London Banter

-   -   How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7484-how-widespread-usage-mind-gap.html)

THC January 22nd 09 08:26 AM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

Batman55 January 22nd 09 08:34 AM

"THC" wrote in message
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

It is regularly used on trains entering Victoria Eastern. Strangely, since
we are on the train, it says "mind the gap between the platform and the
train". Wrong way round!

MaxB

David Bennetts January 22nd 09 09:50 AM

"THC" wrote in message
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

It is used in various places worldwide, including Sydney. Though apparently
in the USA you don't mind it, you watch it.
See http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Mind_the_gap
For the Sydney example see
http://www.cityrail.info/training_ru...ning_rules.jsp

I was intrigued when visiting New York a couple of years back with the "gap
filler" arrangements at South Ferry subway station, which was on an
extremely sharp curve and could only handle the front half of a train. I
believe the station has just been rebuilt to eliminate this curve. See
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/stations?6:2678

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Roland Perry January 22nd 09 09:55 AM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

In message
, at
01:26:12 on Thu, 22 Jan 2009, THC remarked:
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

On the Midland Mainline there are several stations where the guards
announce "mind the gap between the train and the platform edge".

Recliner[_2_] January 22nd 09 10:12 AM

"THC" wrote in message

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

I'd say it was grossly over-used on LU. It's used at many station with
straight platforms and no significant gap, which means regular
passengers simply filter it out, even though there are a few stations
where you really do need to watch out (eg, the Central Bank platforms).

Grant January 22nd 09 10:19 AM

Roland Perry wrote:

On the Midland Mainline there are several stations where the guards
announce "mind the gap between the train and the platform edge".

And "mind the gap" is painted on the platform edge at Market Harborough.

Mind you, less of a gap and more of a jump. There must be 18" vertical
between step and platform. How come the two are so far out of alignment?

Roland Perry January 22nd 09 10:28 AM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

In message , at 11:19:53 on
Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Grant remarked:
On the Midland Mainline there are several stations where the guards
announce "mind the gap between the train and the platform edge".

And "mind the gap" is painted on the platform edge at Market Harborough.

Mind you, less of a gap and more of a jump. There must be 18" vertical
between step and platform. How come the two are so far out of alignment?

I presume the track has been canted over in recent times, to facilitate
fast through-running.

MIG January 22nd 09 12:11 PM

On 22 Jan, 11:28, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:19:53 on
Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Grant remarked:

On the Midland Mainline there are several stations where the guards
announce "mind the gap between the train and the platform edge".

And "mind the gap" is painted on the platform edge at Market Harborough.

Mind you, less of a gap and more of a jump. There must be 18" vertical
between step and platform. How come the two are so far out of alignment?

I presume the track has been canted over in recent times, to facilitate
fast through-running.

Platform 2 at Lewisham has such huge gap in places that you have to
leap over it. I don't know how the elderly manage it.

There is no announcements, but lights under the platfrom come on when
a train approaches.

MIG January 22nd 09 12:13 PM

On 22 Jan, 09:34, "Batman55" wrote:
"THC" wrote in message

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

It is regularly used on trains entering Victoria Eastern. Strangely, since
we are on the train, it says "mind the gap between the platform and the
train". Wrong way round!

I was on a Southeastern train passing through the Brixton area, on its
way to Victoria, when the announcement said "We will shortly be
arriving at Cannon Street. Please mind the gap ... etc".

It was a very big gap.

Ian F. January 22nd 09 01:43 PM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

"MIG" wrote in message

It was a very big gap.

I've heard it said, just before he went out to lunch, by the manager of a
well-known high-street clothing store to an underling.

Ian

Paul Scott January 22nd 09 02:50 PM

"THC" wrote in message
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

A repetitive 'Mind the Gap' as per for example the Waterloo Bakerloo
platforms is rare, but certainly in the SWT area, 'Mind the gap' is an
integral part of platform announcements at a fair number of stations, as is
'Mind the step down from the train' in on train announcements. Certainly
occurs widely enough not to be considered unusual.

Paul S

[email protected] January 22nd 09 06:08 PM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message
,
at 01:26:12 on Thu, 22 Jan 2009, THC
remarked:
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham

Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

On the Midland Mainline there are several stations where the guards
announce "mind the gap between the train and the platform edge".

That seems to be a general line on National Rail lines now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Graculus January 22nd 09 06:09 PM

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"THC" wrote in message
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

A repetitive 'Mind the Gap' as per for example the Waterloo Bakerloo
platforms is rare, but certainly in the SWT area, 'Mind the gap' is an
integral part of platform announcements at a fair number of stations, as
is 'Mind the step down from the train' in on train announcements.
Certainly occurs widely enough not to be considered unusual.

SWT are obsessed with announcements all the time on and off the train. It
gets really annoying (though they'll claim they have to keep telling you to
read the safety notices.)

Jeremy Parker January 22nd 09 06:28 PM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

In article ,
(Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message
,
at 01:26:12 on Thu, 22 Jan 2009, THC
remarked:
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm
pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham

Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step
off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples
of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the
UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

I seem to recall reading that some Americanisms came over with
Chicago financier Yerkes, who founded a London tube/bus empire at the
beginning of the 20th century, after having to leave Chicago under a
cloud, because of something to do with financing the Chicago El'.

Wasn't there one of his minions, an ex and restored Brit' from New
Jersey, who became Lord Stanley?

Jeremy Parker

[email protected] January 22nd 09 06:52 PM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

(eg, the Central Bank platforms).

As well as the bends, ISTR the west end of the westbound platform
drops down, leaving the large vertical gap that I noticed on my way
towards the floor of the carriage, having tripped over the step...

Bob Harris January 22nd 09 07:56 PM

"Graculus" wrote in message
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"THC" wrote in message
[...]

e.g. at Woking. They will have a routine announcement such as "Weekend
travel information from South West Trains..." which goes on at length
detailing what buses etc. you will need at the weekend. However, if a train
comes in before it has finished (quite frequently at Woking) it will cut
that off and come straight in with "Platform 4 for the xx:xx....". Then a
few seconds later you will be treated to the weekend travel information
again (from the start). However, if a train then comes in.... you get the
picture.

Daniel Smith January 22nd 09 10:38 PM

Grant wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
On the Midland Mainline there are several stations where the guards
announce "mind the gap between the train and the platform edge".

And "mind the gap" is painted on the platform edge at Market Harborough.

Mind you, less of a gap and more of a jump. There must be 18" vertical
between step and platform. How come the two are so far out of alignment?

chester has the words painted on the edge (you can see to varients, one
saying "Please mind the gap "and the other just "mind the gap" one has
been blacked out and the other written on top but i cant remember which
way round,

also on the mml routes the guard often announces it as "please take care
when leaving the train and mind the gap between the train and the
platform edge"

[email protected] January 23rd 09 03:55 AM

On Jan 22, 10:26*am, THC wrote:
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

Yes it is indeed used elsewhere. On the New York subway a derivative
of "Mind the gap" in the form of "Mind da gap mon" is often used. Also
to altert pasengers to the iminent closure of the doors "Stand clear a
da clozin dawz, pleeze" is usually announced.

Paul

John Dennis January 23rd 09 04:52 AM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

For the Sydney example seehttp://www.cityrail.info/training_rules/training_rules.jsp

I was intrigued when visiting New York a couple of years back with the "gap
filler" arrangements at South Ferry subway station, which was on an
extremely sharp curve and could only handle the front half of a train. *I
believe the station has just been rebuilt to eliminate this curve. *Seehttp://www.nycsubway.org/perl/stations?6:2678

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Do they actually make an announcement in Sydney? I've never heard it,
but then again I am an infrequent visitor.

John

David Hansen January 23rd 09 07:10 AM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:56:04 GMT someone who may be "Bob Harris"
wrote this:-

e.g. at Woking. They will have a routine announcement such as "Weekend
travel information from South West Trains..." which goes on at length
detailing what buses etc. you will need at the weekend. However, if a train
comes in before it has finished (quite frequently at Woking) it will cut
that off and come straight in with "Platform 4 for the xx:xx....".

If they would do the same thing with television sets displaying
so-called security messages, engineering information and, very
occasionally, where the next train is going to that would be great.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Paul Terry[_2_] January 23rd 09 05:10 PM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

In message , Roland Perry
writes

I presume the track has been canted over in recent times, to facilitate
fast through-running.

Going into London on SWT this morning, I noticed "mind the gap"
announcements at every station after Putney. I suspect this results from
switching over the fast and slow lines a few years back - the platforms
on the old up slow line have all been visibly raised at some time in the
past, but those on the new slow line (old up fast) have not, leaving
quite a gap.

At most stations it was a standard "mind the gap between the train and
the platform", but at Queens Road Battersea it was subtly different:
"mind the step down from the train to the platform".
--
Paul Terry

naked_draughtsman[_2_] January 23rd 09 07:52 PM

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:26:12 -0800, THC wrote:

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction -
the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off the
train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of seeing it
written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK. I'd be grateful
for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

The automated announcements on class 175s always used to say "When
leaving the train, please mind the gap between the train and the platform
edge" at all stations. I'm not sure if they still do.

peter

[email protected] January 23rd 09 08:43 PM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
writes

I presume the track has been canted over in recent times, to
facilitate fast through-running.

Going into London on SWT this morning, I noticed "mind the gap"
announcements at every station after Putney. I suspect this results
from switching over the fast and slow lines a few years back - the
platforms on the old up slow line have all been visibly raised at
some time in the past, but those on the new slow line (old up fast)
have not, leaving quite a gap.

At most stations it was a standard "mind the gap between the train
and the platform", but at Queens Road Battersea it was subtly
different: "mind the step down from the train to the platform".

I don't think the up line designation has ever been quite as you say but
it's academic at Queens Road Battersea as there has only been one up
platform in use for many years.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] January 23rd 09 08:43 PM

(Jeremy Parker) wrote:

I seem to recall reading that some Americanisms came over with
Chicago financier Yerkes, who founded a London tube/bus empire at
the beginning of the 20th century, after having to leave Chicago
under a cloud, because of something to do with financing the
Chicago El'.

Wasn't there one of his minions, an ex and restored Brit' from New
Jersey, who became Lord Stanley?

You mean Albert Henry Stanley (1874-1948), who became Lord Ashfield. Born
in Derby but his early career was in the USA, including Detroit and New
Jersey.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Alan[_3_] January 23rd 09 09:24 PM

"naked_draughtsman" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:26:12 -0800, THC wrote:

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction -
the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off the
train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of seeing it
written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK. I'd be grateful
for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

The automated announcements on class 175s always used to say "When
leaving the train, please mind the gap between the train and the platform
edge" at all stations. I'm not sure if they still do.

SPT units do the same thing - Think the message is along the lines of "We
are now approaching Carntyne, please mind the gap when alighting from this
train" It took about 3 iterations of the announcement software to get to
that..... The message is read at every station, regardless of the size of
the gap.

Unfortunately I'd become de-sensitised to the constant reminders to mind the
gap when I visited Bristol TM on a 150. Please mind the yawning chasm
between the train and P3 would have been more appropriate.

TimB January 23rd 09 11:08 PM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

They were saying 'Mind the gap' in Portuguese on the Rio de Janeiro
metro yesterday.
tim

Neil Williams January 24th 09 09:53 AM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:52:01 -0600, naked_draughtsman
wrote:

The automated announcements on class 175s always used to say "When
leaving the train, please mind the gap between the train and the platform
edge" at all stations. I'm not sure if they still do.

The 175s now have an odd new setup, including a slightly
Eastern-European-sounding "tune" before some announcements. They also
don't seem to include the request stops in the list of stations,
getting away with it by saying "the following principal stations".

Surprisingly, the announcements are not even in part in Welsh.

Desiros mention to mind the gap, as I recall. They also *have* a
large gap in the announcement itself if there is a long list of
stations for some reason.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Tim Fenton January 24th 09 11:07 AM

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

The 175s now have an odd new setup, including a slightly
Eastern-European-sounding "tune" before some announcements. They also
don't seem to include the request stops in the list of stations,
getting away with it by saying "the following principal stations".

The jingle does sound a bit home made. And you can hear the joins in the
station list.

Surprisingly, the announcements are not even in part in Welsh.

They've gone to great pains to have the end of coach displays show
Cryw/Crewe and the like, but for some reason they miss the Welsh translation
of Abergavenny (Y Fenni) - which is shown on the platform signs there.

--
Tim
http://tim-fenton.fotopic.net

[email protected] January 24th 09 11:51 AM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

In article
,
(TimB) wrote:

They were saying 'Mind the gap' in Portuguese on the Rio de Janeiro
metro yesterday.

You're going to have to give us what they said in Portuguese now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Arthur Figgis January 24th 09 10:06 PM

TimB wrote:
They were saying 'Mind the gap' in Portuguese on the Rio de Janeiro
metro yesterday.
tim

They were displaying
PLEASE LISEN O ANOUNCGMGNTS.....?
on my Southeastern train this afternoon.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

pedan3 January 25th 09 12:19 AM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:26:12 -0800 (PST), THC
wrote:

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

THC

Further British Railways linguistic aberrations:

"Station stop" as in: Stevenage is your next station stop. Either
station or stop would be sufficient.

"My name is xxx and I am your team leader." I bought a ticket; I
didn't join a team.

"Vestible ends". This, I imagine, is related to the word 'vestibule'
but pronounced differently. One could argue that priests are
vestible, or vestable, but whether their ends are is another question.

I suspect that, if train guards or whatever they are nowadays were to
make announcements sincerely in their own words rather than reading
out a script in a very artificial tone, people might pay more
attention to what's said. And perhaps even not have mobile phone
conversations in the carriages where they're requested not to.

David of Broadway January 25th 09 12:39 AM

David Bennetts wrote:

I was intrigued when visiting New York a couple of years back with the "gap
filler" arrangements at South Ferry subway station, which was on an
extremely sharp curve and could only handle the front half of a train. I
believe the station has just been rebuilt to eliminate this curve. See
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/stations?6:2678

It has not been rebuilt. Rather, a new two-track terminal station has
been built essentially underneath it. The new station has not yet
opened, but when it does open, the old station will be decommissioned.

The old trackage will still be used, as it provides a valuable track
connection between the West Side IRT (1/2/3) and East Side IRT (4/5/6).
It also has an inner loop track, which only connects to the East Side
and is used to turn East Side trains that terminate at Bowling Green
(mostly off-peak 5 trains). The inner loop has its own platform, which
was used until the 70's by a shuttle train to Bowling Green.

Gap fillers remain in use at Union Square (southbound 4/5/6 platform)
and at Times Square (shuttle). And there will still be one station that
can only accommodate half of a train: 145 St on the 3.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

David of Broadway January 25th 09 01:35 AM

THC wrote:
My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

I forget where exactly in Paris I heard this (I think it might have been
the MP89 on the Line 14 "Météor"), but the automated announcements
translate "Attention à la marche en descandant du train" as "Please mind
the gap between the train and the platform."

There are certainly no references to minding gaps in New York, or, I'd
guess, anywhere else in the United States. This is the closest we have:
http://www.mta.info/lirr/safety/WatchtheGap.html
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

[email protected] January 25th 09 06:38 AM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

On Jan 25, 2:39*am, David of Broadway
wrote:
David Bennetts wrote:
[...]

Ah! Do i spot a fellow fan of the NY subway? Your knowledge is far
more encyclopedic than mine so thank you for that thorough
explanation. BTW photos of the new South Ferry station can be seen
here

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/foru...1b091& t=7597

Paul

solar penguin January 25th 09 07:47 AM

pedan3 wrote:

Further British Railways linguistic aberrations:

"Station stop" as in: Stevenage is your next station stop. Either
station or stop would be sufficient.

Not necessarily. The train could pass through the next station without
stopping on its way to Stevenage. Or it could stop at a red signal just
outside Stevenage.

David Horne, _the_ chancellor January 25th 09 08:51 AM

THC wrote:

My wife wants to know whether "Mind the Gap" as used on London
Underground is used on railways, metros outside London (I'm pretty
certain that announcements are made on Platform 17 at Clapham Junction
- the phrase is certainly picked out in white paint as you step off
the train) but for the life of me I can't think of any examples of
seeing it written or hearing it on PA systems elsewhere in the UK.
I'd be grateful for any examples, o wise ones!

It's used frequently at Manchester Oxford Road. I noticed it in
particular last night on a transpennine service because the tone changed
so abruptly from the usual 'arriving at station X' announcement. I'm
pretty much inured to the constant (mostly) pointless announcements on
trains these days that I switch off to them.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)

Neil Williams January 25th 09 01:03 PM

How widespread is usage of "Mind the Gap"?

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:07:54 -0000, "Tim Fenton"
wrote:

The jingle does sound a bit home made.

It has more than a passing resemblance to the "internationale trein"
jingle at Schiphol.

Neil

--
Neil Williams