Old January 29th 09, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU redundancies

Chickens coming home to roost after all those unreasonable pay
settlements. Unfortunately it looks like the people who got those fat
pay rises arn't the ones who're going to suffer.

B2003

Old January 29th 09, 05:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 29, 4:47�pm, wrote:

Chickens coming home to roost after all those unreasonable pay
settlements. Unfortunately it looks like the people who got those fat
pay rises arn't the ones who're going to suffer.

B2003

'Bob Crow, general secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union
(RMT), said: "Any attempt to impose compulsory redundancies among our
members or to undermine their terms and conditions will be met with a
ballot for industrial action." '

Good on you Bob, that will just add a few more to the list of
redundancies!

Marc.
Old January 29th 09, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29 Jan, 19:55, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:47:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Chickens coming home to roost after all those unreasonable pay
settlements. Unfortunately it looks like the people who got those fat
pay rises arn't the ones who're going to suffer.

FWIW no front-line staff are going, and they are the ones that who
really seem to have the clout to negotiate better pay deals as opposed
to those in admin posts. I don't know why I say this as I suspect
it'll just incite you further.

I thought you'd be unable to resist a comment or two. Not quite as
vehement as I expected but close.

Paul, I'm tempted to ask all sorts of questions that I rather suspect
you can't really address, at least not on a public forum - so I'll ask
this one instead. What is the thinking behind these cuts - is it in
expectation of lower passenger numbers and hence lower revenue
courtesy of the recession, or is it part of a (or should I say the)
wider cost-cutting exercise across TfL - and if so has this budget-
crunch been brought on by Crossrail or are the factors at work rather
wider than that?
Old January 29th 09, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:47:43 -0800 (PST),

Chickens coming home to roost after all those unreasonable pay
settlements. Unfortunately it looks like the people who got those fat
pay rises arn't the ones who're going to suffer.

Its the passengers will suffer - they can't cut that many jobs without
some tasks just not getting done any more.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old January 29th 09, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:20:10 GMT, "Peter Lawrence"
wrote:

Its the passengers will suffer - they can't cut that many jobs without
some tasks just not getting done any more.

Do companies and other organisations not realise that by jumping on
the redundancies bandwagon (aka burying bad news) they make the
recession all the worse?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old January 30th 09, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in news:49822ae5.6325519
@europe.news.astraweb.com:

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:47:43 -0800 (PST),

Chickens coming home to roost after all those unreasonable pay
settlements. Unfortunately it looks like the people who got those fat
pay rises arn't the ones who're going to suffer.

Its the passengers will suffer - they can't cut that many jobs without
some tasks just not getting done any more.

You are Bob Crow, AICMFP.
Old January 30th 09, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Paul, I'm tempted to ask all sorts of questions that I rather suspect
you can't really address, at least not on a public forum - so I'll ask
this one instead. What is the thinking behind these cuts - is it in
expectation of lower passenger numbers and hence lower revenue courtesy
of the recession, or is it part of a (or should I say the) wider
cost-cutting exercise across TfL - and if so has this budget- crunch
been brought on by Crossrail or are the factors at work rather wider
than that?

I have to admit to being baffled as to the logic behind the cuts, too.
Old January 30th 09, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Chickens coming home to roost after all those unreasonable pay
settlements. Unfortunately it looks like the people who got those fat
pay rises arn't the ones who're going to suffer.

I wonder if the nasty little fascists will rejoice in others' redundancy so
much when they lose their own jobs.
But I suppose they don't work anyway ...

I don't work for TfL, because despite the 'unreasonable pay seettlements',
the pay is pretty bloody low - and TfL staff have to actually work, not sit
around looking at porn all day.

But I travel by TfL - and I don't rejoice that they are being targetted -
not least because travelling will get worse.
--
Andrew

"When 'Do no Evil' has been understood, then learn the harder, braver rule,
Do Good." ~ Arthur Guiterman

Old January 30th 09, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

If the unions called a week-long strike, even tying it in with a week-
long nation rail strike to protest against franchises cutting jobs,
would that cost the companies concerned more in lost revenue than they
save by these probably needless redundancies? I would support Bob Crow
and his union cronies for once if they took strike action, as I
believe they represent the workers of a public service organisation,
that should be run as such, not as a company that employs people at
the behest of shareholders, consultants and the whimsy of the economic
climate.

Neill

Old January 30th 09, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 30 Jan, 11:03, Neill wrote:
If the unions called a week-long strike, even tying it in with a week-
long nation rail strike to protest against franchises cutting jobs,
would that cost the companies concerned more in lost revenue than they
save by these probably needless redundancies? I would support Bob Crow
and his union cronies for once if they took strike action, as I
believe they represent the workers of a public service organisation,
that should be run as such, not as a company that employs people at
the behest of shareholders, consultants and the whimsy of the economic
climate.

Neill

Apparently the BBC is suffering because "the growth of households will
slow". They budgeted, not based on the current number of license fee
payers, but on the projected number based on the housebuilding boom.

If TFL budgeted on overly optimistic future expectations, such as fare
increases (which seem politically more unlikely in a deflationary
economy), and increase in passenger numbers (when they're actually
going to be decreasing), the will have a big budget shortfall for the
next few years. Had they budgeted on this years figures, and next
years agreed price rise, without assuming anything in the future, they
should have been ok.

The long distance TOCs will be hit by buisness travel. Last minute
£200+ open-return jaunts to Manchester are going to be rarer.