £2 (I think) it would automatically get topped
up by an amount (£20 I think, can't remember if this amount could be
different). I set someone up on this and it suited their needs
perfectly, then the company collapsed and I was unable to find anyone
else who offered a similar service for mobiles which was a pain.

David Jackman[_2_] December 14th 08 02:34 PM

TfL Fraud?!

elyob wrote in news:53eac4b7-5705-41bf-ad60-
:

Had a call from Barclays fraud department yesterday "Have you used
your card in the last few minutes?" "No".

Turns out that Barclays had highlighted my Oyster auto-renew as
potential fraud. A quick check on my email and I saw the fail to
collect money email.

You'd have thought they'd have known who it was .. although I think
TfL were using "Autoload" as the name on the transaction. Would have
been better to have put Oyster in there somewhere, perhaps TfL
etc ....

Nick

Would that be ths same Barclays that have worked with TfL to offer the
OnePulse combined Oyster and Creditcard (
http://www.barclaycard-
onepulse.co.uk/cardDetail.html)?

David

Graham Harrison[_2_] December 14th 08 02:59 PM

TfL Fraud?!

"elyob" wrote in message
Had a call from Barclays fraud department yesterday "Have you used
your card in the last few minutes?" "No".

Turns out that Barclays had highlighted my Oyster auto-renew as
potential fraud. A quick check on my email and I saw the fail to
collect money email.

You'd have thought they'd have known who it was .. although I think
TfL were using "Autoload" as the name on the transaction. Would have
been better to have put Oyster in there somewhere, perhaps TfL
etc ....

Nick

I believe some fraudsters have been known to try low value transactions on a
card (to prove it exists and has "some" funds) before hitting it with the
big transactions. It's caused my bank to catch an attempt on one of may
cards in the past.

Paul Terry[_2_] December 14th 08 03:28 PM

TfL Fraud?!

In message . 145, David
Jackman writes

Would that be ths same Barclays that have worked with TfL to offer the
OnePulse combined Oyster and Creditcard (http://www.barclaycard-
onepulse.co.uk/cardDetail.html)?

:)

In my experience, Barclays Bank and Barclaycard operate in very
different ways. I've had a number of problems with payments being
refused from my Barclays debit card due to over-zealous fraud checking,
including regular debits to PayPal being refused (despite ample funds)
and an odd incident in the summer when payments were refused (without
notifying me) due to "unusual Internet activity" (I was refurbishing a
bathroom, which is admittedly not something I do every month).

Of course, it's difficult to make a fuss about checks, because fraud is
a growing problem, but I've never had problems with Barclaycard - only
with Barclays themselves.

--
Paul Terry

Batman55 December 14th 08 09:59 PM

TfL Fraud?!

"elyob" wrote in message
Had a call from Barclays fraud department yesterday "Have you used
your card in the last few minutes?" "No".

Turns out that Barclays had highlighted my Oyster auto-renew as
potential fraud. A quick check on my email and I saw the fail to
collect money email.

You'd have thought they'd have known who it was .. although I think
TfL were using "Autoload" as the name on the transaction. Would have
been better to have put Oyster in there somewhere, perhaps TfL
etc ....

Nick

At least they rang you! Last time their computer got excited with my
activities the first I knew about it was when my next attempt to pay for
petrol was refused. It eventually turned out to be an on-line transaction
via Orange which went to a company in Germany. There was such a muddle that
I had to stop the card and start again . It is nice to see they are looking
out for fraud, but had they taken the whole matter seriously ten years ago
we might not be in today's chaos.

MaxB

[email protected] December 15th 08 09:33 AM

TfL Fraud?!

On Dec 14, 2:14 pm, elyob wrote:
Had a call from Barclays fraud department yesterday "Have you used
your card in the last few minutes?" "No".

Turns out that Barclays had highlighted my Oyster auto-renew as
potential fraud. A quick check on my email and I saw the fail to
collect money email.

Serves you right for being dumb enough to let TfL have direct debit
access to your bank account.

B2003

Mizter T December 15th 08 09:51 AM

TfL Fraud?!

On 15 Dec, 10:33, wrote:

On Dec 14, 2:14 pm, elyob wrote:

Had a call from Barclays fraud department yesterday "Have you used
your card in the last few minutes?" "No".

Turns out that Barclays had highlighted my Oyster auto-renew as
potential fraud. A quick check on my email and I saw the fail to
collect money email.

Serves you right for being dumb enough to let TfL have direct debit
access to your bank account.

(a) It's not 'Direct Debit' (whereby bank account details are given)
it's 'Continuous Authority Mandate' (whereby credit or debit card
details are given) - a subtle but very real difference.

(b) The OP's problem here was the actions of his bank, Barclay's, not
those of TfL. Either you were lazy and only read the subject line and
didn't read the rest before you fired off your response, or otherwise
you totally failed to comprehend the OP's original message.

(c) What do you take to keep your perpetual levels of vitriol up?

p.s. There's a really obvious comment that you could have come out
with, one that would be keeping with your world view - I'll shout
bingo if you can manage to blurt it out...

[email protected] December 15th 08 12:01 PM

TfL Fraud?!

On Dec 15, 10:51 am, Mizter T wrote:
(a) It's not 'Direct Debit' (whereby bank account details are given)
it's 'Continuous Authority Mandate' (whereby credit or debit card
details are given) - a subtle but very real difference.

So with direct debit money gets taken out your bank account without
your direct intervention. And if you've given a debit card number
err , money gets taken out your bank account with your direct
intervention. Sorry, what exactly is this "subtle but very real
difference" again?

(b) The OP's problem here was the actions of his bank, Barclay's, not
those of TfL. Either you were lazy and only read the subject line and
didn't read the rest before you fired off your response, or otherwise
you totally failed to comprehend the OP's original message.

"although I think TfL were using "Autoload" as the name on the
transaction."

Sounds to me like TfL were using a stupid name and this tripped the
banks security systems. How is that the banks fault exactly? Sounds to
me like they were doing their job fine.

(c) What do you take to keep your perpetual levels of vitriol up?

15 years of commuting on the tube will do it.

I actually got stuck in a 5 mile jam on the north circular this
morning the car pumping out CO2 like its going out of fashion. But you
know what? Compared to being stuck in a fscking tunnel squashed up
with 800 other people with no information and getting as hot as hell ,
it was a dream trip. And cheaper. I hope I NEVER have to use the tube
to commute ever again.

p.s. There's a really obvious comment that you could have come out
with, one that would be keeping with your world view - I'll shout
bingo if you can manage to blurt it out...

Don't know , don't care.

B2003

Mike Bristow December 15th 08 12:59 PM

TfL Fraud?!

In article ,
wrote:
On Dec 15, 10:51 am, Mizter T wrote:
(a) It's not 'Direct Debit' (whereby bank account details are given)
it's 'Continuous Authority Mandate' (whereby credit or debit card
details are given) - a subtle but very real difference.

So with direct debit money gets taken out your bank account without
your direct intervention. And if you've given a debit card number
err , money gets taken out your bank account with your direct
intervention. Sorry, what exactly is this "subtle but very real
difference" again?

The direct debit guarentee. It applies to direct debits. It doesn't apply
to continuous authority mandates.

--
Shenanigans! Shenanigans! Best of 3!
-- Flash