Old January 18th 09, 06:37 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default The Tories and Heathrow

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Arthur Figgis wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

Maybe we could do something similar - fill in the whole Thames Estuary?

I think i was pimping this idea a while ago. I'd been looking at the
various epic works the Dutch did, particularly the building of the
IJsselmeer, and it occurred to me that we could do something similar.
Not just to the Thames estuary - to the entire Channel, between East
Anglia and the Netherlands. As with the IJ, you'd not totally close
up the space, but leave large canals running along the line of the
existing coast (some of it, at least), so that there was still access
to the ports (and to hydraulically separate the polders from the
existing land).

This would not only create land for housing in the overcrowded
southeast, as well as a huge amount of agricultural land, but enable
direct rail links to northern Europe (including a Felixstowe -
Rotterdam freight line), provide opportunities to create huge amounts
of ecologically vital wetlands, and effectively eliminate the flood
and erosion risk to the Thames estuary and East Anglia. We could even
build a new home for the Trident fleet at the same time, to shut the
jocks up.

I shall write to the environment secretary immediately. Where can one
buy a pen with green ink these days?

It's been suggested before!

http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/200...of-doggerland/

Curses! This is just like that time i invented savoury doughnuts only to
find out that the Chinese had been making them for hundreds of years!

What a ****er.

--
Corporate society looks after everything. All it asks of anyone, all it
has ever asked of anyone, is that they do not interfere with management

Old January 18th 09, 09:41 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Andrew Heenan wrote:
"Recliner" wrote
You ve got to hand it to those Tories, first they play the environment
card to stop expansion at Heathrow whilst Boris goes off and builds
another airport in the Thames flood plain.

Not on the flood plain, but on an artificial island, like Hong Kong.

They could build a peak-hours only airport at Goodwin Sands.

Sorry, I meant low tide only.

Does mentioning Goodwin Sands end the thread?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 18th 09, 10:06 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at
10:41:12 on Sun, 18 Jan 2009, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
They could build a peak-hours only airport at Goodwin Sands.
Sorry, I meant low tide only.

Does mentioning Goodwin Sands end the thread?

Only if you remove one of the O's.
Old January 18th 09, 01:02 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote in
et:

Does mentioning Goodwin Sands end the thread?

Is that Inspector Goodwin Sands?
Old January 19th 09, 06:54 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
10:41:12 on Sun, 18 Jan 2009, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
They could build a peak-hours only airport at Goodwin Sands.
Sorry, I meant low tide only.

Does mentioning Goodwin Sands end the thread?

Only if you remove one of the O's.

And that can lead to all kinds of trouble.