London Banter

-   -   King George V (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7379-king-george-v.html)

[email protected] December 25th 08 03:34 PM

King George V

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

In message ,
writes
In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

(The term Metropolitan Borough was of course resurrected in 1974
for the subdivisions of the new Metropolitan counties outside
London.)

Sort of. The 1974 creations are Metropolitan Districts in law, even
though most have the status of borough (and many the status of city).

I *think* they all do now, actually. (I'm sure someone will now
find a MD that isn't!)

There are lots of MDs that are not Cities but you may be right that all
have the status of Borough, if not City.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] December 25th 08 03:34 PM

King George V

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

That is indeed the case. Some county Borough remained united with
their "parent" county for police purposes (other did not) but in
the case of East and West Ham this was academic as they were all
covered by the Met.

County Boroughs in general remained parts of their geographic counties.
They were just separate for administrative purposes, like parts of some
counties, e.g. East and West Suffolk, Cambs and the Isle of Ely, etc.

I think that the only other County Borough within present day
London was Croydon. Anyone know better?

Yes, they were the only three.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Abigail Brady December 25th 08 05:39 PM

King George V

On Dec 25, 4:34 pm, wrote:
There are lots of MDs that are not Cities but you may be right that all
have the status of Borough, if not City.

_All_ of the MDs have the status of borough, even those that also have
the status of city.

--
Abi

Tim Roll-Pickering December 27th 08 05:59 PM

King George V

Mizter T wrote:
UIVMM (always possible!) the County Borough of West Ham remained in
the County of Essex but, as a County Borough, was effectively a free
and independent agent outwith the boundaries of the County Council (as
was the later County Borough of *East* Ham).

I believe so. The main distinction would be that whilst the County Council
didn't cover them, the Lord Lieutenant would.

Ian Jelf December 27th 08 09:53 PM

King George V

In message , Tim Roll-Pickering
writes
Mizter T wrote:
UIVMM (always possible!) the County Borough of West Ham remained in
the County of Essex but, as a County Borough, was effectively a free
and independent agent outwith the boundaries of the County Council (as
was the later County Borough of *East* Ham).

I believe so. The main distinction would be that whilst the County Council
didn't cover them, the Lord Lieutenant would.

And the Sheriff.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK