London Banter

-   -   Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7438-ealing-clapham-parliamentary-bus.html)

John Rowland January 7th 09 01:38 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5462099.ece

Mizter T January 7th 09 02:12 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

On 7 Jan, 14:38, "John Rowland"
wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5462099.ece

Fourth thread today on uk.railway on this topic! Admittedly it's the
first on uk.transport.london.

Might I direct those interested in this (including utl-ers) to the
uk.railway thread entitled "Parliamentary rail replacement service"
started Jan 7 at 00:58 by Roy Badami. It's got lots of interesting /
boring comments (delete according to taste) about this esoteric issue.

Google Groups link to the aforementioned thread he
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....e4d2e87fdc5a4/

Usenet message ID of the original post:

Andrew Heenan January 7th 09 03:25 PM

wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5462099.ece

Just shows how DfT continues to micromanage every aspect of the railways.

Mind you, selecting Arriva to run cross country wasn't the brightest of
moves, unless profit was the only consideration.

And, of course, it was.

I like the G&S quote in the article:

"The idiot who, in railway carriages,
Scribbles on window-panes,
We only suffer
To ride on a buffer
On Parliamentary trains"

On the parliamentary buses, they ride on the rear axle.
--

Andrew
"If A is success in life, then A = x + y + z.

Paul Scott January 7th 09 08:50 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

Andrew Heenan wrote:
On 7 Jan, 14:38, "John Rowland"
wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5462099.ece

Just shows how DfT continues to micromanage every aspect of the
railways.
Mind you, selecting Arriva to run cross country wasn't the brightest
of moves, unless profit was the only consideration.

The route had already been effectively binned by the time AXC were given the
franchise. The 'NewXC' ITT made this quite clear...

Paul

Offramp January 8th 09 09:14 AM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

On Jan 7, 2:38*pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5462099.ece

Weird stuff; I would think the departure next Tuesday would be quite
full.
Does anyone know if one can board at Ken Olymp? And if so, where?

Mizter T January 8th 09 11:14 AM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

``
On 8 Jan, 10:14, Offramp wrote:

On Jan 7, 2:38*pm, "John Rowland"

wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5462099.ece

Weird stuff; I would think the departure next Tuesday would be quite
full.
Does anyone know if one can board at Ken Olymp? And if so, where?

No - it's just between Ealing Broadway and Wandsworth Road. The idea
is that the bus substitutes for a train service and covers a few
stretches of line (two in the Acton/Willesden Jn area, one in
Battersea) that are no longer served by a passenger train service -
the pretence is that the replacement bus continues to provide a
service over these lines (which is, to my mind at least, rather
absurd).

If you take a look at the uk.railway thread that I referred to in my
earlier reply on this thread [1] then you might get some more insight
into what's actually going on here that from just reading the
newspaper article - in particular there's a very interesting comment
from 'Andy' where he basically says that he thinks the DfT's
interpretation of the law is wrong, and also that he doesn't "think
that the law makes any mention of bus substitution being
acceptable." [2]

Agreed that after all this publicity I can well see a bunch of awkward-
squad bods turning up next Tuesday to ride on it!

-----
[1] "Parliamentary rail replacement service" thread on uk.railway (via
GG):
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....e4d2e87fdc5a4/

[2] Andy's specific post where he mentions this (via GG):
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....ddf3f792bacca7

Recliner[_2_] January 8th 09 12:58 PM

"Mizter T" wrote in message

Agreed that after all this publicity I can well see a bunch of
awkward- squad bods turning up next Tuesday to ride on it!

If enough (fare-paying) people show up next Tuesday, I wonder if they
would strengthen the service? If they need several buses to cope with
this unexpected demand, will they need to put a train on to get the
unwanted traffic off the busy London roads?

Offramp January 8th 09 01:43 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

On 8 Jan, 12:14, Mizter T wrote:
``
On 8 Jan, 10:14, Offramp wrote:

On Jan 7, 2:38*pm, "John Rowland"

wrote:
[...]

GG):http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....thread/ceae4d2....

[2] Andy's specific post where he mentions this (via GG):http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....ddf3f792bacca7

I did read the posts at the other place and that was where I saw
"09:45 Ealing Broadway,
10:25 Kensington Olympia,
10:55 Wandsworth Road
Returns at:
13:15Wandsworth Road
13:45 Kensington Olympia
14:25 Ealing Broadway"
and I thought perhaps it stopped at K Olymp and took passengers.
Also I suppose the service is free.
I hope the gawkers on Tuesday 13th don't ruin it for people like me
who may go later in the year as a matter of curiosity!
I didn't want to travel all the way out to Ealing, and I was hoping to
get on at Kensington, but I may get on at Clapham and jump off at a
set of lights.

Alan

Mizter T January 8th 09 02:59 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

On 8 Jan, 14:43, Offramp wrote:

On 8 Jan, 12:14, Mizter T wrote:

``
On 8 Jan, 10:14, Offramp wrote:

[...]

My utmost apologies - I had completely failed to notice the mention of
the apparent Kensington Olympia stop in that post. If that information
is correct then yes it looks like it does stop an Kensington Olympia.

To be honest I think the whole interpretation of this law, if not the
law itself, is a bit fuzzy, but if a replacement bus is deemed as an
acceptable substitute for a railway service (which is debatable) then
in a sense one could argue that it need not stop at KO.

That said, stopping it at KO does perhaps emphasise the two separate
areas where the bus is acting as a substitute for a train - the first
to the north west of KO (the Acton/Willesden Jn area lines) and the
second being the 'Ludgate Lines' south of the river.

Also, the KO stop does arguably make the whole thing a little less
nonsensical, at least when it comes to journeys to and from Reading -
notionally a passenger from the west could change at Reading onto a
service that stops at Ealing B'way, take the bus to KO and then
continue their journey south on the Southern service (say to East
Croydon, or changing there for Brighton).

The KO to Wandsworth Road stretch however still remains pretty
nonsensical in my book as AFAIAA there has never been a train service
that stops at Wandsworth Road and then continues down through Brixton,
Herne Hill, Tulse Hill etc towards East Croydon - so a passenger
taking the replacement bus from KO to Wandsworth Rd won't then be able
to recreate the route of the journey that the Crosscountry train took
from Wandsworth Road to points south - sure, they can go via Peckham
Rye and change, but that's not quite the same thing.

Also I suppose the service is free.

No, at least not officially - in effect it's a railway replacement
service and in essence passengers are expected to have a ticket before
they board if there were ticket issuing facilities available at the
starting station. In practice whether the driver actually asks to see
passengers' tickets is another matter - however I definitely don't
think one should take it as a given that they won't, as given that
this is an unusual service I can well imagine the driver taking an
interest in their prospective passengers.

I hope the gawkers on Tuesday 13th don't ruin it for people like me
who may go later in the year as a matter of curiosity!
I didn't want to travel all the way out to Ealing, and I was hoping to
get on at Kensington, but I may get on at Clapham and jump off at a
set of lights.

Interesting that you place Wandsworth Road station in Clapham - to me
it's in a kind of hinterland between Clapham, Battersea, Stockwell and
South Lambeth. We had a discussion about it a while ago when John
Rowland suggested it should be renamed if ELLX phase 2 ever happens so
as to try and avoid passengers getting confused and thinking it's in
Wandsworth, which it ain't - for that matter it's not in the Borough
of Wandsworth either, it's just the road to Wandsworth.

Tom Anderson January 8th 09 03:14 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Mizter T wrote:

On 8 Jan, 14:43, Offramp wrote:

On 8 Jan, 12:14, Mizter T wrote:

On 8 Jan, 10:14, Offramp wrote:

Weird stuff

Agreed that after all this publicity I can well see a bunch of awkward-
squad bods turning up next Tuesday to ride on it!

I hope the gawkers on Tuesday 13th don't ruin it for people like me who
may go later in the year as a matter of curiosity! I didn't want to
travel all the way out to Ealing, and I was hoping to get on at
Kensington, but I may get on at Clapham and jump off at a set of
lights.

Interesting that you place Wandsworth Road station in Clapham - to me
it's in a kind of hinterland between Clapham, Battersea, Stockwell and
South Lambeth. We had a discussion about it a while ago

Batterclapstock!

tom

--
Osteoclasts = monsters from the DEEP -- Andrew

Mizter T January 8th 09 03:53 PM

On 8 Jan, 16:14, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Mizter T wrote:
On 8 Jan, 14:43, Offramp wrote:

On 8 Jan, 12:14, Mizter T wrote:

On 8 Jan, 10:14, Offramp wrote:

Weird stuff

Agreed that after all this publicity I can well see a bunch of awkward-
squad bods turning up next Tuesday to ride on it!

I hope the gawkers on Tuesday 13th don't ruin it for people like me who
may go later in the year as a matter of curiosity! I didn't want to
travel all the way out to Ealing, and I was hoping to get on at
Kensington, but I may get on at Clapham and jump off at a set of
lights.

Interesting that you place Wandsworth Road station in Clapham - to me
it's in a kind of hinterland between Clapham, Battersea, Stockwell and
South Lambeth. We had a discussion about it a while ago

Batterclapstock!

How could I forget! But no South Lambeth in there - Lambatterclapstock
or even Slambatterclapstock - though perhaps South Lambeth starts far
enough up the road for any further modifications to /mangling of your
original to be unnecessary...

MIG January 8th 09 04:32 PM

On 8 Jan, 16:53, Mizter T wrote:
On 8 Jan, 16:14, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Mizter T wrote:
On 8 Jan, 14:43, Offramp wrote:

On 8 Jan, 12:14, Mizter T wrote:

On 8 Jan, 10:14, Offramp wrote:

Weird stuff

[...]

Pronounced "Slaahk"?

Mizter T January 8th 09 05:12 PM

On 8 Jan, 17:32, MIG wrote:

On 8 Jan, 16:53, Mizter T wrote:

On 8 Jan, 16:14, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

Interesting that you place Wandsworth Road station in Clapham - to me
it's in a kind of hinterland between Clapham, Battersea, Stockwell and
South Lambeth. We had a discussion about it a while ago

Batterclapstock!

How could I forget! But no South Lambeth in there - Lambatterclapstock
or even Slambatterclapstock - though perhaps South Lambeth starts far
enough up the road for any further modifications to /mangling of your
original to be unnecessary...-

Pronounced "Slaahk"?

Ha ha, yes, that's the one. In fact we might as well use the
contraction for the new name of the station, and we can rebrand the
area at the same time. It'll become London's hottest new district,
replete with great transport links including a once weekly bus to the
mysterious lands of west London - though you'll have to stay there all
week until you can catch one the other way - that's as long as you've
avoided falling off the edge of the world of course.

Offramp January 8th 09 05:17 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

Thank you for a tremendous response. I hope you don't think I was
peeved in any way... I wasn't !

I only really said Clapham because of the title of the thread.

Stephen Furley January 8th 09 05:17 PM

On 8 Jan, 13:58, "Recliner" wrote:

If enough (fare-paying) people show up next Tuesday, I wonder if they
would strengthen the service? *If they need several buses to cope with
this unexpected demand, will they need to put a train on to get the
unwanted traffic off the busy London roads?

What would happen if more people turned up than could be carried on
the bus? Would some simply be left behind, with a rather long wait
for the next bus, or would taxis be provided for them? Sounds like
this could start to get even more expensive; maybe that's why they
don't want people using this farce, er service.

Peter Smyth January 8th 09 05:41 PM

"Offramp" wrote in message

I did read the posts at the other place and that was where I saw
"09:45 Ealing Broadway,
10:25 Kensington Olympia,
10:55 Wandsworth Road
Returns at:
13:15Wandsworth Road
13:45 Kensington Olympia
14:25 Ealing Broadway"
and I thought perhaps it stopped at K Olymp and took passengers.

I wonder why the bus needs to wait at Wandsworth Road for 2 hours+
instead of returning immediately? It seems a rather inefficient way to
provide a replacement service.

Peter Smyth

Mark Morton January 8th 09 05:51 PM

Stephen Furley wrote:
On 8 Jan, 13:58, "Recliner" wrote:

If enough (fare-paying) people show up next Tuesday, I wonder if they
would strengthen the service? If they need several buses to cope with
this unexpected demand, will they need to put a train on to get the
unwanted traffic off the busy London roads?

What would happen if more people turned up than could be carried on
the bus? Would some simply be left behind, with a rather long wait
for the next bus, or would taxis be provided for them? Sounds like
this could start to get even more expensive; maybe that's why they
don't want people using this farce, er service.

I guess you'd just be told to take the next service to Wandsworth Road:
Train to Paddington, Underground to Victoria, then train to WWR.

If that means you get to Wandsworth Road later, then you'd probably have
to claim for a delayed journey to XC in the normal way.

Mizter T January 8th 09 06:12 PM

On 8 Jan, 18:51, Mark Morton wrote:

Stephen Furley wrote:

On 8 Jan, 13:58, "Recliner" wrote:

If enough (fare-paying) people show up next Tuesday, I wonder if they
would strengthen the service? *If they need several buses to cope with
this unexpected demand, will they need to put a train on to get the
unwanted traffic off the busy London roads?

What would happen if more people turned up than could be carried on
the bus? *Would some simply be left behind, with a rather long wait
for the next bus, or would taxis be provided for them? *Sounds like
this could start to get even more expensive; maybe that's why they
don't want people using this farce, er service.

I guess you'd just be told to take the next service to Wandsworth Road:
Train to Paddington, Underground to Victoria, then train to WWR.

Or Underground all the way to Victoria - the District line goes
direct.

If that means you get to Wandsworth Road later, then you'd probably have
to claim for a delayed journey to XC in the normal way.

Looking over the (intentional) absurdity of the very question, I've a
feeling that XC aren't actually involved in this arrangement
whatsoever, not even by name - I read somewhere that the revised law
now allows for this obligation to fall back on the franchising
authority (i.e. DfT or Transport Scotland) though I've no idea if this
is actually correct.

Mizter T January 8th 09 06:22 PM

On 8 Jan, 18:41, "Peter Smyth" wrote:

"Offramp" wrote:

I did read the posts at the other place and that was where I saw
"09:45 Ealing Broadway,
10:25 Kensington Olympia,
10:55 Wandsworth Road
Returns at:
13:15Wandsworth Road
13:45 Kensington Olympia
14:25 Ealing Broadway"
and I thought perhaps it stopped at K Olymp and took passengers.

I wonder why the bus needs to wait at Wandsworth Road for 2 hours+
instead of returning immediately? It seems a rather inefficient way to
provide a replacement service.

Enough time for a couple of pints in the badlands of south London,
surely...

My recommendations...
Tim Bobbin
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...Bobbin/Clapham

Bread and Roses
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs..._Roses/Clapham

Mark Morton January 8th 09 06:31 PM

Stephen Furley wrote:

On 8 Jan, 13:58, "Recliner" wrote:
If enough (fare-paying) people show up next Tuesday, I wonder if they
would strengthen the service? If they need several buses to cope with
this unexpected demand, will they need to put a train on to get the
unwanted traffic off the busy London roads?
What would happen if more people turned up than could be carried on
the bus? Would some simply be left behind, with a rather long wait
for the next bus, or would taxis be provided for them? Sounds like
this could start to get even more expensive; maybe that's why they
don't want people using this farce, er service.

I guess you'd just be told to take the next service to Wandsworth Road:
Train to Paddington, Underground to Victoria, then train to WWR.

Or Underground all the way to Victoria - the District line goes
direct.

Would a NR ticket from Ealing to WWR be valid for Ealing to Victoria on
the Underground?

MIG January 8th 09 06:35 PM

"Offramp" wrote:

I did read the posts at the other place and that was where I saw
"09:45 Ealing Broadway,
10:25 Kensington Olympia,
10:55 Wandsworth Road
Returns at:
13:15Wandsworth Road
13:45 Kensington Olympia
14:25 Ealing Broadway"
and I thought perhaps it stopped at K Olymp and took passengers.

I wonder why the bus needs to wait at Wandsworth Road for 2 hours+
instead of returning immediately? It seems a rather inefficient way to
provide a replacement service.

Enough time for a couple of pints in the badlands of south London,
surely...

My recommendations...
Tim Bobbinhttp://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/13/1385/Tim_Bobbin/Clapham

Bread and Roseshttp://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/14/1455/Bread_and_Roses/Clapham- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it's obviously intended to allow for days out if you want to do
Wandsworth Road properly.

[email protected] January 8th 09 09:12 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Interesting that you place Wandsworth Road station in Clapham - to me
it's in a kind of hinterland between Clapham, Battersea, Stockwell and
South Lambeth. We had a discussion about it a while ago when John
Rowland suggested it should be renamed if ELLX phase 2 ever happens so
as to try and avoid passengers getting confused and thinking it's in
Wandsworth, which it ain't - for that matter it's not in the Borough
of Wandsworth either, it's just the road to Wandsworth.

Are they going to rename Clapham Junction too in case they think it's in
Clapham? It's in Battersea of course.

Being named place Road means it's not in place at all, of course. The
station is located on Wandsworth Road, though.

It _was_ in the Metropolitan Borough of Wandsworth by the way. I think
Wandsworth is unique as the only long-standing local authority to be
sub-divided in a reorganisation. Clapham and Balham were transferred to
Lambeth while Battersea was merged with the rump Wandsworth.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tom Anderson January 8th 09 09:57 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, wrote:

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Interesting that you place Wandsworth Road station in Clapham - to me
it's in a kind of hinterland between Clapham, Battersea, Stockwell and
South Lambeth. We had a discussion about it a while ago when John
Rowland suggested it should be renamed if ELLX phase 2 ever happens so
as to try and avoid passengers getting confused and thinking it's in
Wandsworth, which it ain't - for that matter it's not in the Borough of
Wandsworth either, it's just the road to Wandsworth.

Being named place Road means it's not in place at all, of course.

Except for Whitechapel. But don't remind John of that!

tom

--
Osteoclasts = monsters from the DEEP -- Andrew

Tom Anderson January 8th 09 10:24 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Mizter T wrote:

On 8 Jan, 16:14, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Mizter T wrote:
On 8 Jan, 14:43, Offramp wrote:

On 8 Jan, 12:14, Mizter T wrote:

On 8 Jan, 10:14, Offramp wrote:

Weird stuff

[...]

Steve Dulieu's original.

Looking over that thread [1], it's striking how exactly the same points
were made by exactly the same people in this one. I like John's suggestion
of Larkhall as a placename. Someone should really start compiling a
gazetteer of alternative and lost London placenames. Ossulstone, anyone?

tom

[1] http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....eb21d114294971

--
Osteoclasts = monsters from the DEEP -- Andrew

[email protected] January 9th 09 10:54 AM

Stephen Furley wrote:

On 8 Jan, 13:58, "Recliner" wrote:

[...]

Yes,

Responsibility is with the "funding body" or something like that - so
nothing to do with XC. I do know that at least one other bid for XC
retained the Brighton trains, with the bid actually pointing out to
the DfT how this would save it the hassle and cost of going through
the closure process.

You can find all the details on the ORR website - which includes what
the DfT should have done, even in introducing the replacement bus, and
you can therefore work out what it hasn't done legally.

The crazy thing, as Barry Doe reported in Rail, and as I also got from
the ORR (same quote we reckon), is that the ORR reckons it can't tell
the DfT if it is breach of the Railways Act 2005 unless the DfT asks
it if it is in breach of the Act!! So in the week before the services
ended several of us rang the ORR (at that point the DfT hadn't even
contracted the bus operation) and said "Is the DfT about to breach the
Railway Act 2005" and we all got the reply that the ORR couldn't say
because the DfT hadn't asked it. When we pointed out the list of
things that the DfT had failed to do etc. the ORR basically said
"Nothing to do with us until the DfT refers the matter to us..."

In a conversation I had with the ORR they even said "If the DfT has
acted in the way you describe then it 'would' be acting illegally, but
we cant rule on this until the DfT asks us to.."

How crazy is that?

Tony

Mr Thant January 9th 09 11:47 AM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

On 9 Jan, 12:04, Charlie Hulme wrote:
If asked, would the ORR have ruled the bus service to
be legal? If so, why, since a rail passenger service
has still been withdrawn.

Why is it, at the very least, not required to run
between stations where the XC trains actually called?

Purely conjecture on my part, but I think the legal fiction is that
the XC service has been curtailed to a Wandsworth Road-Ealing Broadway
shuttle, which doesn't require any closure procedures. This new train
service (which obviously has never existed as a train) is currently
"temporarily" substituted by a bus, which again, doesn't require any
closure procedures.

Paul Corfield January 9th 09 07:06 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 03:54:59 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

Insane. I thought ORR were supposed to be "independent"?

How crazy is that?

About as crazy as it can get. This is simply stupid but I guess also
instructive given that the DfT have now revealed exactly how they can
utilise the legislation they carefully created for themselves to the
detriment of just about everybody.
--
Paul C

Ian Jelf January 12th 09 07:27 AM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
wrote:
In a conversation I had with the ORR they even said "If the DfT has
acted in the way you describe then it 'would' be acting illegally, but
we cant rule on this until the DfT asks us to.."

Insane. I thought ORR were supposed to be "independent"?

That's by no means unusual, sadly.

In an unrelated matter I once asked the (then) Disability Rights
Commission whether or not something was within the scope of the
Disability Discrimination Act. I was told that only a court could
answer that question, ie I would have to risk being prosecuted before
finding out whether it was illegal or not.

How crazy is that?

About as crazy as it can get.

That was my reaction.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Andrew Heenan January 12th 09 08:53 AM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

[still off topic]

"Ian Jelf" wrote :
In an unrelated matter I once asked the (then) Disability Rights
Commission whether or not something was within the scope of the Disability
Discrimination Act. I was told that only a court could answer that
question, ie I would have to risk being prosecuted before finding out
whether it was illegal or not.

That's been a feature of English law since approximately 1066
Laws are usually made for specific purposes, but the phrasing tends to pull
in related items that may require the courts interpretation as to whether or
not the law really applies in that case.

Virtually all new legislation has areas that need 'testing'. A good example
is the business of banks routinely overcharging customers as the mood takes
them - it's been tough to get a ruling because whenever someone tries to sue
under a recent act of parliament, the banks keep settling out of court (I
wonder why? Thieving *******s!).

And it's all cash in hand by the million for squads of lawyers ...
--

Andrew

"She plays the tuba.
It is the only instrument capable
of imitating a distress call."

Michael R N Dolbear January 12th 09 01:03 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

Ian Jelf wrote
[off topic]
In an unrelated matter I once asked the (then) Disability Rights
Commission whether or not something was within the scope of the
Disability Discrimination Act. I was told that only a court could
answer that question, ie I would have to risk being prosecuted before

finding out whether it was illegal or not.

No way of avoiding a court decision but you don't have to risk
prosecution.

Consider the court applications about what "assisted suicide" means and
whether buying a ticket to Switzerland is "aiding and abetting".

--
Mike D

Ian Jelf January 13th 09 09:47 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

In message 01c974bc$f7a79b00$LocalHost@default, Michael R N Dolbear
writes

Ian Jelf wrote
[off topic]
In an unrelated matter I once asked the (then) Disability Rights
Commission whether or not something was within the scope of the
Disability Discrimination Act. I was told that only a court could
answer that question, ie I would have to risk being prosecuted before

finding out whether it was illegal or not.

No way of avoiding a court decision but you don't have to risk
prosecution.

Given that it was a criminal matter, I can't see how I could have
"tested" anything without an attempted prosecution.

Consider the court applications about what "assisted suicide" means and
whether buying a ticket to Switzerland is "aiding and abetting".

Can you just go to a court and ask them to rule on something before
(possibly) committing an offence, then? I assume that's likely to be
an expensive process?

Ian Jelf January 13th 09 09:48 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

In message , Andrew Heenan
writes
[still off topic]

"Ian Jelf" wrote :
In an unrelated matter I once asked the (then) Disability Rights
Commission whether or not something was within the scope of the Disability
Discrimination Act. I was told that only a court could answer that
question, ie I would have to risk being prosecuted before finding out
whether it was illegal or not.

That's been a feature of English law since approximately 1066
Laws are usually made for specific purposes, but the phrasing tends to pull
in related items that may require the courts interpretation as to whether or
not the law really applies in that case.

Then the phrasing should be clearer.

Virtually all new legislation has areas that need 'testing'

Well, I for one didn't want to be the guinea pig.

. A good example
is the business of banks routinely overcharging customers as the mood takes
them - it's been tough to get a ruling because whenever someone tries to sue
under a recent act of parliament, the banks keep settling out of court (I
wonder why? Thieving *******s!).

Isn't that a Civil matter, though?

And it's all cash in hand by the million for squads of lawyers ...

Quite.

[email protected] January 13th 09 10:10 PM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

There is an update of the great article on the topic from
theticketcollector, it seems the DfT are looking to reinstate the
service!!!!

http://theticketcollector.wordpress....rvice-part-ii/

Michael R N Dolbear January 14th 09 10:54 AM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

Ian Jelf wrote

Michael R N Dolbear writes

Ian Jelf wrote
[off topic]
In an unrelated matter I once asked the (then) Disability Rights
Commission whether or not something was within the scope of the
Disability Discrimination Act. I was told that only a court

could
answer that question, ie I would have to risk being prosecuted

before

finding out whether it was illegal or not.

No way of avoiding a court decision but you don't have to risk
prosecution.

Given that it was a criminal matter, I can't see how I could have
"tested" anything without an attempted prosecution.

IANAL but there are ways. I think the below was a Judicial Review
against the Crown Prosecution Service / DPP on their prosecution
policy, pressure groups have sued to get a declaration that something
was illegal and should be considered for prosecution and in reverse if
someone was making threats to prosecute if you do something you can try
for a declaration that no offense will be committed.

Consider the court applications about what "assisted suicide" means

and
whether buying a ticket to Switzerland is "aiding and abetting".

Can you just go to a court and ask them to rule on something before
(possibly) committing an offence, then? I assume that's likely to

be
an expensive process?

The Courts don't like hypotheticals but since the ECHR/ Human Rights
Act 1998 and indeed before under the common law a sufficiently unclear
law may not be enforcable. If the point looks important you may be able
to get a "pro bono" lawyer to do it free or cheap ("Freedom to cycle",
below).

Some coverage at

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/lawreports

Google [ "Joshua Rozenberg" site:telegraph.co.uk] for a selection,
example, on topic for the NG.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...uarozenberg/27
12798/Do-you-need-police-permission-to-cycle-down-the-streets-now.html

(Whether a regular cycle ride with no fixed route is a "procession"
that requires notification to the police).

--
Mike D

Offramp January 14th 09 10:54 AM

wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5462099.ece

Did anything happen yesterday (Tuesday)?
Was there a flood of unwashed fighting to board at Ealing Broadway?

Andrew Heenan January 14th 09 11:38 AM

Ealing to Clapham "parliamentary" bus

wrote ...
There is an update of the great article on the topic from
theticketcollector, it seems the DfT are looking to reinstate the
service!!!!
http://theticketcollector.wordpress....rvice-part-ii/

No, they're not.
They're looking to remove the story from the news. That's all.

If they say they intend to reinstate (with no specifics at all), who can
prove them liars?

£15 to a charity of your choice (not Boris), says nothing *significant* will
happen for a year or more (probably much more, but bets go stale!), though
there may be a few more 'hints' as the story gently dies.

It's sound policy to start from the assumption that the DfT is lying, until
you get evidence to the contrary. Much safer than assuming they speak the
truth. These are the people who ordered FGW to return a dozen 158s to the
lessor, then blamed GWT* when the service collapsed. And there's 357 other
examples of micromismanagment, all 100% denied by the DfT, even to
parliamenary committees.
--

Andrew
"If A is success in life, then A = x + y + z.
Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut." ~ Albert Einstein

*But don't take it that I'm defending FGW; they're a bunch of idiots, too.
But on that one point, DfT is to blame.