London Banter

-   -   A welcome home (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/743-welcome-home.html)

James Farrar September 20th 03 05:47 PM

A welcome home

I've been in San Francisco for ten days.

My first journey back in the UK - journey disturbed by a busker who
got on at Boston Manor - I made a sarky comment and he buggered off
without paying - and then a "homeless, £3.50 for accommodation, it's
not for beer, honest" type on the Connex train ex Charing Cross.

I think I'll go back to a civilised transport system - $1.25 for 90
minutes (2 changes), $45 for a whole month... and no annoying people
on the trains...

--
James Farrar |
London SE 13 |

Ed Crowley September 22nd 03 10:51 AM

A welcome home

I remember feeling mortified returning back to London with some German
friends after spending two weeks in Munich. They were shocked just how
expensive the Stanstead "Express" was (and not impressed that one carriage
was covered in vomit). Then we transferred to the (delayed) Circle line,
which turned up covered in graffiti and full of litter. It certainly does
make you question how the 4th richest country in the world has a capital
city like this ...

Mrs C September 22nd 03 03:38 PM

A welcome home

I visited San Francisco earlier this year for the first time. I was
accosted by more pan-handlers, beggars and drunks in central SF in
one day than I would be in central London in a month. And the homeless
situation seems to be far, far worse in SF - or perhaps I'm just
oblivious to it in London.

RJ

Neil Williams September 22nd 03 05:14 PM

A welcome home

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:51:50 +0100, "Ed Crowley"
wrote:

I remember feeling mortified returning back to London with some German
friends after spending two weeks in Munich. They were shocked just how
expensive the Stanstead "Express" was (and not impressed that one carriage
was covered in vomit). Then we transferred to the (delayed) Circle line,
which turned up covered in graffiti and full of litter. It certainly does
make you question how the 4th richest country in the world has a capital
city like this ...

MX of Munich (and Bavaria in general) is that it's refreshingly
graffiti-free, just like the North West of England as compared with
London (though it's getting worse). However, go to Hamburg and
there's hardly a surface (including trains, often inside as well)
where it is not found.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.

James Farrar September 22nd 03 07:08 PM

A welcome home

(Mrs C) wrote:

I visited San Francisco earlier this year for the first time. I was
accosted by more pan-handlers, beggars and drunks in central SF in
one day than I would be in central London in a month. And the homeless
situation seems to be far, far worse in SF - or perhaps I'm just
oblivious to it in London.

I'm oblivious to them everywhere. Looking back on it, the Street Sheet
sellers tend to be less aggressive than the Big Issue sellers, and I
don't think the homeless/begging situation is any worse than in
London, bearing in mind that the tourist/business area is so much
smaller., you would expect more beggars/street sleepers per mile of
pavement, and I'm not at all sure that's the case.

--
James Farrar |

London, SE13 |

Ben Nunn September 23rd 03 02:05 PM

A welcome home

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Ed Crowley
), in message
who said:
I remember feeling mortified returning back to London with some German
friends after spending two weeks in Munich. They were shocked just
how expensive the Stanstead "Express" was (and not impressed that one
carriage was covered in vomit). Then we transferred to the (delayed)
Circle line, which turned up covered in graffiti and full of litter.
It certainly does make you question how the 4th richest country in
the world has a capital city like this ...

Because this country offers incentives for plebs to breed and the sector of
society reproducing at the highest rate is the sector least capable of
raising new civilised human beings.

BTN