Old February 10th 09, 04:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Ebbsfleet horse play

Mizter T wrote:
Excerpt from BBC News online...

A giant white horse has been chosen as a new £2m art commission for
south east England dubbed "Angel of the South".

Once built, it will dominate the north Kent landscape, standing as
high as Nelson's Column at about 164ft (50m).

The Barking Barrier is 60 metres high. I wish that it had been built to look
like a giant horse - this would not hinder the functionality, and would have
added little extra expense.

Old February 10th 09, 05:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10 Feb, 17:14, Robt P wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Mizter T wrote:

"The modern day London Eye is a somewhat absurd oversized
bit of a theme park stuck in the middle of central London,
but it's also great. Heck,........"

Foreboding of an accident...?

Nah, definitely not - the thing is totally solid and completely over-
engineered, just as big things like that should be.
Old February 10th 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote ...
"The modern day London Eye is a somewhat absurd oversized
bit of a theme park stuck in the middle of central London,
but it's also great. Heck,........"

Foreboding of an accident...?

Nah, definitely not - the thing is totally solid and completely over-
engineered, just as big things like that should be.

I agree; mind you, it was designed for a five-year life, as I recall.
That's why over-engineering is a Good Thing!
--

Andrew

"If A is success in life, then A = x + y + z.
Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut." ~ Albert Einstein

Old February 10th 09, 05:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

The Barking Barrier is 60 metres high. I wish that it had been built
to look like a giant horse

That should say "giant barking dog"

Old February 10th 09, 06:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10 Feb, 18:58, wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 06:12:36 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

So why the big horse? Big'orse that's what the general public seem to
want!

Yeah, I can certainly see the argument that a big'orse is not that
imaginative, indeed similar thoughts crossed my mind too - but that
doesn't mean it the finished thing won't be striking.

Perhaps I've got it all wrong and it is actually going to be
offensively ugly!

Hope it won't look to bad as if it does get built the area is likely
to be saddled with it for a long time.

G.harman

Hee haw, very good! But you've a point - we don't want locals braying
about it forevermore.

Old February 10th 09, 07:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10 Feb, 18:58, wrote:

So why the big horse? Big'orse that's what the general public seem to
want!

Hope it won't look to bad as if it does get built the area is likely to
be saddled with it for a long time.

Hee haw, very good! But you've a point - we don't want locals braying
about it forevermore.

On the flip side, it might help the area win EU funding.

tom

PS Say it quickly ^^^^^

--
I was employed by a Lacanian and, believe me, you don't want to see what
a postmodern approach to cashflow entails. -- G'
Old February 10th 09, 07:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Mizter T wrote:

I'm sure people will scoff, but my take on it is 'why not?'.

"The foal in the hole"
(With thanks to the people of Dublin)

A nightmare?
Derek

-----------------
-----------------
Old February 10th 09, 09:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:32:17 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Excerpt from BBC News online...

---quote---
A giant white horse has been chosen as a new £2m art commission for
south east England dubbed "Angel of the South".

How much has TP been forced to contribute ?
snip
Old February 11th 09, 05:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Am Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:32:17 UTC, schrieb Mizter T
auf uk.railway quoting BBC:

His design for the public art commission will see a horse standing on
all four hooves at 33 times life-size.

Once built, it will dominate the north Kent landscape, standing as
high as Nelson's Column at about 164ft (50m).

Since it is to be standing on all four hooves, the structure will
also be about 50 meters long or even longer. And wide in the range of
10 meters.

quite a big building.

Cheers,
L.W.

-- -----------------------------------------------------

Old February 11th 09, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Lüko Willms" wrote in message
Am Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:32:17 UTC, schrieb Mizter T
auf uk.railway quoting BBC:

His design for the public art commission will see a horse standing on
all four hooves at 33 times life-size.

Once built, it will dominate the north Kent landscape, standing as
high as Nelson's Column at about 164ft (50m).

Since it is to be standing on all four hooves, the structure will
also be about 50 meters long or even longer. And wide in the range of
10 meters.

quite a big building.

Cheers,
L.W.

This could turn out to be a Trojan horse when under cover of darkness
illegals pour out.
Derek