Old January 21st 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New LU toilet map

Peter Lawrence wrote:

I question the tolets at Barking - I recall that the only ones were
in the burger bar and strictly for their customers only.

They are on the overbridge - on the left after you have passed through
the ticket barriers, i.e. heading towards platform 8.

--
John Ray

Old January 21st 09, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Lawrence
writes
I question the tolets at Barking - I recall that the only ones were
in the burger bar and strictly for their customers only.

There are public toilet available behind the barriers open until 10pm
daily (they were opened around 2 years ago). DFM.

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old January 22nd 09, 05:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:51:26 +0000, Paul G
wrote:

In message , Peter Lawrence
writes
I question the tolets at Barking - I recall that the only ones were
in the burger bar and strictly for their customers only.

There are public toilet available behind the barriers open until 10pm
daily (they were opened around 2 years ago). DFM.

Thankyou. On reflection it is probably three years since I was there!
--
Peter Lawrence
Old January 23rd 09, 06:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Thu, 22 Jan
2009 18:06:50 in uk.transport.london, Peter Lawrence
writes
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:51:26 +0000, Paul G
wrote:

In message , Peter Lawrence
writes
I question the tolets at Barking - I recall that the only ones were
in the burger bar and strictly for their customers only.

There are public toilet available behind the barriers open until 10pm
daily (they were opened around 2 years ago). DFM.

Thankyou. On reflection it is probably three years since I was there!

Thanks for the information on Barking.
I was out in Metroland, yesterday.
Uxbridge toilets are closed during refurbishment.
Ickenham FM toilets are locked 247 outside the gateline, but available
on customer request. Some parts of the network seem to think
vandalism/anti-social behaviour is a reason for permanent service
closure.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old January 23rd 09, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Jan, 07:06, Walter Briscoe wrote:

(snip)

I was out in Metroland, yesterday.
Uxbridge toilets are closed during refurbishment.
Ickenham FM toilets are locked 247 outside the gateline, but available
on customer request. Some parts of the network seem to think
vandalism/anti-social behaviour is a reason for permanent service
closure.

There's a daft arrangement at South Harrow station (which is broadly
speaking Metroland) - there's an LU public toilet within the station
building but it's entered from outside i.e. from the street (actually
next to the mini-bus station there). Entry requires a special token,
which can be obtained from the ticket office for I think 20p. The
problem being that the ticket office is one of those that is closed in
the middle of the day - when I was there, despite the ticket office
technically being closed an old boy had successfully coaxed whoever
was in the office to make an exception and sell him and and his
grandson tickets, so I quickly jumped in after they'd finished and
extracted a token from them. But a rather less than ideal situation,
it must be said. The token system presumably exists to stop people
from trying to break into the token receptacle that's outside next to
the toilet doors - if it was filled with money then it would obviously
be a rather more attractive target.

Old January 23rd 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes
In message of Thu, 22 Jan
2009 18:06:50 in uk.transport.london, Peter Lawrence
writes
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:51:26 +0000, Paul G
wrote:

In message , Peter Lawrence
writes
I question the tolets at Barking - I recall that the only ones were
in the burger bar and strictly for their customers only.

There are public toilet available behind the barriers open until 10pm
daily (they were opened around 2 years ago). DFM.

Thankyou. On reflection it is probably three years since I was there!

Thanks for the information on Barking.
I was out in Metroland, yesterday.
Uxbridge toilets are closed during refurbishment.
Ickenham FM toilets are locked 247 outside the gateline, but available
on customer request. Some parts of the network seem to think
vandalism/anti-social behaviour is a reason for permanent service
closure.

That seems to happen at Perivale.

On the other hand, at Harrow on the Hill and Alperton I've found very
helpful staff, even when loos were closed. In fact, those two places
stick in my mind as where I've received "service with a smile" from LU
staff.

Oh add West Ruislip to that, too. And North Ealing. At various times
over the years staff have opened toilets there just for me/us. The one
at North Ealing actually let me into the ladies' loo, once!

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old January 24th 09, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes

Ickenham FM toilets are locked 247 outside the gateline, but
available on customer request. Some parts of the network seem to
think vandalism/anti-social behaviour is a reason for permanent
service closure.

That seems to happen at Perivale.

On the other hand, at Harrow on the Hill and Alperton I've found very
helpful staff, even when loos were closed. In fact, those two places
stick in my mind as where I've received "service with a smile" from LU
staff.

Oh add West Ruislip to that, too. And North Ealing. At various
times over the years staff have opened toilets there just for me/us.
The one at North Ealing actually let me into the ladies' loo, once!

The toilets at Bank are closed at weekends. And they're run by the
council so TfL staff can't even open them for you.

Old January 25th 09, 08:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , solar penguin
writes

Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes

Ickenham FM toilets are locked 247 outside the gateline, but
available on customer request. Some parts of the network seem to
think vandalism/anti-social behaviour is a reason for permanent
service closure.

That seems to happen at Perivale.

On the other hand, at Harrow on the Hill and Alperton I've found very
helpful staff, even when loos were closed. In fact, those two places
stick in my mind as where I've received "service with a smile" from LU
staff.

Oh add West Ruislip to that, too. And North Ealing. At various
times over the years staff have opened toilets there just for me/us.
The one at North Ealing actually let me into the ladies' loo, once!

The toilets at Bank are closed at weekends. And they're run by the
council so TfL staff can't even open them for you.

Interestingly, that wasn't always the case. I clearly remember taking
a group there to use them one Sunday, although this could have been up
to 5 years ago.

Usually in The City, things move in the other direction these days, with
a trend towards more being open on Sundays than away from it.

Old January 25th 09, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Sat, 24 Jan 2009
23:06:49 in uk.transport.london, solar penguin
writes

Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , Walter Briscoe
writes

Ickenham FM toilets are locked 247 outside the gateline, but
available on customer request. Some parts of the network seem to
think vandalism/anti-social behaviour is a reason for permanent
service closure.

That seems to happen at Perivale.

On the other hand, at Harrow on the Hill and Alperton I've found very
helpful staff, even when loos were closed. In fact, those two places
stick in my mind as where I've received "service with a smile" from LU
staff.

Oh add West Ruislip to that, too. And North Ealing. At various
times over the years staff have opened toilets there just for me/us.
The one at North Ealing actually let me into the ladies' loo, once!

The toilets at Bank are closed at weekends. And they're run by the
council so TfL staff can't even open them for you.

The City of London is unlikely to be impressed by being described as
"the council".
My record says "outside gateline, by exit 3, 08.00-18.15 M-F,
10.00-16.00 S&S".
The map marks Bank with a dagger symbol for which the key says: "Toilet
not managed by London Underground. You may be charged for using the
facilities. Ask staff for information."

The toilets at Bank are free. It did - I can't say it does - have the
problem that the opening hours are only shown when open. Westminster's
Piccadilly Circus facilities have the same problem. The Monument
facilities - underground at the bottom of Gracechurch Street - are not
and should be daggered as the City runs them, too. I did not flag such
problems with the map in my email of 12 January for which I am bursting
for a reply.

Alternatives include Wetherspoon's The Green Man, No. 1 Poultry which is
open Mon–Fri 7.30am–midnight; Sat/Sun closed and Liverpool Street "D
with RADAR in mainline station next to platform 10; FM downstairs
opposite platform 10 0.30. FM McDonalds on left outside station after
going up escalator opposite platform 3."

I am conscious that my information is biased and incomplete. e.g. I do
not know when toilets are open at Liverpool Street. It has never been an
issue for me.

I recommend a RADAR key for anyone p***ing (travelling) around London.
They can be bought by anyone and VAT free by anyone with a disability
for Customs purposes - wider than the Freedom Pass criteria. I bought
mine from http://www.radar.org.uk/radarwebsite/tabid/41/default.aspx.
I paid 3.50 + VAT as I did not realise my disability allowed exemption.
I would not recommend the toilet location book at a tenner as its
addresses do not include post codes. Service is slow. It is possible to
buy cheaper at EBay, etc. but why bother for such a small sum which, I
trust, contributes to extending the scheme.

Can I try the group with a supplementary question?
I chased TfL when I found that some of its accessible toilets had locks
which are not RADAR-enabled. I was told they would be corrected before
2009.

Affected stations:

Harrow & Wealdstone in ticket hall on right; no RADAR; next to platform 1 northbound.
Hounslow East inside gateline on right, no RADAR or generic access
Kilburn D platform 2 southbound no RADAR; FM on right in ticket hall 0.20 slot access
Pinner No RADAR; all on platform 2 southbound
Stratford BDFM by escalator next to LO platform 2 - no RADAR; D with RADAR by escalator next to LO platform 1
and
Willesden Green Before gateline in ticket hall no RADAR

My information on Stratford is obsolete since LO platforms moved.

The question is: are all the wheelchair-accessible toilets at those
stations freely accessible or accessible with a RADAR key?
A bonus will point out the toilets are in places which are not,
themselves, wheelchair accessible.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old January 25th 09, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe wrote:

The City of London is unlikely to be impressed by being described as
"the council".
My record says "outside gateline, by exit 3, 08.00-18.15 M-F,
10.00-16.00 S&S".

Ok. Thanks. I've only ever tried to use them before 10am on weekends,
and didn't know they opened later.