Old January 22nd 09, 11:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Railcards 'valid until:'

"J. Chisholm" wrote
Railcards say 'valid until:'
Is it reasonable to assume they can be used on the date stated?

Yes, I believe so. I bought my railcard on the 11th April 2008 and it says
'Valid until 10 APR 09', implying 'up to and including'.

Incidentally, the print quality on my railcard is so poor that the number
cannot now be read. On Tuesday, this prevented the LU ticket office at
King's Cross St. Pancras from enabling my Oyster card to benefit from the
lower daily cap, as loading the railcard number is apparently a key part of
the process.

Old January 23rd 09, 02:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 23 Jan, 00:05, "John Salmon" wrote:

"J. Chisholm" wrote

Railcards say 'valid until:'
Is it reasonable to assume they can be used on the date stated?

Yes, I believe so. I bought my railcard on the 11th April 2008 and it says
'Valid until 10 APR 09', implying 'up to and including'.

Incidentally, the print quality on my railcard is so poor that the number
cannot now be read. On Tuesday, this prevented the LU ticket office at
King's Cross St. Pancras from enabling my Oyster card to benefit from the
lower daily cap, as loading the railcard number is apparently a key part of
the process.

Interesting. What happens when Railcards are replaced because of loss,
theft or because the print has worn off or similar damage - is the
replacement Railcard issued with a new number or with the same number
as the old one?

*If* it is a different number, and *if* the Railcard number is loaded
on the Oyster card, then an Oyster card loaded with the discount would
no longer correlate with a replacement Railcard.

Of course just because the LU ticket office needs to record the number
of the Railcard does not mean that number is subsequently stored on
the Oyster card itself, it may simply be stored on the Oyster central
database along with the other information for that particular Oyster
card. The only thing that *has* to be stored on the Oyster card itself
is the expiry date of the Railcard.