Old February 5th 09, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line platforms at King's Cross

On 5 Feb, 22:34, wrote:
Can anyone shed any light on why the Victoria Line platforms at King's
Cross St Pancras have been in an absolutely disgraceful state for some
time, completely stripped of tiles but with nothing very much changing
and no publicity (that I've seen) announcing refurbishment work?

It seems ever so slightly ironic that St Pancras station is supposed
to give visitors from the continent such a great first impression of
London, but then when many of them get down to the Underground they're
confronted with such appallingly ugly Tube platforms...

They'll be in the process of being done up. I assume it's taking time
because it's all interconnected with other elements of the upgrade and
refurbishment of KXSP Underground station.

Anyway that was the kind of state some stations were in for *years*
before the whole Tube modernisation programme began in earnest. I
never approved of the Tube PPP, but I can understand the thinking of
some of the senior LU management at the time it was being proposed -
my understanding is that on the whole they didn't think it was a great
idea either, but they considered going along with it to be the only
way of getting the government to cough up money and get the network
modernised.

Anyway, I digress - KXSP will eventually be finished one day. And
before the Olympics, too.