London Banter

-   -   OT - the joy of computerised mapping (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7684-ot-joy-computerised-mapping.html)

John Rowland March 6th 09 09:50 AM

OT - the joy of computerised mapping

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

[email protected] March 6th 09 12:37 PM

OT - the joy of computerised mapping

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...6~-0.130463&st
yle=r&lvl=12&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=15559499&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&en
cType=1

Huh? Did you mean the pop-up picture which is obviously not near Charing
Cross? It doesn't stay visible for long here.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

John Rowland March 6th 09 12:53 PM

OT - the joy of computerised mapping

wrote in message
In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...6~-0.130463&st
yle=r&lvl=12&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=15559499&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&en
cType=1

Huh? Did you mean the pop-up picture which is obviously not near Charing
Cross? It doesn't stay visible for long here.

Thanks. Complete cock up on my part. Should have been
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

[email protected] March 6th 09 01:06 PM

OT - the joy of computerised mapping

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...6~-0.130463&st
yle=r&lvl=12&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=15559499&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&en
cType=1

Huh? Did you mean the pop-up picture which is obviously not near
Charing Cross? It doesn't stay visible for long here.

Thanks. Complete cock up on my part. Should have been
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...68.658054~-135.
115356&style=r&lvl=9&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=15559499&phx=0&p
hy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Mackenzie?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tom Anderson March 6th 09 03:53 PM

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, John Rowland wrote:

Thanks. Complete cock up on my part. Should have been
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

Wrong colony, i know, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

I had a quick check, and the none of the Mississipi, Ganges, Irrawaddy and
Nile deltas, all of which are similar in geography, are annotated like
that. Presumably they're famous enough to have received some manual
tidyup. Also, none of them have a reindeer depot.

tom

--
if you can't beat them, build them

David Cantrell March 9th 09 10:59 AM

OT - the joy of computerised mapping

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 07:37:00AM -0600, wrote:
In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...6~-0.130463&st
yle=r&lvl=12&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=15559499&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&en
cType=1
Huh? Did you mean the pop-up picture which is obviously not near Charing
Cross? It doesn't stay visible for long here.

No, I think he means "To use this feature, open Live Search in Windows
Internet Explorer version 6 or 7".

Us Germans take our humour very seriously
-- German cultural attache talking to the Today Programme,
about the German supposed lack of a sense of humour, 29 Aug 2001

[email protected] March 9th 09 12:11 PM

On Mar 6, 4:53*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
I had a quick check, and the none of the Mississipi, Ganges, Irrawaddy and
Nile deltas, all of which are similar in geography, are annotated like
that. Presumably they're famous enough to have received some manual
tidyup. Also, none of them have a reindeer depot.

If you zoom in near the "reindeer depot", you'll see that Tuktoyaktuk
Winter Road and Aklavik Winter Road wander around in the river/lakes.
Is this a function of poor cartography, or that for part of the year
the roads are submerged? (Serious question, I am intrigued).

PhilD

John Rowland March 9th 09 12:27 PM

wrote:
On Mar 6, 4:53 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
I had a quick check, and the none of the Mississipi, Ganges,
Irrawaddy and Nile deltas, all of which are similar in geography,
are annotated like that. Presumably they're famous enough to have
received some manual tidyup. Also, none of them have a reindeer
depot.

If you zoom in near the "reindeer depot", you'll see that Tuktoyaktuk
Winter Road and Aklavik Winter Road wander around in the river/lakes.
Is this a function of poor cartography, or that for part of the year
the roads are submerged? (Serious question, I am intrigued).

The name "Winter Road" is a bit of a giveaway... the roads are only open
when the rivers and lakes are frozen.

Tom Anderson March 10th 09 07:00 PM

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, John Rowland wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 6, 4:53 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
I had a quick check, and the none of the Mississipi, Ganges,
Irrawaddy and Nile deltas, all of which are similar in geography,
are annotated like that. Presumably they're famous enough to have
received some manual tidyup. Also, none of them have a reindeer
depot.

If you zoom in near the "reindeer depot", you'll see that Tuktoyaktuk
Winter Road and Aklavik Winter Road wander around in the river/lakes.
Is this a function of poor cartography, or that for part of the year
the roads are submerged? (Serious question, I am intrigued).

The name "Winter Road" is a bit of a giveaway... the roads are only open
when the rivers and lakes are frozen.

ICE ROAD TRUCKERS!!

tom

--
Any problem in computer science can be solved with another layer of
indirection. But that usually will create another problem. -- David